FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   How long to wait for a response from local TSA office? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/389018-how-long-wait-response-local-tsa-office.html)

mot29 Jan 12, 2005 3:08 pm

How long to wait for a response from local TSA office?

On Dec. 26, I got an SSSS search at DFW because of being rebooked from DL to AA to accomodate a flight interruption. In the course of the inspection, the memory stick in my Sony PDA was dislodged -- it was there on my flight from MSY-DFW because I listened to an audio book, but when I turned it on for the next flight, it was gone.
I called TSA's contact number in DFW, and left voice mail as requested with all relevant information. About a week later I got a call from the TSA "stakeholder services manager" (or some such title) at DFW asking about the type of memory stick, etc. I gave him the information, and noted that TSA had in fact written down my name when I was searched and that I noticed that they were handling not only my PDA, but another while I was being wanded.
He indicated that he would check into it and get back to me.
Anyone else have similar experiences? How much more time should I give them to respond?
Thanks.
tom

BoulderFlyer Jan 12, 2005 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by mot29
On Dec. 26, I got an SSSS search at DFW because of being rebooked from DL to AA to accomodate a flight interruption. In the course of the inspection, the memory stick in my Sony PDA was dislodged -- it was there on my flight from MSY-DFW because I listened to an audio book, but when I turned it on for the next flight, it was gone.
I called TSA's contact number in DFW, and left voice mail as requested with all relevant information. About a week later I got a call from the TSA "stakeholder services manager" (or some such title) at DFW asking about the type of memory stick, etc. I gave him the information, and noted that TSA had in fact written down my name when I was searched and that I noticed that they were handling not only my PDA, but another while I was being wanded.
He indicated that he would check into it and get back to me.
Anyone else have similar experiences? How much more time should I give them to respond?
Thanks.
tom

I left a laptop behind at DEN once. I didn't realize I had done so until the flight I was on from DEN arrived at my destination. I called the TSA in DEN and spoke directly to a TSA supervisor. They had my laptop and arranged to hand it over to DEN Lost and Found...where my wife picked it up the next day and FedEx'd it to me. As much as I give the DEN TSA crap about their shoe carnival, I was impressed with their lost and found service.

Of course, a left behind laptop is much more noticeable than a memory stick.

TSAMGR Jan 14, 2005 9:47 pm

How much more time should I give them to respond?

Call them.

Ralph Tucker is the Stakeholder Manager. Phone # 972-304-2764
Chuck Sloan is the Customer Service Manager. Phone # 972-304-2768

mot29 Jan 15, 2005 10:10 am

Ralph Tucker is the person who originally called me. I'll call him back on Tuesday -- figuring they are taking the federal holiday on Monday?
Thanks.
Tom

SDF_Traveler Jan 15, 2005 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by BoulderFlyer
I left a laptop behind at DEN once. I didn't realize I had done so until the flight I was on from DEN arrived at my destination. I called the TSA in DEN and spoke directly to a TSA supervisor. They had my laptop and arranged to hand it over to DEN Lost and Found...where my wife picked it up the next day and FedEx'd it to me. As much as I give the DEN TSA crap about their shoe carnival, I was impressed with their lost and found service.

Of course, a left behind laptop is much more noticeable than a memory stick.

I lost a document holder with my passport inside at SDF once. A private security officer found it and turned it over to SDF police. The SDF police called and left me a voicemail on my home phone before I even knew I had lost it.

When I got home I realized I didn't have it on me. After double checking the car I went to the phone to call the airport. I noticed the voicemail light on, so I checked that first -- low and behold it was the SDF airport police and a message from an officer letting me know it was found and in their posession for safekeeping.

I returned to pick it up the next day and personally thanked the officer who took the time to call me. They have a small office up at the front of the airport on the departures level, but they're a great group of people.

Kudos to the SDF Airport Police and the great job they do!

SDF_Traveler

mot29 Jan 20, 2005 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by TSAMGR
Call them.

Ralph Tucker is the Stakeholder Manager. Phone # 972-304-2764
Chuck Sloan is the Customer Service Manager. Phone # 972-304-2768

Thanks for the suggestion to call back. He returned my call today and didn't remember our first conversation. I followed up with an e-mail, but what I thought was going to be a positive interaction is starting to turn bad. When I was ssss screened, they noted my name and the time on a sheet of some kind. When I indicated to Tucker that he should be able to find a record of the screening on that sheet, he seemed surprised that they were logging the screenings. What?
He gets a week, then I guess I take it to the next step, whatever that is?
tom

LessO2 Jan 20, 2005 7:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestion to call back. He returned my call today and didn't remember our first conversation. I followed up with an e-mail, but what I thought was going to be a positive interaction is starting to turn bad. When I was ssss screened, they noted my name and the time on a sheet of some kind. When I indicated to Tucker that he should be able to find a record of the screening on that sheet, he seemed surprised that they were logging the screenings. What?
He gets a week, then I guess I take it to the next step, whatever that is?
tom

It looks like they're taking you the "baffle him with BS" route. Be persistent!

trixievictoria Jan 20, 2005 8:47 pm

It looks like they're taking you the "baffle him with BS" route. Be persistent!
I am sure that is it..because the OP was the only person to go through that airport to lose their PDA memory stick and the TSA guy is just laughing an evil laugh at baffeling them with the BS because he is supplementing his salary with PDA black market sales....and he has nothing to do but wring his hands and count PDA memory sticks.....all day long....

mot29 I agree be persistent...do you think if they don't find it they will reimburse you financially? I don't know if that is any consolation but it might be an option...did you lose important information? My husband can't live with out that PDA on the road and I couldn't imagine if he lost the memory stick from it...I hope things work out for you.

mot29 Jan 20, 2005 9:13 pm

trixievictoria
Thanks for asking. Fortunately, the memory stick only held some audible.com audio books, all of which are on my hard drive and can be downloaded again from the audible site. And, when I hotsync the PDA with my desktop, it fortunately backs itself up.
I intend to file a claim for replacement -- I even still have the receipt which should really wow them.
Take care.
tom

mot29 Feb 5, 2005 11:20 am

No satisfaction yet

As I expected, no satisfaction from TSA yet. The stakeholder manager eventually got back to me with the information to contact AA's lost and found at DFW because it seemed they had some memory sticks.
So, I called and emailed them, but there message is -- you will only hear from us if we have something. And I've not heard from them in a few days.

So, I guess I'll file a TSA claim for reimbursement. What is most irritating is that when I was SSSS searched, they took copied my name from my passport. Now, no one acknowledges that they keep such a record.

tom