Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Appleton WI airport evacuated due to salesman's suitcase

Appleton WI airport evacuated due to salesman's suitcase

Old Nov 21, 04, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by bdschobel
How do you know that? TSA has not yet found a real bomb!

Bruce
To your knowledge.
Old Nov 21, 04, 11:57 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
I think we all realise that once a potential bomb has been identified, it's in the hands of the local bomb squad. (How something is identified as a potential bomb is of course SSI, so we won't go there).

OK, so two scenarios:
1. It's not a bomb.
2. It is a bomb and may detonate if opened/tampered with.

Remove the article and it's owner to a safe place. Search the owner for a detonator then get him to open the article at a safe distance. Examine the article and if it is a bomb then and only then disrupt it.

Now which do you think takes more time - leaving the 'bomb' in situ and evacuating the terminal or removing the 'bomb' from the checkpoint immediately ? And now ask which course poses the more risk to other people.
Old Nov 21, 04, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
But when that time came, the airline wouldn’t let Walker fly. He said they told him other passengers knew he was the reason for the delay, and they didn’t want him on the flight where people were upset with him.

The TSA was the reason for the delay, and the airline still blackballed him? I'm afraid that I would have been arrested at the gate after that happened....
Old Nov 21, 04, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
The TSA was the reason for the delay, and the airline still blackballed him? I'm afraid that I would have been arrested at the gate after that happened....
I'm sure I would have been arrested after a few kind works of gratitude towards the TSA, Bomb Squad, Airport Police and of course the Airline for their not letting me board the flight that I had a ticket for.
Old Nov 21, 04, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by TSAMGR
To your knowledge.
That's right. They did find a real grenade (war trophy) once in the baggage of a contract soldier returning from Afghanistan.

Search this Thread