Wiki Posts
Search

Yet another laptop blowed up by the TSA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yet another laptop blowed up by the TSA

29 year old, tired and hungry has his laptop blown up because TSA thought it contained a blasting cap. After destruction of laptop, no blasting cap. No bomb. No real explanation. At least he wasn't charged with any crime (despite being held overnight for questioning).

A man attempting to board a US Airways flight at Craven Regional Airport had his computer confiscated and blown up Saturday by federal authorities believing it contained an explosive device.

<snip>

Several people questioned about the incident were instructed not to talk about the matter.

<snip>

The laptop was X-rayed and the initial findings suggested that a blasting cap was embedded in the laptop floppy disk drive.

<snip>

No blasting cap was discovered in the residue, sources close to the investigation said.

Larry Scantlin, airport director, said Monday that he knew little about the incident.

"I know a bomb was not involved," he said.
http://www.newbernsj.com/SiteProcess...&Section=Local

I feel so much safer.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:17 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
If it was my laptop, there would have been at least $100,000 worth of research data on the HD and no backup available.

Check, please.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We done blowed up that 'puter. We done blowed it up real good.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:27 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
Counting down the time it will take the TSA apologists here to blame this idiocy on Law Enforcement:

10, 9, 8, 7, .......
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
I would say that this was unbelievable, but then the TSA were involved, so I know better than that.

I wonder how often this will happen again, again, again,....?
Old Nov 2, 2004, 4:07 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Not to be an apologist, but it probably wasn't the TSA that blew the thing up. TSA probably referred to LEO/FBI when then overreacted and destroyed the man's property.

Any of the TSA folks know what they mean by "11 hits?" Is that ETD speak or something?

That said, this guy deserves a heck of a lot of cash compensation and an apology from all agencies/individuals involved.

Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer

Tim Flynn, an FBI spokesman, said the 29-year-old Charlotte man was detained overnight for questioning, but was not charged with any crime.
Innocent man detained overnight and not charged?

Flynn said the investigation is under investigation.
It had better be under investigation. Somebody needs to be charged with a crime here, and my guess is it's not the 29-year-old Charlotte man.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 7:02 pm

Let's conveniently leave out a line in the article.

After screeners noted the 11 positive hits, the FBI and Cherry Point's Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit were notified.
The screeners ran 11 Explosive Trace Detection swipes with positive results. FBI and Cherry Point EOD was notified. From then on the matter is under the control of the LEOs. Procedure is to have the Bomb Squad X-Ray the item using their equipment and they make the determination on how to proceed. There had to be a reason why they felt they needed to use a disrupter on the item.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL GM, CRC, HHS
Disrupter

A DISRUPTER!! There is a difference between disrupting and DESTROYING, obviously a nuance the government is not aware of.

Originally Posted by TSAMGR

The screeners ran 11 Explosive Trace Detection swipes with positive results. FBI and Cherry Point EOD was notified. From then on the matter is under the control of the LEOs. Procedure is to have the Bomb Squad X-Ray the item using their equipment and they make the determination on how to proceed. There had to be a reason why they felt they needed to use a disrupter on the item.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Innocent man detained overnight and not charged?
[/QUOTE]

Oh, come now, surely you are familiar with the Patriot Act. Or perhaps you are not aware that even today well over 1,000 men of middle eastern extraction have disappeared in your country never to be heard of again by their families following a knock at the door at 4am. Where are they? You guessed it mate, detained but not charged. Perhaps you are also not aware that the FBI has burst in on hundreds of homes and detained the men, women and children in maximum security prisons in isolation from one another (this even happened to a five year old girl) while their homes were being searched. I could go on but most people won't care until the next terrorist attack is committed by a "Jones" or a "Carlucci" or a "O'Neil" or a "MacDonald", then watch people get all pissed off about how they are being targetted because of their heritage and how unfair the Patriot Act is.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by prof1950
A DISRUPTER!! There is a difference between disrupting and DESTROYING, obviously a nuance the government is not aware of.
Read
http://www.roboprobe.com/DOWNLOADS/D...LDISRUPTER.PDF

http://www.hdemfg.com/product4.htm
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
So you agree. Cool.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 9:33 pm

Ahh crap. What a bunch of idiots. I wonder if procedure would have let the man walk out to an isolated area and remove his hard drive before those @$$ clowns blew it up.

Any chance those jokers new anything about computers? Perhaps their machines have no valuable data on them, but some people's do.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 8:28 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
Originally Posted by TSAMGR

I am feeling safer by the minute. How do we know the swabs were not contaminated by another source or placed there by those who need to have x amount of positives to justify their existence?
Old Nov 3, 2004, 9:24 am

Programs: TSA
Great

Originally Posted by USCGamecock
I am feeling safer by the minute. How do we know the swabs were not contaminated by another source or placed there by those who need to have x amount of positives to justify their existence?
Another "Government conspiracist." It just doesnt happen. But hey! Ignorance is bliss.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Scantlin referred questions the Transportation Safety Administration, which in turn referred questions to Scantlin.
How's that for government accountability?

Scantlin said it was possible that the man had been handling some sort of ammunition and the smell remained on the man and his laptop.

"We have had to detain hunters traveling out west this time of year who might have an ammunition smell on them," Scantlin said.

"We urge all people who might have handled explosive devices before boarding to wash their hands and be sure their clothes and shoes are clear of any explosive matter," Scantlin said.
This is exactly what is going to happen to all of the people who get false positives when the TSA starts using those puffer machines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.