Wiki Posts
Search

Carrying "too many" AA batteries?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:22 am
H2O
Original Poster

Smile Carrying "too many" AA batteries?

Hi Guys, I'm travelling from LAX to BOM tomorrow and was wondering whether there are any restrictions on carrying AA batteries. I took out the batteries from the toys that are in the luggage so they don't make noise (and scare the baggage handlers). Is it ok to carry approximately 10 AA batteries in the carry-on (4 for digcam, 6 for toys) or am I not allowed to carry batteries by themselves?

I'd also like to double check about having a disposable razor with me. I believe it is allowed, right?

Thanks a lot ^
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've carried as many as two dozen AAs and several AAAs since September 11 and never had a problem anywhere. BOM is a different story. B747-437B has reported that "excessive" batteries are a problem in India. But at LAX checkpoints, you'll have no trouble. Which airline are you flying? Air India might object.

Disposable razors are ok.

Have a great trip.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 1:26 am
H2O
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I've carried as many as two dozen AAs and several AAAs since September 11 and never had a problem anywhere. BOM is a different story. B747-437B has reported that "excessive" batteries are a problem in India. But at LAX checkpoints, you'll have no trouble. Which airline are you flying? Air India might object.

Disposable razors are ok.

Have a great trip.
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I am flying Air India. My final destination is AMD (Ahmedabad), which is where I'll go through the customs... hopefully they will be ok with it. Do you know whether "excessive" batteries are a problem for arriving pax also?

I was mainly concerned about going through LAX security with the batteries. If that's alright with them, I'm going to take a chance... we'll see what happens.

Thanks again for the answers
Old Dec 8, 2004, 1:32 am

Programs: CO Gold; Hilton Gold; PC/Ambassador Gold
I know someone who carries tons of AA batteries thru LAX. He never reported any problems. Men & women carry disposable razors (the plastic kind) at LAX with no incident. Have a good, safe trip!
Old Dec 8, 2004, 7:38 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
Once a security person aked me why had so many and I told him why. He said it was better ot have as many of them in the items instead of carrying them separately. Don't know if it is so, but I said OK and went on my merry way.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 8:24 am

Programs: TSA
Hey

If I would have known how many batteries are out there, I would have bought stock in Eveready! We see thousands of them everyday. Just try to spread them out a little. They can be hard to see through and it might trigger a bag search.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 8:31 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by eyecue
If I would have known how many batteries are out there, I would have bought stock in Eveready! We see thousands of them everyday. Just try to spread them out a little. They can be hard to see through and it might trigger a bag search.
Excellent advice.

My spare laptop battery goes into my carryon when overseas (no laptops out, usually) to make it easier to see everything else in there.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Interesting. At the EasyJet check-in at Rome Ciampino airport, signs advise you to remove batteries from your checked baggage (though in the the carry-on, they are evidently OK).
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:04 am
H2O
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eyecue
Spread them out even in the carry-on you mean? If they're letting the batteries go past security (which is what I was concerned about), why not just make it easy for them to see them in case they're confused about it? If it looks anything suspicious, they can just open the zipper and see the bunch of AA's lying there. I thought it'd be easier for both me and the screeners.

Thanks all for the replies
Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:47 am

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
I don't know if it's still the case or a Canada-wide rule, but last Christmas, departing YYC, they were making everyone turn on carry-on electronics. I presume to ensure they were not fakes masquerading as as something more sinister.

It would be a pain in the butt to stand there putting all your batteries back in!
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by H2O
Hi Guys, I'm travelling from LAX to BOM tomorrow and was wondering whether there are any restrictions on carrying AA batteries. I took out the batteries from the toys that are in the luggage so they don't make noise (and scare the baggage handlers). Is it ok to carry approximately 10 AA batteries in the carry-on (4 for digcam, 6 for toys) or am I not allowed to carry batteries by themselves?

I'd also like to double check about having a disposable razor with me. I believe it is allowed, right?

Thanks a lot ^
I don't know about other airlines, but AIR INDIA will no allow batteries outside of the gadget(s) they are for in your carry on.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 5:41 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Originally Posted by Yaatri
I don't know about other airlines, but AIR INDIA will no allow batteries outside of the gadget(s) they are for in your carry on.
Interesting! I was not aware of this.

Whenever I go through security at any US airport, I always take out my DVD battery and/or extra laptop battery and put them in a bin so the TSA can visualize them if they so desire. I started doing this weekly after having my bag searched once a long time ago. The DVD battery looks black as it goes through xray. Anything to make the screening faster for me......!!!!!
Old Dec 8, 2004, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
B747-437B has reported that "excessive" batteries are a problem in India.
FYI everyone, he has also reported that you can travel with adult "toys."
Old Dec 9, 2004, 7:57 am

Programs: Amex Platinum; Starwood Gold; BA Blue; VS Red; DL; US; CO; NW
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Flying out of Cozumel in 2002 they would not allow loose batteries, or aerosol deodorant for that matter, in carry-on, regardless of the airline. Went there again this past May and had no problem with batteries (and brought stick deodorant so I don't know about the other). Made me wonder if it was just someone being arbitrary.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I gotsta carry extra batteries for my Bose headseats!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.