Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)

Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)

Old Dec 5, 2004, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Smile Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)

(Things to think about when you, Citizen, go through the shoe carnival!)

Control of Antibiotic Resistant Organisms in Home Settings, Specifically Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)

Staphylococcus aureus is a common type of bacteria (germ) that is often found in the nose, but can also grow in wounds and other sites of the body. Methicillin is an antibiotic (drug) that is used to treat these infections. Over time, the bacteria have become resistant to methicillin so that the drug is no longer able to kill the germ. If a person has an infection with this germ that cannot be treated with methicillin, the person is said to have MRSA and finding proper treatment is a challenge.

How are these germs spread from one person to another?

MRSA is transmitted primarily by contact with a person who has an infection or is colonized with the bacteria. The germ can be spread by direct contact with the person or by the hands of someone caring for the person touching others before washing hands. MRSA can survive for an hour or more on environmental surfaces such as floors, sinks, blood pressure cuffs, etc...

http://www.vdh.state.va.us/epi/mrsavref.htm
Old Dec 5, 2004, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Lysol

OK, so we all bring our cans of Lysol and spray the floor when required to take off our shoes.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Originally Posted by red456
OK, so we all bring our cans of Lysol and spray the floor when required to take off our shoes.

Good idea! I wonder what the TSA will say to that!

But wait there's more!

Recent reports have documented an outbreak of ten cases among a football team in Connecticut where body shaving and turf burns from practicing on an artificial surface have contributed to the spread of MRSA.

Minor abrasions to the skin make it more vulnerable to infection and the bugs can survive on the carpet for an extended period of time.

http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/g...E.php?AID=6682
Old Dec 5, 2004, 10:37 pm

Programs: TSA
hmmm

Lysol got removed from our cp due to invoking asthma attacks.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 5:35 am

Although anything is possible,
You're not going to get MRSA from walking barefoot in the airport. (I say this as an epidemiologist, so that's my professional opinion.)

Tetanus perhaps, but MRSA is pretty unlikely.

But--uh oh--what if the "bad guys" got a hold of MRSA from the athletes and start using it as a bioweapon? We'd better install decon showers at all of the airports. Is it "going too far" to take a skin biopsy from selected passegers? Or should we just stick to a blood count?
Old Dec 6, 2004, 6:34 am

Programs: AAEXP/Marriott Life Platinum
Originally Posted by Mats
Although anything is possible,
You're not going to get MRSA from walking barefoot in the airport. (I say this as an epidemiologist, so that's my professional opinion.)

Tetanus perhaps, but MRSA is pretty unlikely.
If a swab was taken off of the no shoe path, I can't even think about the hundreds of types of bacteria that would be found.

How about swabing the tubs? The ones dirty shoes are put in, and then you put your clean cloths in, or your change, and then with your fingers pick it up later?

UGH
Old Dec 6, 2004, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, yeah, I'd love to see what happens when someone pulls out an aerosol can and starts spraying all over the place

Originally Posted by Mats
Or should we just stick to a blood count?
You know, as long as we're doing that, how about some mission creep and we'll just start creating a database of everyone's DNA, too!
Old Dec 6, 2004, 2:44 pm

DNA swabs. Of course! What was I thinking. That's so much easier and so much more secure.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by HeHateY
(Things to think about when you, Citizen, go through the shoe carnival!)

The odds of coming into contact with MRSA at the checkpoint are exceedingly slim to none. Sheesh!

I'd worry more about foot fungus and plantar warts.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 12:33 pm

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
Yes, taking off your shoes for screening is dangerous from a health point of view. Bacteria, virus, fungus, etc. is all around you. in addition to being on carpet and TSA screening bins, its on handrails, doorknobs, traytables, seats in departure gates and on airplanes (how dirty do you think headrests are?), on money (it is really filthy), restroom doors, and on anything else you touch in public places. I read that the remote control in your hotel room is especially germ laden, but germs are hiding wherever you touch. Travel is very dangerous from a germ point of view. It would be far safer for you to stay at home. Should you decide to take my advice, please reward me for the warning by giving me all hotel points, miles, upgrades, etc. which you will no longer need. And you can send along any filthy change or cash to which you don't want to be exposed. Please PM me at your earliest convenience. I intend to continue traveling and spending despite the danger.

Last edited by last2board; Dec 7, 2004 at 12:35 pm Reason: grammar mistake

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.