Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

LAX terminal temporarily closed after passenger triggers alarm

Old Dec 30, 04, 12:10 am
robodeer

"LOS ANGELES Authorities say a terminal at Los Angeles International Airport was temporarily shut down today after a passenger bolted from a plane and triggered an alarm."

http://www.kesq.com/Global/story.asp?S=2745869

i may have missed another thread mentioning the article above, possibly lost in the "why are the screeners picking on me"/"abolish the TSA" threads. quick search of topics on the most recent posts turned up negative.

Old Dec 30, 04, 12:26 am

Now that's something I've never understood. What's the hurry? A lot of the time, they hold the connecting flight unless you're flying HP.

If you're getting off of a pond skipper, you can't disembark until the carry ons have been brought near the door. And on a jet, you're gonna clobber the gate agent who just doesn't want to walk fast.

Maybe he had to go to the bathroom? In a baggage cart? What an idiot!
Old Dec 30, 04, 1:01 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Originally Posted by Peetah
Now that's something I've never understood. What's the hurry?
Plane was getting ready to take off, not upon arrival. Sounds like he got the tarmac if he was inside a baggage carrier. Can't read much into that little report, sounds like it could be a simple panic attack. Wonder how long the terminal was shut down for.
Old Dec 30, 04, 1:22 am

Re-read the article again.. you're right.

Maybe he found out they weren't serving Columbian coffee and wanted to get some?
Old Dec 30, 04, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Any stats on how often various airports have had their terminals temporarily shut down and/or evacuated? Seems LAX is in the news more frequently than other airports for that problem.
Old Dec 31, 04, 1:06 am

Hope he was not an Al Quida

I sure hope this was not another planned attack on a US flight.Sounds very suspicious. I hope he gets arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent. God knowes what could have happened if there had been a bomb on the plane. Anyways glad everything turned out OK.
Old Dec 31, 04, 3:51 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Prosecuted for what? Having a panic attack??
Old Dec 31, 04, 11:50 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by danielonn
I sure hope this was not another planned attack on a US flight.Sounds very suspicious. I hope he gets arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent. God knowes what could have happened if there had been a bomb on the plane. Anyways glad everything turned out OK.
Oh he couldn't possibly have had a bomb or any other weapon. He had been through the TSA security checks.
Old Jan 2, 05, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Watching from the news clips, the guy seems to be mentally-ill distraught. Even when they were trying to strap him to the stretcher, it was a physical struggle all the way. This all occured at T3 inside an AS aircraft.

Last edited by Rejuvenated; Jan 2, 05 at 6:06 pm
Old Jan 3, 05, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by robodeer
"LOS ANGELES Authorities say a terminal at Los Angeles International Airport was temporarily shut down today after a passenger bolted from a plane and triggered an alarm."

http://www.kesq.com/Global/story.asp?S=2745869

i may have missed another thread mentioning the article above, possibly lost in the "why are the screeners picking on me"/"abolish the TSA" threads. quick search of topics on the most recent posts turned up negative.
What part did the TSA play in this drama? The passenger must have made it through the "World Class Security" that the TSA promises. I guess that his shoes were TSA-compliant. The link above did not state that the TSA captured him. So what does this story have to do with the incompetent infingement of TSA on the rights of law-abiding Americans?
Old Jan 9, 05, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by exerda
Any stats on how often various airports have had their terminals temporarily shut down and/or evacuated? Seems LAX is in the news more frequently than other airports for that problem.
I could just be people in LA are oxygen deprived due to the smog, or they just have that "It's a small world" song stuck in their heads from their disneyland trip

Actually, while there a few months ago, the airport was almost shutdown becasue a couple left a stack of brown unmarked boxes in the corner of the ticketing area. It took a few annoiuncements on the PA ssytem and the threat of shutting the airport down before the couple got out of line and moved the boxes into line with them. They had a nice talking to by the LEO that the SW agent had already called.
Old Jan 9, 05, 3:01 am

Programs: DL Skymiles - Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
Having just come back from LAX to LHR this week (and also having to take my Mom to LAX the day before for a flight to TPA) I can confirm that LAX is the biggest disaster of all US airports. Forgetting the fact that the terminals are badly designed (at least terminal 5 and 6 and International) because they are too narrow, the TSA there seem to be particularly "riot police-like". Perhaps they are just all in bad moods from having to work in such bad conditions.

The entire experience of checking in for BA for example is frustrating. I checked in at the F desk (thankfully a full 3 hours ahead of time, having seen what the crowds were like when I dropped my Mom off) and then had to lug the suitcases to another part of the terminal, where the TSA had set up a little screened off "booth" to scan the bags. I ended up tipping like a hundred people just to check in (I had 2 others travelling with me and we had a huge amount of luggage after a Christmas cruise!)

We then proceeded to the BA lounge which is total crap....oops, I'm starting to rant and this is a whole new topic, but you get the idea.

Isn't there some way to hold the management of LAX to account for such an organization and isn't the closing of an entire terminal because of one person a bit of an over reaction on their part? Are they perhaps too trigger happy because of the fact that some of the 9/11 flights were bound for LAX or because of he problem they had at the beginning of 2000?
Old Jan 11, 05, 12:06 am

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
Originally Posted by PolandExpat
Having just come back from LAX to LHR this week (and also having to take my Mom to LAX the day before for a flight to TPA) I can confirm that LAX is the biggest disaster of all US airports. Forgetting the fact that the terminals are badly designed (at least terminal 5 and 6 and International) because they are too narrow, the TSA there seem to be particularly "riot police-like". Perhaps they are just all in bad moods from having to work in such bad conditions.

The entire experience of checking in for BA for example is frustrating. I checked in at the F desk (thankfully a full 3 hours ahead of time, having seen what the crowds were like when I dropped my Mom off) and then had to lug the suitcases to another part of the terminal, where the TSA had set up a little screened off "booth" to scan the bags. I ended up tipping like a hundred people just to check in (I had 2 others travelling with me and we had a huge amount of luggage after a Christmas cruise!)

We then proceeded to the BA lounge which is total crap....oops, I'm starting to rant and this is a whole new topic, but you get the idea.

Isn't there some way to hold the management of LAX to account for such an organization and isn't the closing of an entire terminal because of one person a bit of an over reaction on their part? Are they perhaps too trigger happy because of the fact that some of the 9/11 flights were bound for LAX or because of he problem they had at the beginning of 2000?
Hmmm. My experiences with LAX TSA have been pretty positive, though I generally don't fly out of the Bradley Terminal. It's not a "shoe carnival" airport, for instance. If you want "riot police," visit with one of the LAX Police "traffic control officers" (tan/green uniform) who control the terminal ring road. Makes TSA look like big teddy bears.

As for the airport infrastructure itself, LAX renovation/expansion/redesign is sort of an ongoing controversy around here. (I live within 10 minutes' drive of it.) Part of the problem is that folks who live on either side of the airport (and not even within flight paths!) are dead set against any airport expansion. Since the airport is an entity of the City of Los Angeles, all those plans have to go through the city bureaucracy which, like any other government, moves at a snail's pace, if at all. March 2005 is the primary election for both LA city mayor and the LA city council district which includes LAX and surrounding areas. So, all the politicians are pandering to the LAX neighbors with promises of capacity controls, stopping LAX expansion, shifting air traffic to Ontario, CA (halfway to the middle of nowhere) and Palmdale, CA (middle of nowhere), etc.

As far as LAX and terminal shutdowns...they usually seem to be less than terminal dumps (evacuations), just temporarily stopping screening...I can understand when there's a whackjob running loose on the tarmac why the police would want to at least keep more people from entering the terminal until they have the situation stabilized. Given the large # of pax passing through LAX and our relatively high population of nutjobs compared to ORD and ATL, I'd say we do quite well ;-)

Search this Thread