Convince me airport security is not a sham

Old Nov 15, 04, 6:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Convince me airport security is not a sham

Was not sure I should have posted this at first, but I decided what the hell.

On AM 11/13 I returned to TPA from LAS via DFW on the red-eye from a semi-MR ( I got in quite a bit of gambling, so the trip was quite profitable )

1) Went to the long term section of the parking garage to pick up my car at which time I noticed that by right rear tire was low, a check found the pressure to be 16 psi.
Not wanting to have the change the tire there, I jumped in the car with hope that I could make to nearest service station and have then do it.
Got there OK they replaced the tire with the spare and on the low tire a leaking valve stem was renewed.

2) Drove home, upon arriving there I discovered that my roll-aboard, containing, a cell phone, change of clothes and most importantly my laptop etc was missing . Called the service station because I thought they might have taken out to remove the spare and not put in back in the trunk.
No sign of the bag there.

3) Call the TPA airport police and told them that I think I have left my roll-aboard in the parking garage Level 3, section 304.
Their response: It has not been turned in, call back later I am told.

4) Back to the airport, as I drive I notice barriers are across the entrance to Level 3 ( and visions in my mind of the bomb squad sending a robot to at that very moment to blow-up my bag )
Pulled in to level 2, I spot a Republic parking supervisor ( they manage airport parking ) and ask him if he has heard anything about a bag on Level 3-nope he says but I should pick up the yellow phone and call his main security office.
Did that and they had no reports about any bag being found.

5) I go up the stairs to space which I had parked AND SURE ENOUGH THERE IS MY BAG ...TWO AND A HALF HOURS AFTER I HAD DRIVEN OFF AND LEFT IT THERE.

Everybody feel safe now?

Donít get me wrong, I cannot express my extreme joy at finding it.

But even after calling the police, giving a specific location, nobody cared to take a look.
What happens if I had a bomb in my bag?

mike
Old Nov 15, 04, 9:15 pm

Location: Currently a man without a country; American Airlines-3MM, Executive Platinum; US Airways-Doesn't Matter AAnymore; Hilton-Diamond; Starwood-Platinum; Hyatt-Diamond
Regarding the title of this thread...

Can't because it is.

Or to quote a former POTUS..."it depends on what your definition of 'is' is."
Old Nov 15, 04, 10:02 pm

To the OP: glad you got your bag back. Maybe any would-be thiefs thought your bag was a bomb so they left it alone .

Regarding the title of this post: Airport security is definatelynot a sham. Would the 50 thousand or so TSA workers, plus tens of thouseands of other airport security personnel ALL be participating in something that was simply window dressing and a sham? They can't ALL be a sham, can they?
Old Nov 15, 04, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AArlington
To the OP: glad you got your bag back. Maybe any would-be thiefs thought your bag was a bomb so they left it alone .

Regarding the title of this post: Airport security is definatelynot a sham. Would the 50 thousand or so TSA workers, plus tens of thouseands of other airport security personnel ALL be participating in something that was simply window dressing and a sham? They can't ALL be a sham, can they?
As the old saying goes, millions of flies can't be wrong.
Old Nov 16, 04, 1:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I will be happy to prove to you that airport security is not a sham.

First, however, prove to me that Michelle Pfeiffer is actually Gov. Arnold in drag.
Old Nov 16, 04, 4:15 am

Programs: CO Gold; Hilton Gold; PC/Ambassador Gold
Originally Posted by Dovster
....First, however, prove to me that Michelle Pfeiffer is actually Gov. Arnold in drag.
A girlie man?
Old Nov 16, 04, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
It's not a sham, but an incredible simulation!
Old Nov 16, 04, 9:14 am

Programs: TSA
hmmmm

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Was not sure I should have posted this at first, but I decided what the hell.

On AM 11/13 I returned to TPA from LAS via DFW on the red-eye from a semi-MR ( I got in quite a bit of gambling, so the trip was quite profitable )

1) Went to the long term section of the parking garage to pick up my car at which time I noticed that by right rear tire was low, a check found the pressure to be 16 psi.
Not wanting to have the change the tire there, I jumped in the car with hope that I could make to nearest service station and have then do it.
Got there OK they replaced the tire with the spare and on the low tire a leaking valve stem was renewed.

2) Drove home, upon arriving there I discovered that my roll-aboard, containing, a cell phone, change of clothes and most importantly my laptop etc was missing . Called the service station because I thought they might have taken out to remove the spare and not put in back in the trunk.
No sign of the bag there.

3) Call the TPA airport police and told them that I think I have left my roll-aboard in the parking garage Level 3, section 304.
Their response: It has not been turned in, call back later I am told.

4) Back to the airport, as I drive I notice barriers are across the entrance to Level 3 ( and visions in my mind of the bomb squad sending a robot to at that very moment to blow-up my bag )
Pulled in to level 2, I spot a Republic parking supervisor ( they manage airport parking ) and ask him if he has heard anything about a bag on Level 3-nope he says but I should pick up the yellow phone and call his main security office.
Did that and they had no reports about any bag being found.

5) I go up the stairs to space which I had parked AND SURE ENOUGH THERE IS MY BAG ...TWO AND A HALF HOURS AFTER I HAD DRIVEN OFF AND LEFT IT THERE.

Everybody feel safe now?

Donít get me wrong, I cannot express my extreme joy at finding it.

But even after calling the police, giving a specific location, nobody cared to take a look.

mike
This whole post strikes me as trying to offset your mistake. In all likelyhood if the bag would have been missing forever this post would not have showed up. So who are you trying to point the finger at? Private security, the ones that patrol lot? The police that are at the airport? The people that probably saw it and didnt heed the message to report all unattended baggage? You are very fortunate that it was still there. I have had my car broken into in a secure lot for employees only! Six foot chain link fence, security cameras, badge access only. They stole the in-dash stereo! So why turn an even such as yours into a security bashing party?
Old Nov 16, 04, 10:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eyecue
This whole post strikes me as trying to offset your mistake. In all likelyhood if the bag would have been missing forever this post would not have showed up. So who are you trying to point the finger at? Private security, the ones that patrol lot? The police that are at the airport? The people that probably saw it and didnt heed the message to report all unattended baggage? You are very fortunate that it was still there. I have had my car broken into in a secure lot for employees only! Six foot chain link fence, security cameras, badge access only. They stole the in-dash stereo! So why turn an even such as yours into a security bashing party?
Thanks for re-affirming my initial misgivings about posting this here in the first place.

Perhaps if you took your head out of that dark place where the sun dont shine you might have noticed that I did not blame anyone ( since it was obvious where the blame lay) in regard me having left my bag.
I did express my joy at finding it intact.

Its sad that some in our society think one should be grateful when your possesion ( no matter where they are left) are not stolen.

My question was a simple rhetorical one, which you seem incapable of reponding to.
That OK, I think I fully understand ( by reading this and other posts) your limitations.

Pardon me for putting it in most polite terms I can muster, I would however greatly appreciate your withdrawal from this discussion.
mike

Old Nov 16, 04, 11:26 am

Programs: TSA
Ah!

Thanks for re-affirming my initial misgivings about posting this here in the first place.
you are quite welcome!

Perhaps if you took your head out of that dark place where the sun dont shine you might have noticed that I did not blame anyone ( since it was obvious where the blame lay) in regard me having left my bag.
I did express my joy at finding it intact.
"Convince me that security isnt a sham." Appears to me that you are pointing a finger and blame at security for something!
Its sad that some in our society think one should be grateful when your possesion ( no matter where they are left) are not stolen.
Human nature. Crime is often an event of oppurtunity. You provided an opportunity and should be glad that no one took up your offering.

My question was a simple rhetorical one, which you seem incapable of reponding to.
Oxymoron rhetorical questions arent meant to be responded to and yet you chastise me for it?
That OK, I think I fully understand ( by reading this and other posts) your limitations.

Pardon me for putting it in most polite terms I can muster, I would however greatly appreciate your withdrawal from this discussion.
mike

Istn the first ammendment wonderful?
Old Nov 18, 04, 7:05 am

Hey Mike

mike
The bag would blow up?? Does this suprise you that the HCAA cannot cover all areas? We cannot even get them to slow the speeding tugs in the baggage areas. Write a letter to Pam Iorio rather than complain here,
Old Nov 18, 04, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Total Rewards PLT, Starbucks GLD
Originally Posted by tsadude
The bag would blow up?? Does this suprise you that the HCAA cannot cover all areas? We cannot even get them to slow the speeding tugs in the baggage areas. Write a letter to Pam Iorio rather than complain here,
Don't complain on FT? Every board would be dead. (Hear the crickets?)
Old Nov 18, 04, 12:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Hold the phone!

Okay folks, let's take a deep breath here and time out for a moment.

I'm not going to let this particular thread spiral down to the usual fingerpointing, ad hominem lovefest that so often happens here.

Please cease the above-mentioned-type posts and repond in a civil, reasoned manner.

That is all.

----------
essxjay
FT TS/S moderator
Old Nov 18, 04, 12:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Back to our regularly scheduled topic

Okay, so now that I've donned my FT civilian hat again here's my $.02.

I think the OP's intent was to point out that upon alerting the appropriate people about an unattended bag he was left with the impression, "It's not my problem, call so-and-so," leaving him to wonder if this an appropriate response given all the handwringing warnings many of us are subjected to inside and outside airport terminals every few mintues.

I think the OP has a legitimate concern, even if it wasn't couched in, "Gee golly, I may be a teensy bit off here, but ..." terminology. His subtext of irritation and confoundness about this incident, IMO, is legit.

Search this Thread