For those who use elite security lines...

Old Jan 25, 05, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
For those who use elite security lines...

I was hoping they would move this thread over here. It is not AA specific.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393029

Here's the skinny. The ORD FSD is telling all passengers to go to whetever screening line is emptiest, regardless of whether it is marked as an elite line.
Old Jan 25, 05, 9:18 am

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
These guys need to get a clue about customer services. It seems as if the airlines are trying and the TSA is clueless about its approach to the flying public. Nothing like stating the obvious, right?
Old Jan 25, 05, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by Dresden
These guys need to get a clue about customer services. It seems as if the airlines are trying and the TSA is clueless about its approach to the flying public. Nothing like stating the obvious, right?
Why should TSA care about the flying public? We are idiots, who are probably terrorists. The wonderful feds are all that separate the airlines from ruin at our hands, or rather shoes.
Old Jan 26, 05, 6:41 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
I was hoping they would move this thread over here. It is not AA specific.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393029

Here's the skinny. The ORD FSD is telling all passengers to go to whetever screening line is emptiest, regardless of whether it is marked as an elite line.
Not sure of the AA ORD setup, but don't the pax end up at the same set of metal detectors, just the elite line bypasses the queue? Or do they have a metal detector setup specifically for the AA elites or a different queuing system (see below, FastTrack @ LGW)?

I feel it's in their best interest to get pax through quickly using all resources, but if an AA premium pax comes up and the elite/FC queue is full of non-elites/FC's, that is wrong.

If they are pulling the pax from the front of the regular queue and sending them over to a far lane used for elites when it's slow, that's ok, as it gets more pax through and doesn't burden the elites as the next one in line should be able to proceed through.

I suppose I'll have to look at the thread to see how it's being done.

BTW: Speaking of "Elite Lines", anyone experience the FastTrack lane at LGW? At peak hours, the FastTrack Lane will typically be full of EasyJet (equivalent of Southwest here in the USA) passengers as they enter the regular area/queues with their ID check and then are directed right into the FastTrack queue. The way that is setup, I strongly disagree with the actions of the BAA. If no one was in the FastTrack lane, I could understand sending a few over, but sometimes that queue is as long as the others because other pax, primarily with EasyJet BP's from what I've noticed, end up in this queue.

FastTrack at LGW can be a joke some days, but it's the BAA who is doing this who is responsible for security at LGW. On a bright note, it moves fast - no shoe removal or other silly requests. Note: One ID check.

SDF_Traveler

Last edited by SDF_Traveler; Jan 26, 05 at 6:43 am
Old Jan 27, 05, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
Not sure of the AA ORD setup, but don't the pax end up at the same set of metal detectors, just the elite line bypasses the queue? Or do they have a metal detector setup specifically for the AA elites or a different queuing system (see below, FastTrack @ LGW)?

BTW: Speaking of "Elite Lines", anyone experience the FastTrack lane at LGW? At peak hours, the FastTrack Lane will typically be full of EasyJet (equivalent of Southwest here in the USA) passengers as they enter the regular area/queues with their ID check and then are directed right into the FastTrack queue. The way that is setup, I strongly disagree with the actions of the BAA. If no one was in the FastTrack lane, I could understand sending a few over, but sometimes that queue is as long as the others because other pax, primarily with EasyJet BP's from what I've noticed, end up in this queue.

FastTrack at LGW can be a joke some days, but it's the BAA who is doing this who is responsible for security at LGW. On a bright note, it moves fast - no shoe removal or other silly requests. Note: One ID check.

SDF_Traveler
I did post on this on the LGW section.
The truth about the fast track at LGW is that BAA are fined large sums of money if the queue lengths at security exceed 10 minutes more than a certain number of times each month. If moving people into the Fast Track line will keep the queue lengths down this is what they do.
Its nothing to do with Easyjet, they are now the second biggest airline at Gatwick and as the biggest operates out of the other terminal, this is why you are seeing so much of them.
Old Jan 27, 05, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
The truth about the fast track at LGW is that BAA are fined large sums of money if the queue lengths at security exceed 10 minutes more than a certain number of times each month.
Now there is an idea. Lets fine TSA if the lines at an airport exceed 10 minutes more than 10 times in a month. Or the FSD personally. Maybe then we would get rational security.
Old Jan 27, 05, 5:28 pm

The truth about the fast track at LGW is that BAA are fined large sums of money if the queue lengths at security exceed 10 minutes more than a certain number of times each month. If moving people into the Fast Track line will keep the queue lengths down this is what they do.
Its nothing to do with Easyjet, they are now the second biggest airline at Gatwick and as the biggest operates out of the other terminal, this is why you are seeing so much of them.
I wasn't aware they were fined. Not a bad idea; The airports and air carriers should be able to fine the TSA when lines exceed 10 minutes more than x number of times each month.

As far as Fast Track, it was always my understanding the airlines which used Fast Track paid for the "service" (?). While EasyJet is the largest which operates out of the south terminal, I'd speculate EasyJet doesn't pay anything for the Fast Track lane.

Additionally, when you do depart the UK in a premium cabin, which gets you Fast Track Access, you must cough up an extra 25 GBP in taxes/fees (near 50 USD). That said, it really irks me when the Fast Track is no different than any other queues, especially at peak times.

Despite this, I'll have to admit they're typically efficient at LGW given the passenger #'s.

Best,

SDF_Traveler
Old Jan 28, 05, 12:57 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Here's my post from the United Forum regarding my recent experience at the Elite Security Line at SFO on 1/17/05.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=19

Perhaps their lines would move more quickly if it weren't an ALL SHOES OFF or you get secondary airport.
Old Jan 28, 05, 1:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
I wasn't aware they were fined. Not a bad idea; The airports and air carriers should be able to fine the TSA when lines exceed 10 minutes more than x number of times each month.

SDF_Traveler

I believe that if fines are levied, the money does go back to the airlines using that terminal, where it gets interesting is if the airlines or their handling agents contribute to the queues, for example by not opening the check ins on time.
As a rule of thumb if the queues go beyond the first row of columns, the 10 minute rule is at risk. At this point you will see security staff out among the passengers trying to reduce the number of times the x-ray screens go off by getting passengers to remove all likely set off items from their person and onto the x-ray belt. You'd be amazed how quickly this reduces the queues.
Old Jan 28, 05, 5:48 am

I believe that if fines are levied, the money does go back to the airlines using that terminal, where it gets interesting is if the airlines or their handling agents contribute to the queues, for example by not opening the check ins on time.
As a rule of thumb if the queues go beyond the first row of columns, the 10 minute rule is at risk. At this point you will see security staff out among the passengers trying to reduce the number of times the x-ray screens go off by getting passengers to remove all likely set off items from their person and onto the x-ray belt. You'd be amazed how quickly this reduces the queues.
I've noticed this a couple of times, primarily in the queues towards the left when I'm flying Y and don't get that Fast Track sticker. I probably have a few ticket jackets around with Fast Track stickers on them which can be re-used though

I find they're extremely efficient given the # of passengers that come through though -- and the screeners will do anything necessary to get you through the WTMD quickly. I once tried taking off a light zip up sweater and putting it on the x-ray (as required here in the states), "Mate, it's just a jumper, you can wear it through" It's also interesting watching them tell folks (Americans) they don't need to take their shoes off, leave them on and enter the WTMD. It really speeds things up. While removing a light zip-up sweater doesn't take much time, that is one extra item to go through the x-ray machine, which likewise won't beep at the WTMD.

Most mornings when I've entered the checkpoint at LGW, the queue usually starts immediately behind the ID/Ticket check counters. I find it's like this on Sundays/Mondays during the trans-Atlantic outbound push, which is when I typically depart the UK. By taking NW31, which is the last US departure (I believe) out of the S terminal, I find the queues are still built up, but not as bad. If I take the MSP flight or EWR on CO, it's usually more hectic as US, AA, and CO have other flights in the same window. Even though it's only a handful of flights between NW/CO/US/AA, I suspect it makes up a large % of the #'s in the mornings during that time frame.

SDF_Traveler

Search this Thread