Single Government ID Moves Closer to Reality

Old Dec 30, 04, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Single Government ID Moves Closer to Reality

This currently applies for access to Government buildings, but guess how long it will take before it becomes standard issue for all of us....

By Christopher Lee, Washington Post Staff Writer

Federal officials are developing government-wide identification card standards for federal employees and contractors to prevent terrorists, criminals and other unauthorized people from getting into government buildings and computer systems.

The effort, known as the Personal Identity Verification Project, stems from a homeland security-related presidential directive and is being managed by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), a Commerce Department (news - web sites) agency with offices in Gaithersburg.

read more here
Old Dec 30, 04, 10:13 pm

Is this any different than the DoD Common Access Card?
Old Dec 31, 04, 1:29 am

Programs: Expedia All Your Booking Channels Are Belong To Us Club
Actually it's called FIPS-199 (stands for Federal Information Processing Standard) and the goal is to achieve a common look and feel among all US Goverment-issued employee/contractor/building-access ID cards. Note that FIPS-199 does not apply to drivers' licenses/passports/identity documents issued to the general public, those will be standarized but under other criteria. Although the proposed design is uniformly ugly, there is some security benefit. Since there is presently no standardized design for a US Government employee ID, anybody with a $100 laminating machine and a copy of Photoshop can easily create an official-looking "government issued" ID.
Old Dec 31, 04, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
True, this article references the requirement for government folks accessing government installations - but my theory is the program could set the stage for a push towards uniform ID standards at the State level, followed by the adoption of a single national ID card which will replace drivers licenses, social security cards, immigration cards, etc...containing a smart chip and RFID tag.

If the government wanted to create a national ID card, it would risk tremendous resistance if it was announced point blank - but if it was allowed to creep in slowly, first government employees, then standardizing the states, then perhaps they feel they could get away with it....

who knows...just speculation on my part...but I wanted to make everyone aware of what was going on
Old Dec 31, 04, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVP, HH Diamond, *Wood Plat
There are proposals to mandate specific items on driver licenses, similar to what you'd expect on a national ID, but without the name. I'm still not sure why a driver's license should be a form of ID for anything other than driving, but that's another topic, likely to be OMNI.

This link has some good background:
http://www.epic.org/privacy/id_cards...persplease.pdf

Edited to add link and correct my thoughts

Last edited by LightingGuy; Dec 31, 04 at 11:40 am

Search this Thread