Wiki Posts
Search

Locked vs. Unlocked

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2003, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P
Locked vs. Unlocked

I am curious to hear the experiences people have had for the last three months with this, particularly with int'l trips and particularily ex-SFO. Any differences between soft and hardsided luggage? Can the TSA really use master keys to unlock, then relock, hardsided/combination locks so that one doesn't have to keep the bags unlocked through various foreign ports? Thanks for any reports.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 6:23 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 1K wannabe:
Can the TSA really use master keys to unlock... </font>
I dunno about the TSA, but I saw a Customs guy with a boatload of keys on a big set of rings going through some suitcases at JFK last October...

I think the "official" TSA word is don't lock it, please. Their master key may be about 3 feet long with two handles...

Old Apr 6, 2003, 9:30 pm

Brought luggage on 1 domestic and 1 international flight in March - used twist ties both times - no problems. On the other hand, I did not pack anything irreplaceable (crammed that stuff into the carry-on!) and I did bring the lock with me in order to use at the hotel. Hope there will be a better solution forthcoming - inventors, please take note!

PS: Brief anecdote - told by an airline employee at JFK - a person with VERY EXPENSIVE locked luggage had bag(s) selected for hand inspection. Rather than bust in, they paged the passenger (who did not respond). Passenger did not show up until the boarding call, had to go back to security to open the bag(s), missed the flight, and had to be rerouted (at the airline's expense).
Old Apr 8, 2003, 6:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pdhenry:
Originally posted by 1K wannabe:
Can the TSA really use master keys to unlock... </font>
I dunno about the TSA, but I saw a Customs guy with a boatload of keys on a big set of rings going through some suitcases at JFK last October...

I think the "official" TSA word is don't lock it, please. Their master key may be about 3 feet long with two handles...

We have them in 1 and 2 foot lengths also. Provisions will have to be made for certain passengers. This will have to be worked out with the airlines. There ARE some bags that have to be locked after inspection.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

tsadude,

Could you please respond in a spirit of harmony and information as it the intent on this board? It is recognized that you have equipment to burst open luggage. Good for you. My question was about master locks which would be great for all because the public could then lock for security purposes. You would have access but others who might have malicious intents would not.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 6:12 am

1K, why do you assume that others wouldn't have master keys in their possession? I'd be less willing to use such a lock. At least bolt cutters require some overt activity that's likely to be caught by a security camera in the baggage handling area.

Edited to add: As I understand the principle of master keys, if the lock isn't specifically designed to work with a master key different from the user key, it won't.

[This message has been edited by pdhenry (edited 04-09-2003).]
Old Apr 9, 2003, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Well on my MAN-AMS-DTW-LAX flight my luggage survived locked, even though it got lost between DTW and LAX. But am waiting to see if it survived LAX-MEM-AMS-MAN as it got lost again (naughty luggage!), and even if it comes back unlocked, that could be because UK customs got at it.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 3:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 1K wannabe:
tsadude,

Could you please respond in a spirit of harmony and information as it the intent on this board? It is recognized that you have equipment to burst open luggage. Good for you. My question was about master locks which would be great for all because the public could then lock for security purposes. You would have access but others who might have malicious intents would not.
</font>
We have processed many weapons and much equipment from CENTCOM troops over the past weeks with no problems of theft.Why would anyone want to rummage through your stuff? Do you really think that the airlines has that many thieves? Better guess again, they barely have enough to load your luggage on time.

Old Apr 9, 2003, 3:57 pm

[quote]<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pdhenry:
</font>
Yep, thats the one.
Our CTX machines are in the lobby. Every effort is made to keep the passenger with the bag so that they can unlock it if needed. We don't use the "master key" often.

Old Apr 9, 2003, 7:26 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
You shouldn't have to use it at all. One pass at the luggage with the Comrade Daschle-approved bomb/chocolate/perfume detector and then no more rummaging allowed, unless there is some obvious problem with the bag like ticking or leaking or smoking...

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Apr 9, 2003, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

tsadude,

Of course I trust the TSA and every U.S.A. airline employee, it's the foreigners I'm worried about at those foreign airports who may just be delighted to receive an unlocked piece of U.S.A. luggage. Thus, I was hoping that you would have a master key (not a sledgehammer) that you could open my luggage, look/touch all you needed to, and then relock it so less honest people would not have access. (There was a thread that mentioned master keys a couple months ago but I have not yet mastered how to do a link to it.)

[This message has been edited by 1K wannabe (edited 04-09-2003).]
Old Apr 10, 2003, 5:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tsadude:

We have processed many weapons and much equipment from CENTCOM troops over the past weeks with no problems of theft.Why would anyone want to rummage through your stuff? Do you really think that the airlines has that many thieves? Better guess again, they barely have enough to load your luggage on time.
</font>
I'm sorry to say tsadude, I disagree. I work on and around airports. Yes, baggage handlers are busy people, but different airports around the world have had problems with things going missing from luggage, and it isn't always possible to put all valuable in hand luggage. Additionally, I do not want anyone to put anything into my luggage which wasn't there to begin with. And so, I will keep locking my luggage - afterall, UK has been total hold baggage screening for years, and has NEVER asked us to leave our baggage unlocked - if you guys are using sub-standard equipment, why should i suffer for it?
Old Apr 10, 2003, 11:09 am

As you state there are problems around the world. I am not concerned with that. I am only looking from within our borders. I have yet to see any statistics in reference to thefts from the airlines operating in the U.S. As many have said here, there has been no terrorist actions here so why all the security. Why all the concern about theft when there is no proof that Ali Babba and his forty thieves are lurking in the baggage area?
Old Apr 10, 2003, 2:04 pm

Thieving baggage handlers is a topic that got a lot of coverage on Dateline (e.g.) a couple of years back. I haven't seen any discussion of how post-9/11 hiring practices for people with access to your luggage may have (at least in theory) affected this. But I think most people in the back of their minds have a notion that at least a few of the handlers aren't adverse to 'supplementing their income.' Hence the concern that we're now not permitted to keep the inside of the bags out of their reach.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 3:15 pm

Programs: Vanishing
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tsadude:
As you state there are problems around the world. I am not concerned with that. I am only looking from within our borders.</font>
But you should be. Your organization demands that we leave our bags unlocked and internationally bound bags are included in that.

I resent your comment about "Ali Babba" and I think an apology would be required. What kind of bigotry is that coming from a government employee? Is that a reflection of the racial disccrimination and/or profiling taking place within your ranks? I hope you know there are other foreign destinations of our airlines than just the Arabic world?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.