FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   my expierence lax t6 elite line january 8, 2005 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/387956-my-expierence-lax-t6-elite-line-january-8-2005-a.html)

goalie Jan 9, 2005 6:18 pm

my expierence lax t6 elite line january 8, 2005

lax, january 8, 2005-it was raining and the smoking patio in t6 was closed so i had to go outside.....

i/d and bp to enter line
up the stairs
asked to show bp at top of the stairs
stuff placed on the belt
required to hand bp THRU wtmd to screener on the other side
had to wait for it as it went thru x-ray inside my jacket (sop whenever i fly with no problems)
TOLD to remove shoes
can't due to orthopedics
"what are they"
support for my ankle to due to surgery
you have to take you shoes off
i can't -it's a medical condition
you can't fly if you don't take off your shoes
supervisor, please
supervisor agrees with me and corrects screener
pass with no beep and off to secondary
i "assume the position"
told to turn and face the other way (away from my bags)
said no as it is required that my bags remain in my line of sight during secondary
told to "shut up and turn around"
supervisor please
standard secondary but....
in addition to having my shoes swabbed....
i had both the palms and backsides of my hands swabbed
can someone explain that one to me?????
and in line with that, anyone care to venture what chemical is on the swab and why is there nothing offered to wash your hands afterwards....

just thought i'd share.....and i know i shouldn't smoke ;)

PatrickHenry1775 Jan 9, 2005 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
lax, january 8, 2005-it was raining and the smoking patio in t6 was closed so i had to go outside.....

i/d and bp to enter line
up the stairs
asked to show bp at top of the stairs
stuff placed on the belt
required to hand bp THRU wtmd to screener on the other side
had to wait for it as it went thru x-ray inside my jacket (sop whenever i fly with no problems)
TOLD to remove shoes
can't due to orthopedics
"what are they"
support for my ankle to due to surgery
you have to take you shoes off
i can't -it's a medical condition
you can't fly if you don't take off your shoes
supervisor, please
pass with no beep and off to secondary
i "assume the position"
told to turn and face the other way (away from my bags)
said no as it is required that my bags remain in my line of sight during secondary
told to "shut up and turn around"
supervisor please
standard secondary but....
in addition to having my shoes swabbed....
i had both the palms and backsides of my hands swabbed
can someone explain that one to me?????
and in line with that, anyone care to venture what chemical is on the swab and why is there nothing offered to wash your hands afterwards....

just thought i'd share.....and i know i shouldn't smoke ;-)

How dare you question a TSA screener! Surgery - what a likely story!

I personally would rather have another $10.00 tacked onto every ticket and install puffers and scanners than have the TSA circus. If security is the objective, the puffers and scanners would do a better job than the screeners randomly checking people who refuse to participate in the shoe carnival. Then the TSA screeners could paw through cargo currently not examined or screened before being loaded onto passenger planes.

Cholula Jan 9, 2005 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
just thought i'd share.....and i know i shouldn't smoke ;-)

Well told anecdote. Thanks for sharing.....and smoke 'em if you have 'em...;).

wahooflyer Jan 9, 2005 9:25 pm

Last time I flew through LAX T6, about three weeks ago, there was no suggestion to remove shoes. In my experience, LAX has been one of the most shoe-friendly airports around.

Sounds like you must have had a particularly overzealous screener telling you to take your shoes off!

1K_From_SNA Jan 9, 2005 9:59 pm

What's wrong with you?

According to another thread you should have said thank you:

"So that puts TSA Officer at about $14.00 an hour. Seems like they are underpaid so please go out of your way today and say to the TSA Officers you meet today, "Thank you for your service to our country.""

:rolleyes:

Peetah Jan 9, 2005 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by 1K_From_SNA
What's wrong with you?

According to another thread you should have said thank you:

"So that puts TSA Officer at about $14.00 an hour. Seems like they are underpaid so please go out of your way today and say to the TSA Officers you meet today, "Thank you for your service to our country.""

:rolleyes:

$14/hr works out to $29120/yr if he works 2080 hours per year. In LA, I wonder how he's surviving. His take home per month (assuming 33%) is only $1723. With a $1200/month rent, a car that's been paid for years ago, there's no friggin way he's gonna be able to eat. No wonder some of them resort to theivery to supplement their incomes.

HeHateY Jan 10, 2005 2:02 am

Originally Posted by 1K_From_SNA

Ahem. They are not "officers".

HeHateY Jan 10, 2005 2:03 am

Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775
How dare you question a TSA screener! Surgery - what a likely story!

Yes! Think of the Children!