Search

The Suitcase WASN'T locked, but lock missing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2003, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The Suitcase WASN'T locked, but lock missing

We followed instructions and used cable ties to secure our luggage. We hung the locks on one of the straps (nowhere near the zippers). On the way home, one of the cases were opened (it contained a tri-pod), which we were expecting. BUT, the lock is now missing. It wasn't a suitcase lock, but a bright colored lock that we previously used. The lock on our other suitcase was still there (& it wasn't opened).

What do you guys think about this? While I don't like them opening the luggage, they could have left the lock alone. It wasn't securing anything. It was just hanging there.

The case wasn't opened outbound... It still contained the same tripod. It didn't have anything besides shoes, cosmetics and a couple of tee shirts. Same as outbound. Can't these guys distinguish camera equipment? The TSA didn't bother us at all at the security checkpoint & my husband was carrying a LOAD of equipment - much of it cylindrical .

Opinions?

Mary
Old Mar 17, 2003, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like an article disappeared and you need to make a claim. Could be theft. Call the famous well-publicized toll free number staffed by TSA professionals and I'm sure all will be made right
Old Mar 17, 2003, 11:44 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"We don't steal, not even a sandwich. Talk to (the hand) your airline..."

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by richard:
Sounds like an article disappeared and you need to make a claim. Could be theft. Call the famous well-publicized toll free number staffed by TSA professionals and I'm sure all will be made right </font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Mar 18, 2003, 8:03 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
File claims with both the airline and TSA in the proper manner. You can always revoke a claim later as facts and details come out but you cannot start filing a claim late.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm
Old Mar 18, 2003, 5:31 pm

Make a claim with the TSA in one hand, and make a wish in the other hand...guess which one will fill up first?

rawbert

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AllanJ:
File claims with both the airline and TSA in the proper manner. You can always revoke a claim later as facts and details come out but you cannot start filing a claim late.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm
</font>
Old Mar 19, 2003, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Do you really think it's necessary to file a claim for a lock that's worth, at most, a couple of dollars?

I still can't believe that they did it.

Mary
Old Mar 19, 2003, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
It's not worth it to file a claim since you wouldn't be reimbursed. If you aren't missing anything, just write it off.

The airline would tell you that it doesn't cover anything hanging on the suitcase. I've lost locks before and it had nothing to do with TSA, they sometimes get stuck in the belts (or someone's pocket) during normal handling. That's why you shouldn't leave the shoulder straps attached to checked luggage. TSA would tell you it didn't remove that lock since it wasn't holding the case closed. It's just not worth the hassle.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 11:29 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Yes, file it anyway. The more incidents of theft that are reported, the sooner the insane checked baggage policy will be modified.

From Better Off Dead:

"I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!!!"

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mary2e:
Do you really think it's necessary to file a claim for a lock that's worth, at most, a couple of dollars?

I still can't believe that they did it.

Mary
</font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Mar 19, 2003, 1:08 pm

Why are you assuming that TSA removed it? I am sure a possible explanation is that a burley bag handler tossed your 75lb bag out of the aircraft thus breaking your inexpensive lock.....
Old Mar 19, 2003, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Wasn't an inexpensive lock, and it wasn't small. It was triagular and about 2-3 inches long. The one on the other suitcase wasn't touched. Is it just a coincidence that the cable tie (bright orange) was snipped off this suitcase & the lock is also missing. I doubt it.

I think that the TSA guy saw a lock & assumed it was locking something and broke it off (it was a combination lock). He then realized it wasn't locking anything and snipped off the cable tie to open the suitcase.

My real question is what the heck did they think was in there? It was a 2 foot long camera tripod, some shoes & lots of dirty underwear . The clothes & souvies were all in the untouched bag. The only reason we're traveling with 2 bags is to hold the tripod (since we can't carry it on).

The TSA didn't bother to check our carry on, that contained LOTS of camera equipment, lenses & filters. Now that stuff can look odd through the machines (I've watched). We didn't get bothered at all through security.

I've already started mailing my laptop to my destination.... the tripod is going to start going with it.

Mary
Old Mar 19, 2003, 7:26 pm

Mary,
I'm sorry that your lock was lost/cut which ever. As as TSA baggage screener, I can say that we don't just hap hazzardly decide which bags to get into. I personally screen hundreds of bags a day.We don't spend a whole lot of time analying whether or not we "think" there might be "something" in a bag because it is locked. We use a CTX machine to screen bags. It will highlight questionable areas to check. I am guessing that it was your SHOES that were the culprit especially if they have thick soles. The reason the other bag was not opened was because it was not hit on by the machine.
Our airport has the CTX machines in the lobby, so every effort is made to have the passenger present should we have to enter a bag. Even so we still have pasengers who are unable to find their key, or open their bag and we must cut or break a lock. Having the pasengers present is good in most cases, but makes the check in process a bit slower. Lets face it, nobody likes standing in lines, but especially not when they are stressed about making it to their flight on-time.

The point I was trying to make about the "burly bag handler" was that people think that because they are checking in their precious items or expensive bag, that it will be treated gently. Bags get dropped, stuck in conveyor belts, thrown down the length of the aircraft, smashed on the bottom of a huge pile of bags, left in the rain, fall out of aircraft on the tarmac....on and on. I am amazed at the amount of locks, straps, tags and other items that come off in our machine or on the conveyors....some times it really is not ANYONE'S fault. I hope that your next travel experience will be better.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 9:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">We use a CTX machine to screen bags. It will highlight questionable areas to check. I am guessing that it was your SHOES that were the culprit especially if they have thick soles.</font>
This is a thrilling bit of news. Thick soled shoes are not an unusual item to be found in a suitcase. And these multi million $$ machines cannot tell a shoe from a bomb?? Very reassuring!
Old Mar 20, 2003, 2:44 pm

Where did Richard Reed have his explosive device?? Ever see a photo of it?? It was incredibly small yet it is said that it is strong enough to do considerable damage. The next time u are in the airport ask a CTX screener how that machine works.... and what it hits on...
Old Mar 20, 2003, 3:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Cholula:
This is a thrilling bit of news. Thick soled shoes are not an unusual item to be found in a suitcase. And these multi million $$ machines cannot tell a shoe from a bomb?? Very reassuring! </font>
Maybe they are not designed for shape recognition ya think?

Old Mar 20, 2003, 6:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:

From Better Off Dead:

"I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!!!"

</font>
The is is the joy of this forum. I love that movie!
Rita

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.