Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

President proposes increasing taxes on air tickets to pay for security

President proposes increasing taxes on air tickets to pay for security

Old Jan 30, 05, 12:59 am

Programs: CO; HH; HZ
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Unbelievable. The reporter screwed up the numbers, but any talk of increasing taxes on air travel is just plane moronic.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...and_security_4
As I am MCO based, my thoughts are:

*Additional taxes/fees should be passed on to leisure flyers
*Airlines should not be granted "Get Out of Jail Free" cards
*Our President should not have a valid option to tax the flying public, while we pay for AF1, et al, to Crawford and Camp David almost monthly
*TSA needs help, especially at MCO
*Dovester has a great understanding of the industry from several perspectives, along with great senses for humor and diplomacy
*TSA has done a very good job for any of my flights that have safely landed
*Bart makes some valild points
*Stuffed plush toys and mylar balloons are not acceptable carry-on items
*Lap babies/small children should be seated aft, not business travelers lurking in coach (LOL - I have a choice in CO SE?)
*Airline Senior Managment needs to take some cuts before screwing unions
*Unions need to realize they only screw revenue sources when they strike

Last edited by OtownJack; Jan 30, 05 at 1:06 am Reason: Forgot something
Old Jan 30, 05, 1:08 am

That's all fine and dandy about your nephew. I'm sorry he feels the need to get out instead of trying to change things. I still say you can't sweep with that broad a stroke. I believe the CG on a whole is doing a good job. These men and women are doing what they can with what they have within the parameters set for them. I know more then enough CG men and women who go above and beyond what their jobs ask of them. We're never going to agree on the view of what the CG does. I do think you're doing them a disservice by lumping all they do is stumble upon things and basically don't know their ... from a hole in the ground. I know some truly exceptional CG people and am proud that they take the time to serve their country.
Old Jan 30, 05, 1:19 am

Mike do you want the truth about the CG, Well here it is it is a small service that not alot of people know about but it does more than you will ever know. I think that you should show some respect for people that are out there everyday trying to protect your friends and family.As for the comment about the CG spending most of their time on fire and lifeboat drills that's what they do. What do you want them to do never practice and when it comes time for them to DO THEIR JOBS they won't know what to do! That is what practice is for. What did you say that you do? You write stats on a piece of paper. You say that your nephew is CG Commandant and is retiring this year, how old does that make you? As for the way that you are describing your job it sounds like you do all the grunt work and you are a pencil pusher. YOu have no idea what really goes on in the CG, the day you can do their job post again.

Last edited by Cholula; Jan 30, 05 at 9:23 am Reason: Removed Inflammatory Commentary
Old Jan 30, 05, 1:20 am

Mike I am not sure why you think your nephew was "CG commandant for another major SE/Gulf port and is now based with their rapid response team at Fort Dix" but for the record, there is only ONE CG commandant, he is in Washington DC, and he does not move on to any other position in the US Coast Guard upon retirement. You misunderstand your nephews position or he has misrepresented himself to you.

Nephew's "sea stories" not withstanding, the fact is the US Coast Guard spends a large portion of its budget (though I question your "most") on "fire and lifeboat" drills because that is what the Coast Guard does on a daily basis. Basic search and rescue operations which incolude dewatering and firefighting.

It may also interest you to understand that cargo inspections are only a small part of the Big Law Enforcement picture in the USCG. The USCG is also the nations primary enforcment agency in fisheries enforcement and maritime drug interdiction. And yes Mike, it is true, the Coast Guard also is forced to use a great amount of resources in human smuggling- illegal immigration, sometimes the terrorist type, more often the lettuce picker and household help type, are alive and well on the high seas and too often such immigration involves vessels not sea worthy- where lives are in immediate jeopardy.

Funding? The USCG has consistantly adopted a "do more with less" attitude over the past decade, because they have had to thanks to Americas politicians. In fact, I challenge you to name ANY American government agency that has anywhere near the number of missions with anywhere near as narrow a budget as the USCG.

Last edited by Cholula; Jan 30, 05 at 9:32 am Reason: Removed Inflammatory Comments
Old Jan 30, 05, 3:34 am

Mike, you definitely haven't any inkling of what the USCG is about and what the USCG's critical missions are or entail.

You should really stick to your calculator and leave Coast Guard matters to the Coast Guard professionals.

Oh yeah, and it's "ought" not aught
Old Jan 30, 05, 4:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Gargoyle89, GeneralJ, BluesClue, BobbyB, Dangling_Participle, I have to admit that if I were the suspicious type, I would tend to think that there is some connection between 5 people who joined FlyerTalk on the same day, posted on the same topic, and have the same opinion.

I will even go so far as to confess that I doubt that you are all part of the same Infantry outfit.

Are you shipmates? New London cadets? Civilian members of the Coast Guard Auxiliary?

Numbers in posting won't particularly advance your argument but filling us in on your background and expertise might well.
Old Jan 30, 05, 5:22 am

Dovster this was mentioned in a private chat room for uscg active duty mbrs, veterans, auxiliarists, and spouses. As you can imagine due to our frequent transfers far from family, we are a frequent flyer lot so it shouldn't be any surprise some members here may be uscg affiliated and spread the word.
Old Jan 30, 05, 5:39 am

BluesClue, firstly, welcome to all of you.

As I said earlier, sheer numbers won't carry your arguments (on this or any other issue) but if each of you could give some indication of your expertise this would add great weight to what you are saying.

I would also advise you not to follow the path that some (but far from all) TSA employees have followed on F/T and give your organization blind support. When you feel the USCG is wrong, say so. This will make us respect your opinions much more when you argue that it is right.

As frequent flyers, I hope you will take advantage of the information available on the other forums on FlyerTalk -- especially those which apply to the particular airlines you usually fly.
Old Jan 30, 05, 8:01 am
Suspended

Well despite oh so subtle attempt to being overrun by the " herd of sheep" here, I stand by all I have said above, go ahead and nitpick my use of command chain terminology if you so desire.

If as a nation we are depending soley on the USCG to protect our ports we are in some serious trouble, they cant even stem the flow of narcotics coming from some far less sophiisticated operatives in S.A.

One final comment, I knew it was'nt going to be too long before somebody would bring up Kerry ( and the Democrats) so I will get in my own political shot here.
Perhaps we might MAY NOT HAVE to spend as much resources on port security if GWB had not attacked Iraq to avenge his daddy.

With that I withdraw gracefully from the scene, try not to get seasick.

mike
Old Jan 30, 05, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
This thread appears to have attracted a number of new posters who claim to be affiliated with the USCG. While we always encourage new members in this Forum, Id like to remind all posters to respect each others opinions. Attacks on individual posters will not be allowed and such posts are subject to editing and/or suspension of posting privileges.
Thanks for your cooperation.

Cholula

Travel Safety/Security Forum Moderator
Old Jan 30, 05, 10:35 am

Programs: 1 month free at curves,Subway Sub Club, Alameda Library
Originally Posted by Dovster

I would also advise you not to follow the path that some (but far from all) TSA employees have followed on F/T and give your organization blind support. When you feel the USCG is wrong, say so. This will make us respect your opinions much more when you argue that it is right.
Nice! get that TSA jab in....

I am confused here DOVSTER...you made this comment....

This thread reminds me of a line from "The Simpsons".

Homer drove his car off of a pier and the Coast Guard lifted it (and him) out of the water with a helicopter.

"I'll never badmouth the Coast Guard again," Homer said as the car was going up. "You Navy rejects are OK!"
You live in Israel? How do you have pertinent information to contribute on this subject? Do you travel by cargo ship?

Just someone standing on the sidelines ragging on the people in the game I suppose. Well, we all need our hobbies I suppose.

Last edited by trixievictoria; Jan 30, 05 at 10:52 am
Old Jan 30, 05, 10:37 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Delta, UA Premier 1K, Hawaiian Air
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Perhaps we might MAY NOT HAVE to spend as much resources on port security if GWB had not attacked Iraq to avenge his daddy.
mike
And now that we've done Iraq, we're gonna go after Iran next. Get used to it shipmate.

Your "allies" the French can wait. Give war a chance.

Last edited by MMA95D; Jan 30, 05 at 10:40 am
Old Jan 30, 05, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by trixievictoria
I am confused here DOVSTER...you made this comment....

You live in Israel? How do you have pertinent information to contribute on this subject? Do you travel by cargo ship?
Since when is a joke from The Simpsons pertinent information?

I did, however, manage to live in the U.S. for the first 34 years of my life. I even got around to serving in the U.S. Army in Vietnam. Does that qualify me to comment on some aspects of American life and military?
Old Jan 30, 05, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bstrickmma
And now that we've done Iraq, we're gonna go after Iran next. Get used to it shipmate.

Your "allies" the French can wait. Give war a chance.
Done Iraq ????

Woe is me how could I possibly counter your astute and so well reasoned points?
You brought up the French .. that trumps everything i could possibly say.
mike
Old Jan 30, 05, 12:40 pm

but if each of you could give some indication of your expertise this would add great weight to what you are saying.
Sure can do Dovster.

I am a USCG veteran. My husband has been active duty USCG for 18 years in the Marine field - he is responsible for Pollution Response in one of the nation's biggest Ports. In fact, he has been attached to 3 of the USA's biggest ports since enlisting - our current unit being the second time he has been here. Our next unit will make the Port of San Francisco look like Disneyland. I have been in and around the Marine Safety world for 10 yrs and I know it from an insider's perspective. The USCG is a family thing as well. My brother-in-law is a Vessel Inspector and been in the USCG's Marine field for 15 yrs.

Both my husband and my BIL are Senior Enlisted (E-7 through E-9).

Search this Thread