Search

Cabin lighting during takeoff/landing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2005, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD *G, DL PM, HH Gold
Cabin lighting during takeoff/landing

Hello everyone,
I think I'll take a break from TSA-bashing and ask a safety-related question.

Over the holidays, I flew AA internationally for the first time in quite a while. I was departing from DFW on Dec. 22--the day where there was snow and sub-freezing temperatures. We ended up leaving around 9 PM, so outside it was pitch black--and a relatively risky time to depart with the storm. However, the cabin lights were on the brightest position for the entire taxi and takeoff.

On every flight I can remember, the cabin lights were dimmed appropriately to the ambient (outside) level, so that in case an evac were necessary everyone's eyes would be adjusted to the outside light.

Is it AA's policy to not dim cabin lights? Is there some law/policy that suggests the lights should be dimmed?

Thanks for your help!

Adam
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, there's no AA policy to keep the cabin lights brightly lit. The FA near the light switch just botched it. Probably forgot.

On 99% of my AA flights, the cabin lights are dimmed.

Don't know about whether there exist any FAA rules requiring that lights be dimmed, but since the odds that there will be an emergency evac on takeoff or landing are about the same as winning the lottery, I don't worry about it.

I even take off my shoes once I'm settled in my seat; there are worry-worts who insist that they should remain on until the aircraft reaches 10k feet.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:09 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I also noticed that flying AA at night to SCL. Something else I found odd was that after take-off, one of the flight attendants closed my window shade (I had my eyes closed but was still awake). I woke up and saw her closing a bunch of other window shades. After a minute, I opened my window shade and no one complained.

Lights on, window shades closed, on a night flight? Sounds pretty stupid to me!
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:11 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
No, there's no AA policy to keep the cabin lights brightly lit. The FA near the light switch just botched it. Probably forgot.

On 99% of my AA flights, the cabin lights are dimmed.

Don't know about whether there exist any FAA rules requiring that lights be dimmed, but since the odds that there will be an emergency evac on takeoff or landing are about the same as winning the lottery, I don't worry about it.

I even take off my shoes once I'm settled in my seat; there are worry-worts who insist that they should remain on until the aircraft reaches 10k feet.
So, it's no big deal to leave the lights on and take your shoes off during take-off roll, but holding a lap child is tantamount to child abuse?

Are you a worry-wort or not? Make up your mind.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I believe it's an FAA regulation (I would need to search Part 121, I think it's in there) that cabin lighting be adjusted prior to takeoff/landing to permit the passengers' eyes a chance to adjust to the lighting level outside the cabin, in case of an evacuation. I have been on flights where this did not happen, and it was probably an oversight by the FA.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JS
I also noticed that flying AA at night to SCL. Something else I found odd was that after take-off, one of the flight attendants closed my window shade (I had my eyes closed but was still awake). I woke up and saw her closing a bunch of other window shades. After a minute, I opened my window shade and no one complained.

Lights on, window shades closed, on a night flight? Sounds pretty stupid to me!
This is definitely a wild guess, but perhaps the FAs are trying to keep pax from going to sleep before/during takeoff. Their logic might be that if there were a crash (and yes, I understand that it is a ridiculously remote chance) it would be most important for the pax to be awake and alert instead of their eyes adjusted. That's all I can think of. Anyone have other possible reasons?

Thanks,
Adam
Old Jan 18, 2005, 1:36 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
to add a question.....iirc, wasn't it a requirement in the past that all window shades be up during takeoff and landing. i remember f/a's making the announcement but then again, times change and i age and become forgetful....
Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Well, since there seem to be more questions than answers, I think I will have some time today to look through the FAR. I will let you know if I find anything.

Adam
Old Jan 19, 2005, 8:38 pm

OK. Here's a question. So what IF something happens on take-off at night. They dim the cabin lighting prior to takeoff (its rather low) ... and now I need to evacuate. Do the lights that guide me to the exit door light everything up enough so I can actually do so? They don't seem very big. I would think more lighting would be better - although realize that full lighting would blind the passenger after exiting the aircraft.

-Chris
Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:38 pm

The cabin lighting on take-off and landing is usually set to match whatever's outside - so that your eyes don't have to adjust. I don't think it's an FAR, just company policy that may vary, but my manual is in my car and it's too cold to go out to get to tell you for sure.

Originally Posted by chrislacey
OK. Here's a question. So what IF something happens on take-off at night. They dim the cabin lighting prior to takeoff (its rather low) ... and now I need to evacuate. Do the lights that guide me to the exit door light everything up enough so I can actually do so? They don't seem very big. I would think more lighting would be better
Well, the emergency lighting isn't designed to light up the whole cabin so that you can see. But if it's dark or smokey, you should be able to follow the lights to an exit. On US carriers, the white lights go down the aisle, and the red lights indicate that you're near an exit. The exit signs should also be illuminated, too.

Last edited by flymeaway; Jan 19, 2005 at 9:45 pm
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by chrislacey
OK. Here's a question. So what IF something happens on take-off at night. They dim the cabin lighting prior to takeoff (its rather low) ... and now I need to evacuate. Do the lights that guide me to the exit door light everything up enough so I can actually do so? They don't seem very big. I would think more lighting would be better - although realize that full lighting would blind the passenger after exiting the aircraft.

-Chris

It is assumed that if the emergency lights come on, it is because the power on board has failed. The cabin lights would be of no use. The emergency lighting has both interior and exterior lights to help people exit, and as the previous poster stated the red lights indicate the exit rows.

As for the cabin lighting being dimmed, it is a requirement and not airline policy. If it has been overlooked, it is definitely an FA mistake.

And the blinds should be up near window and door exits for take off in order to assess that outside conditions are safe if an evacuation is necessary. If left closed, they could end up stuck in the closed position if any structural damage occurs.

Hope this helps answer your questions
Old Jan 21, 2005, 9:52 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by internationalgal
As for the cabin lighting being dimmed, it is a requirement and not airline policy.
Can you provide a reference where this requirement is stated ? I don't see anything in FAR Part 121 which governs US operations. I haven't searched other countries' equivalents.

Genuine question
Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Internationalgal, thanks for your help! Your explanations make sense to me.

However, I second wally bird's question. I looked through the FAR 121 yesterday and couldn't find anything. I'd be curious if anyone can point me to a specific federal requirement or perhaps something in flight attendants' manuals.

Thanks again,
Adam
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:00 pm

Fair enough!

I should have mentioned In Canada...
Stated In Safety Opreation Manual- and Ministry of Transport regulations...

Usually is mirrored in FAA regulatons, but I do not have accesst this document

Sorry!
Old Jan 24, 2005, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by internationalgal
It is assumed that if the emergency lights come on, it is because the power on board has failed.
Not necessarily...we turn the emergency lights on during any evac - whether power has failed or not. The FA's turn them on when we get an "easy victor" from the cockpit - or the pilots turn them on to signal the start of an evac if they are unable to make the announcement.

They are designed to work in the event of a power failure, but they're still used if the cabin lighting is operable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.