Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Interesting: "Expedited No Fly List . . . Clearance" link on front of TSA website

Interesting: "Expedited No Fly List . . . Clearance" link on front of TSA website

Old Feb 4, 05, 6:07 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: BOS and vicinity
Programs: Former UA 1P
Posts: 3,710
Interesting: "Expedited No Fly List . . . Clearance" link on front of TSA website

Expedited No Fly List and Selectee List Clearance Procedures

We recognize that some passengers experience frustrating delays obtaining boarding passes at airports because they may have a name that is the same as, or similar to, that of a person who is on a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) watch list. We developed a procedure to expedite the watch list clearance procedures and ask that passengers who experience these delays submit information to TSA, including select personal documents, so that we may formally verify that their identity is distinct from persons on a TSA watch list. Please note that this process focuses on individuals who experience delays in receiving a boarding pass or are subjected to additional screening every time they pass through a TSA checkpoint. This procedure will not affect other standard screening procedures currently in effect at security screening checkpoints, and airlines may still require a brief period of time to comply with identity verification requirements at the ticket counter prior to issuing a boarding pass.

This is How the Process Works

Who may apply for help from this process?

This process only applies to a passenger who has been delayed as a result of the No Fly List or Selectee List clearance procedures when checking in for a boarding pass.

Who to contact

Transportation Security Administration (TSA), Office of the Ombudsman, at any one of the following:

Office of the Ombudsman
TSA Headquarters
601 South 12th Street – West Tower, TSA-22
Arlington, VA 22202
Toll-free: (866) 289-9673
Email: [email protected]
How the Process Works

* A passenger may contact the Office of the Ombudsman as specified above if delayed when checking in for a boarding pass due to the No Fly List or Selectee List clearance procedures.
* The Office of the Ombudsman will ask the passenger to explain what happened to ensure that the type of delay encountered may be addressed by these procedures. Once the Office of the Ombudsman confirms that the person’s experience may be addressed by these procedures, TSA will send a Passenger Identity Verification Form to the passenger for completion and return.
* TSA requests that the person submit a completed Passenger Identity Verification Form to TSA at the address shown on the TSA letter provided. This information may aid TSA’s ability to expedite the person’s check-in process for a boarding pass. Please note that except in the case of minor children, only the person seeking expedited No Fly List and Selectee List clearance procedures may submit the Passenger Identity Verification Form. The personal information requested on the Passenger Identity Verification Form consists of two parts:
o The first part includes: name; current address; gender; place of birth; date of birth; social security number; height; weight; hair color; eye color; and home and work telephone numbers.
o The second part requires the person to submit notarized copies of at least three of the following documents: passport (including number and country); visa (including number and place of issuance); birth certificate (including number and place of issuance) – if you select to use this document, it must be a certified copy of the original; naturalization certificate; certificate of citizenship; voter registration card; military discharge paper; driver’s license (including number and State of issuance); government identity card (city, State, or Federal); or military identification card.
* The Passenger Identity Verification Form also requires that the passenger sign and date the submission under: (i) a Privacy Act notice that explains the purpose and routine use of the information provided by the person; and (ii) a statement attesting to the truthfulness of the information and that knowingly and willfully making any materially false statement, or omission of a material fact, can be punished by fine, imprisonment, or both pursuant to title 18 of the United States Code, section 1001.
* TSA will review the submission and reach a determination of whether these procedures may aid in expediting a passenger’s check-in process for a boarding pass.
* If the clearance procedures will aid in expediting the person’s check-in process, TSA will contact the appropriate parties, such as the airlines, to help streamline this process for the passenger. TSA will also notify the passenger in writing of its finding. While TSA cannot ensure that these clearance procedures will relieve all delays, the procedures should facilitate a more efficient check-in process.
* Passengers who have received TSA’s written notification that the check-in process for a boarding pass has been streamlined should be aware that clearance at the check-in counter is ultimately based on the information that TSA provides to the airlines; not the notification letter.
* If a passenger continues to encounter delays in the issuance of a boarding pass during flight check-in, please contact TSA at: (866) 289-9673, or e-mail: [email protected].
www.tsa.gov
http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?th...000519800fb8af
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/e...orial_1829.xml


Nothing new here except TSA having the guts to put it on the front page of their website. Rather than starting with "We recognize that some passengers" it should be "We deeply apologize and regret that some passengers," but that's a nit pick.

Still a lot of question as to if the "clearance" process does any good.

Also interesting that TSA recognizes the Privacy Act impilcations of this clearance process as indicated in the text although they continue to fail to do so when an ETD alarms.
studentff is offline  
Old Feb 4, 05, 6:21 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 14
Now the TSA just needs to justify the violation of the Fifth Amendment that is the "No Fly List."
Sæculorum is offline  
Old Feb 5, 05, 9:04 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Home: Arlington, VA; Home airports: IAD/DCA/BWI
Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Posts: 4,088
Why doesn't the TSA do what professors do: do their research first then publish. Not publish, someone else finds a mistake, republish, repeat.

It should be TSA's burden to make sure the blacklist has the right people and with it the relevant information such as date of birth, etc.. Talk about "World Class Customer Service".

Personally, I think the No-Fly List is idiotic; in Israel and in the UK blacklists simply subjects people to more screening and more questions. In Israel, if you're really suspect, you're still allowed to board; however, sky marshalls will be more cautious about you.

- Pat
Wiirachay is offline  
Old Feb 5, 05, 11:15 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 704
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
Personally, I think the No-Fly List is idiotic; in Israel and in the UK blacklists simply subjects people to more screening and more questions. In Israel, if you're really suspect, you're still allowed to board; however, sky marshalls will be more cautious about you.
Very idiotic. It's easy to change one's identity by bribing a "passport agent" in a third world country to issue you a new passport with a new name.

And in Israel, if the security personnel think you're really suspicious, you'll be sitting next to a sky marshall on the plane.
Peetah is offline  
Old Feb 7, 05, 1:51 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 632
I called TSA in December about getting the ball rolling on this crap. When should I expect to receive the form or some kind of response from them? The whole process was supposed to take 45 days from the data I filled out the form, but now its been 45+ days since I called them, and I have yet to receive a form or any other request for information. What an absolute waste of time and security dollars.

What gets my goat even more is that the TSA could have at least put a PDF file of the PIV form so that I don't have to wait wait wondering whether or not someone trashed my original request.

The really dumb thing is that TSA obviously added anywhere from hundreds of thousands to millions of passengers to these lists. In effect they cast such a wide net, that now they are going to have to expend huge resources just to send out forms, review the forms, and notify airlines of the many corrections. What do they think the US is, Iraq with an estimated 40,000 insurgents running amok?

Last edited by Miggles; Feb 7, 05 at 2:07 am
Miggles is offline  
Old Feb 7, 05, 11:16 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 380
Expedited?

I submitted my paperwork on December 1 and continue to enjoy the same "special" treatment each time I fly (including yesterday). How is that expedited? On top of it, I can never reach a human at the Ombudsman's office so that I can actually confirm that they received my information and are processing it.
brooklynflyer is offline  
Old Feb 7, 05, 12:43 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: AA, WN RR
Posts: 3,122
Originally Posted by Miggles
I called TSA in December about getting the ball rolling on this crap. When should I expect to receive the form or some kind of response from them? The whole process was supposed to take 45 days from the data I filled out the form, but now its been 45+ days since I called them, and I have yet to receive a form or any other request for information. What an absolute waste of time and security dollars.

What gets my goat even more is that the TSA could have at least put a PDF file of the PIV form so that I don't have to wait wait wondering whether or not someone trashed my original request.

The really dumb thing is that TSA obviously added anywhere from hundreds of thousands to millions of passengers to these lists. In effect they cast such a wide net, that now they are going to have to expend huge resources just to send out forms, review the forms, and notify airlines of the many corrections. What do they think the US is, Iraq with an estimated 40,000 insurgents running amok?
With our porous borders, there could be 40,000 insurgents running around.
PatrickHenry1775 is offline  
Old Feb 7, 05, 12:45 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: AA, WN RR
Posts: 3,122
Originally Posted by Miggles
I called TSA in December about getting the ball rolling on this crap. When should I expect to receive the form or some kind of response from them? The whole process was supposed to take 45 days from the data I filled out the form, but now its been 45+ days since I called them, and I have yet to receive a form or any other request for information. What an absolute waste of time and security dollars.

What gets my goat even more is that the TSA could have at least put a PDF file of the PIV form so that I don't have to wait wait wondering whether or not someone trashed my original request.

The really dumb thing is that TSA obviously added anywhere from hundreds of thousands to millions of passengers to these lists. In effect they cast such a wide net, that now they are going to have to expend huge resources just to send out forms, review the forms, and notify airlines of the many corrections. What do they think the US is, Iraq with an estimated 40,000 insurgents running amok?
With our porous borders, there could be 40,000 insurgents running around. But TSA is keeping us safe with its shoe checks, so don't worry.
PatrickHenry1775 is offline  
Old Feb 7, 05, 6:12 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
Posts: 1,962
i still want some really smart computer hacker to put every congressman/woman who voted in favor of the patriot act and TSA funding on the no-fly list, as well as all known friends and family members of these people
sowalsky is offline  
Old Feb 7, 05, 7:36 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Roseville, California (SMF)
Programs: Luckest hitchhiker ever! WN CSA/SMF
Posts: 440
Originally Posted by sowalsky
i still want some really smart computer hacker to put every congressman/woman who voted in favor of the patriot act and TSA funding on the no-fly list, as well as all known friends and family members of these people
I agree! Wouldn't that be a lot of fun for us?
jaylenofan86 is offline  
Old Feb 7, 05, 11:27 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9
Forget 45 days

Originally Posted by brooklynflyer
I submitted my paperwork on December 1 and continue to enjoy the same "special" treatment each time I fly (including yesterday). How is that expedited? On top of it, I can never reach a human at the Ombudsman's office so that I can actually confirm that they received my information and are processing it.
I sent my documents via certified mail to TSA and they received it the first week of November. Nearly 70 days later I received the TSA letter "verifying my identity". The bottom of the letter is a directive to airline personnel and law enforcement officers that I have the same or similiar name to someone who is prohibited from flying or requires additional screening. It says: "TSA includes names and personal identifying data on cleared individuals as additional information on the TSA watch lists."

So, basically, I have to carry this letter with me whenever I fly from now on.
TXtimonial is offline  
Old Feb 7, 05, 11:35 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 380
Originally Posted by TXtimonial
I sent my documents via certified mail to TSA and they received it the first week of November. Nearly 70 days later I received the TSA letter "verifying my identity". The bottom of the letter is a directive to airline personnel and law enforcement officers that I have the same or similiar name to someone who is prohibited from flying or requires additional screening. It says: "TSA includes names and personal identifying data on cleared individuals as additional information on the TSA watch lists."

So, basically, I have to carry this letter with me whenever I fly from now on.
So, my question is whether you are now able to check in online or use the kiosks or whether you still need to see a human being at checkin. If it's the latter, I don't see how that's an improvement. As it already stands, they issue my boarding passes immediately after verifying my birthday so the letter would not be worth the paper it's written on to me.
brooklynflyer is offline  
Old Feb 8, 05, 3:22 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Arizona
Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Posts: 2,420
o The second part requires the person to submit notarized copies of at least three of the following documents:
This is funny. I checked with 2 secretaries, my local bank branch manager and the clerk at a UPS Store who are all Notaries. Not one of them would EVER notarize a photocopy of ANY document!!! I had to send a copy of my ID along with paperwork to transfer the (collectable) license plate to a friend in my old state. The transfer form had to be notarized but since it was a 1/3 sheet of paper, I asked my branch manager to copy my DL along with the transfer form. She wouldn't do it saying that notary stamps can never ever be used on a photocopy of anything! Even though they used that very same ID to cash a $3000 check, they won't notarize a copy of it! Sending certified copies of birth certificates should be no problem but how are people going to get notarized copies of their passports if a Notary won't stamp a photocopy?
jonesing is offline  
Old Feb 8, 05, 9:15 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by brooklynflyer
So, my question is whether you are now able to check in online or use the kiosks or whether you still need to see a human being at checkin. If it's the latter, I don't see how that's an improvement. As it already stands, they issue my boarding passes immediately after verifying my birthday so the letter would not be worth the paper it's written on to me.

Yes, I can checkin online.

But, because I have no faith in this whole process, I still carry this letter with me when flying.
TXtimonial is offline  
Old Feb 8, 05, 7:08 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 684
Originally Posted by jonesing
Sending certified copies of birth certificates should be no problem but how are people going to get notarized copies of their passports if a Notary won't stamp a photocopy?
I've had notaries stamp photocopies of many documents in the past; of course, I had to bring the original document along so that they could compare it to the photocopy and insure the copy was an exact duplicate of the original.
artemis is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread