Can I carry on silver silverware?

Old Apr 14, 2003, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Can I carry on silver silverware?

Slightly wierd question. I'm moving from Hawaii to Texas in a few weeks. The house has been all packed up and shipped. Following standard moving practice, high valuables are not packed/shipped with the movers. Instead, we are supposed to transport this sort of thing ourselves (jewelery, important papers, savings bonds, silverware). I don't see a problem carrying on my jewelery and papers. However, I wasn't sure that silverware would be allowed in a carry on. I don't want to check (in an unlocked suitcase) my silverware for obvious reasons.

Am I going to be able to carry it on? It is a set of forks and spoons only (old Dutch silver, irreplaceable). My other option is to mail it insured and certified to myself on the day that I leave.

Suggestions or opinions would be welcome.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi, Scigirl,

First of all, why would anyone voluntarily move from HI to TX??? (I know, flame away!) Military family, perhaps?? (I'm retired USAF myself.)

There's no way the TSA defenders of freedom will let you carry on anything that, in their opinion, is a "pointy object." Remember that it it their opinion, however bizarre it might be during the security screening. You're right -- if you put it in your checked bag, you can bet it will be stolen, either by an airline employee or (horrors!) by a TSA employee.

I would seriously consider commercially shipping all of your silverware, fully recognizing how heavy it is. If this is a business-related move, you might encourage your employer to pay for it. The TSA leaves us no other choice. Carrying it with you is just too risky these days -- from theft.

Hope you have a good move.

I remember some advice decades ago from a retired USAF member -- "Three moves equals one fire."
Old Apr 14, 2003, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Yes - no one (in their right mind, IMHO) would voluntarily move from Hawaii to Texas. So, obviously this is a non-voluntary military (USA) move.

I guess the forks qualify as pointy... *sigh* Sounds like mailing them is going to be the best option.

For the record, this is my third military move and I agree that three moves = one fire.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 6:07 am

Hi Scigirl,

There wouldn't be a problem with you having forks and spoons in your carry on luggage. But just as an aside, there's a high chance your bag would get additional screening to double check the dense metal items in the bag.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat
It looks like your best option is shipping your silverware.
Personally, I have a bigger problem with the fact you can't (without risk of theft and no airline reimbursement) check-in such stuff. How can there be all this talk of security, but allow plane access to thieves (what else would they do for money?).

Old Apr 15, 2003, 3:31 pm
Suspended

I'd ship it insured. It's not worth the hassle at the airport or the risk of some overzealous individual confiscating the objects for their home.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 3:50 pm

Contact the FSD for the TSA at the airport you will be leaving from and explain the situation. Their should be no problem to take it in your carry on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.