Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Surveillance camera catches TSA employee rifling luggage

Old Dec 17, 04, 8:05 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

KVOA TV4 NBC Article

"The travel season is here, but, do you feel safe sending your luggage through the airport?

The surveillance video is disturbing. A TSA worker at JFK airport in New York, allegedly rifling through a bag planted by police, removing jewels and money.

This suspect was charged with larceny and possession of stolen property."

"You don't professionalize until you federalize." Professional... what? This and many other reasons underscore the need to prevent the TSA from opening passengers' baggage at any time without their presence or explicit consent.
Old Dec 17, 04, 8:39 am

Baggage handlers and private security lackeys have always had access to passenger's bags pre-end of civil rights. But passengers could send baggage through locked.

There is a difference when the theft occurs by a uniformed federal civil servant and it is federal law/policy/whatever that compels passengers to send baggage through unlocked.
Old Dec 17, 04, 8:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Spiff
KVOA TV4 NBC Article

"The travel season is here, but, do you feel safe sending your luggage through the airport?

The surveillance video is disturbing. A TSA worker at JFK airport in New York, allegedly rifling through a bag planted by police, removing jewels and money.

This suspect was charged with larceny and possession of stolen property."

"You don't professionalize until you federalize." Professional... what? This and many other reasons underscore the need to prevent the TSA from opening passengers' baggage at any time without their presence or explicit consent.
Probably the same guy who stole my son's dvd and 12 video games.
Old Dec 17, 04, 8:48 am

My bag may not be locked but it's securely sealed and tamper-evident. I used a coloured plastic cable tie instead of a padlock. It must be cut to open the bag. I have a pair of paramedic shears in the outer pocket of the bag so that I can open my bag at the destination.
Old Dec 17, 04, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tonypct
Probably the same guy who stole my son's dvd and 12 video games.
Nah, there's probably more than one thief wearing a TSA patch.
Old Dec 17, 04, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SarahWest
My bag may not be locked but it's securely sealed and tamper-evident. I used a coloured plastic cable tie instead of a padlock. It must be cut to open the bag. I have a pair of paramedic shears in the outer pocket of the bag so that I can open my bag at the destination.
If the TSA decides to loot your bag, evidence of tampering will include a card from the TSA, but you'll still face an uphill battle recovering your stuff.

The TSA should be forbidden to open any bag without the owner's presence or explicit consent.
Old Dec 17, 04, 9:11 am

If the TSA decides to loot your bag, evidence of tampering will include a card from the TSA, but you'll still face an uphill battle recovering your stuff.

The TSA should be forbidden to open any bag without the owner's presence or explicit consent.
Let's put it this way - every time I have found the cable tie removed, my bag has indeed had the TSA card. If I'd found the cable tie reomved and found no TSA card, I'd certainly want to know why. The cable tie does provide a greater degree of security than having nothing securing the zip closed.
Old Dec 17, 04, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
I use special colored cable ties too -- but the TSA no longer reseals bags that they rifle through. So, if my cable tie is cut by them the bag proceeds UNLOCKED through the rest of the system. I take GREAT offense at this.

The other day at EWR I saw them going through our bag (despite their policy of not letting people watch the search). When they were done I asked them to reseal the bag with another cable tie. They did, but were VERY surprised that we'd managed to watch the procedure.
Old Dec 17, 04, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by xyzzy
The other day at EWR I saw them going through our bag (despite their policy of not letting people watch the search).
What policy? Where searches are not done in a secure area I've always been allowed to watch searches if they occurred.
Old Dec 17, 04, 9:06 pm

Hey Spiff, I know you have a strong anti-TSA bias, but what you might have missed is that the story you mention in your post was first aired back in September. This is (relatively speaking) old news just being recycled to capitalize on the controversy. Just FYI.
Old Dec 17, 04, 9:13 pm

And perhaps the bags could be kept off the flight and stored in a "bomb-proof" container until the owner is contacted. Leaving one's bag nehind in the name of security (and personal liberty) is worth it, isn't it?
Old Dec 17, 04, 11:16 pm

Programs: Expedia All Your Booking Channels Are Belong To Us Club
Originally Posted by xyzzy
I use special colored cable ties too -- but the TSA no longer reseals bags that they rifle through.
Hell, you are lucky. My bags they don't even close.
Old Dec 17, 04, 11:45 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I like the news anchor's last line:

"Only 66 TSA workers out of 60,000 have been arrested so far."

aloha
Old Dec 18, 04, 10:32 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA, WN, Marriott, SPG, HH, Hertz
If the TSA decides to loot your bag, evidence of tampering will include a card from the TSA...
Nah. I've gotten my bag back with clear evidence of having been opened, and not a TSA card to be found. Once I was even using the "TSA Friendly" locks, and they just twisted the lock off and broke the little lock loop "thingy" on the zipper pull so that it can't be locked anymore. I've never had anything go AWOL though. It's always just been an annoyance because I know my stuff has been rifled, but their sacred "SOP" has not been followed.

I've also gotten baggage back several times not closed properly, such as only one latch being closed (of 2) and stuff like that.

I've never complained to them because I know the excuse would be "the airline baggage handlers have access to your baggage too, so you can't prove it was us"
Old Dec 18, 04, 8:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
My word of advice would be to always always always immediately notify the local law enforcement agency with jurisdiction at the originating airport. If the airport is halfway on the ball, they can at least take a gander at any surveillance tapes -- those should be under local, not TSA, control.

Search this Thread