FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Bomb Threat Clears American Flight At O'Hare (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/384245-bomb-threat-clears-american-flight-ohare.html)

Spiff Dec 28, 2004 5:34 pm

Bomb Threat Clears American Flight At O'Hare

NBC 5 Article

"Sixty-five passengers bound for Indianapolis were forced to evacuate their flight late Tuesday morning after one passenger found a note on the plane that contained a possible security threat, though a search of the plane later found no explosives or other problems.

American Airlines Flight 1672 to Indianapolis departed its gate at 11:24 a.m. and was taxiing to a runway at O'Hare International Airport when a passenger found the note in a seat pocket, according to American spokesman Tim Wagner.

Wagner said he could not release the contents of the note, but said members of the flight crew believed the note contained a possible security threat and notified authorities."

I guess some people can't pass up the opportunity to be stupid.

If I find such a note, it's going right into the trash. :td:

Dresden Dec 28, 2004 5:57 pm

But if it saves only one life . . .

Originally Posted by Spiff
NBC 5 Article

"Sixty-five passengers bound for Indianapolis were forced to evacuate their flight late Tuesday morning after one passenger found a note on the plane that contained a possible security threat, though a search of the plane later found no explosives or other problems.:td:

What is wrong with screening the pax and the luggage in place, then sending everyone on their way . . . on the same airplane. Good grief! I'm with Spiff. That note will never see the light of day.

bdschobel Dec 28, 2004 8:24 pm

I just can't understand how people think about these things. If I had gone to all the trouble of planting a bomb on a plane -- a very difficult task, I assume! -- why in the world would I write a note telling people that it was there? Wouldn't I want the plane to take off with my bomb on board? And if someone else wrote the note, why wouldn't they just tell people in person about the bomb? Why communicate so strangely?

The right answer is really just to ignore these nonsensical notes. Too bad nobody will do that. :(

Bruce

Xyzzy Dec 28, 2004 8:32 pm

One of the reasons they almost never seem to release the text of the notes is because of the gigantic leap of faith required to read a threat into what is written on them. I recall one of them last year said simply, "Bob" -- a common name. Of course, that was interpreted to mean "Bomb on board."

Bruce is (as usual) correct!

Cholula Dec 28, 2004 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy
One of the reasons they almost never seem to release the text of the notes is because of the gigantic leap of faith required to read a threat into what is written on them. I recall one of them last year said simply, "Bob" -- a common name. Of course, that was interpreted to mean "Bomb on board."

Bruce is (as usual) correct!

I remember that same incident. Enormous amount of inconvenience for hundreds of people. The reason?? A "barf bag" from the seat back pocket with the letters "BOB" written on it.
And as xyzzy says, some knucklehead decides it MUST mean BOMB ON BOARD...:(.

Doppy Dec 28, 2004 10:15 pm

This reminds me of the note with "Arabic style handwriting" from a few months ago.

Someone should start collecting the stories for a "greatest hits" collection.

exerda Dec 29, 2004 8:52 am

Sometimes I wonder when I sign the "Voices" page of UA's inflight mag if the non-FT pax in the seats next to me are wondering what I'm writing and will report it to the FAs as a possible bomb threat... never had a problem yet, at least.

danielonn Dec 31, 2004 12:21 am

im with spiff too

You go Spiff!! You could not have said it better. I would throw the note away and not worry since the security is good. Happy New Year one and all :) :) :) :) :) :-: :-: :-: ^

Spiff Dec 31, 2004 2:47 am

The "security" is a joke.

The note's still going into the trash though.

Admiral Stone can go to hell.

jaylenofan86 Dec 31, 2004 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
The "security" is a joke.

The note's still going into the trash though.

Admiral Stone can go to hell.

Tell us how you REALLY feel! :p