Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please do not lock your luggage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2003, 8:46 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Actually, most of the time it's your battery(ies) that is/are too dense for x-rays to penetrate. They are paranoid that you might hide something beneath your battery pack(s). The rest of the electronics, other than the transformers, are likely fairly visible on the x-ray.

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Feb 7, 2003, 1:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
Actually, most of the time it's your battery(ies) that is/are too dense for x-rays to penetrate. They are paranoid that you might hide something beneath your battery pack(s). The rest of the electronics, other than the transformers, are likely fairly visible on the x-ray.

</font>
Just curious Spiff, where did you get your info ?
Old Feb 8, 2003, 6:17 am

He has no info, he does not know the capabilities of the x-ray machine.
Old Feb 8, 2003, 12:24 pm

I've watched the x-ray's screen and talked to the screeners.

Also, I happen to know a little bit about materials science...

http://faculty.washington.edu/pmay/p...tyhowworks.pdf

And, here's a nice pic of a laptop x-ray:

http://ether.asu.edu/video/TiGutz/TiGutz.jpg

Notice the translucent/opaque cylinders in the lower-left hand corner? That's the battery pack. You can see the circuit board beneath some parts of the batteries, but not all that well. Packing lots of stuff in a bag with a computer on top of the other stuff could make it difficult to see the other stuff through the computer.

------------------
Old Feb 8, 2003, 6:52 pm

Still, he does not know the capabilities of the x-ray. Your reason is all wrong.
Old Feb 8, 2003, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ACES II:
Still, he does not know the capabilities of the x-ray. Your reason is all wrong.</font>
Didn't you say you were leaving awhile back gliner?

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 02-08-2003).]
Old Feb 8, 2003, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
Didn't you say you were leaving awhile backgliner?

</font>
How does this statement relate to the topic at hand? Strikes me as intimidation.
Old Feb 8, 2003, 7:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
How does this statement relate to the topic at hand? Strikes me as intimidation. </font>
Not nearly as intimidating as this one was, Brian:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">ACES II

posted 01-24-2003 07:43 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wish I could be a fly on the wall whenever tazi goes through security. I bet it is quite a sight indeed. I wonder what his blood pressure hits. If and when his time does come, I bet it will be while he is being wanded. So many people take themselves so seriously, it is always good to find a place where that is not the case...LOL </font>
Has anyone contemplated your death in writing recently? It's a bit unsettling to say the least so yes, I was hoping he wouldn't be back.

Old Feb 8, 2003, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
Has anyone contemplated your death in writing recently? It's a bit unsettling to say the least so yes, I was hoping he wouldn't be back.

</font>
I have complained to moderators about other threads that were out of control, and they were acted on. If you see this as out of bounds, and without provocation, I suggest the same.

The original topic here was locking luggage, if there is no further conversation on that topic, perhaps this thread too has outlived it's usefulness.
Old Feb 8, 2003, 9:09 pm

Or maybe it's difficult to see the computer through the other stuff?

Besides, this is a black and white image. Uh, welcome to the 21st century.

Anyway, maybe you should read the article on "how things work" again, and you may get your answer about laptops. You might be suprised to find that even though batteries may be a remote link, their composition has nothing to do with why you are asked to remove your laptop. As you can see, a laptop battery is composed of many small batteries. No different that the ones found in hundreds of other electronics.

Hmm....did you figure it out yet.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
I've watched the x-ray's screen and talked to the screeners.

Also, I happen to know a little bit about materials science...

http://faculty.washington.edu/pmay/p...tyhowworks.pdf

And, here's a nice pic of a laptop x-ray:

http://ether.asu.edu/video/TiGutz/TiGutz.jpg

Notice the translucent/opaque cylinders in the lower-left hand corner? That's the battery pack. You can see the circuit board beneath some parts of the batteries, but not all that well. Packing lots of stuff in a bag with a computer on top of the other stuff could make it difficult to see the other stuff through the computer.

</font>
Old Feb 8, 2003, 9:59 pm

There is a very good reason why we are required to remove our laptops. One day you might meet a screener who will tell you what it is, but I doubt it as I believe that it falls under SSI.

Tazi, get over yourself.

ACES II, The number one ejection seat in service in the world today. "When wanding gives you fits, ACES II is a hit."
Old Feb 9, 2003, 12:14 am
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ACES II:
There is a very good reason why we are required to remove our laptops. One day you might meet a screener who will tell you what it is, but I doubt it as I believe that it falls under SSI.

</font>
I am so tired of hearing the SSI excuse, it is old, tired and pure BS.

Are you telling me that LHR security isn't effective, since I don't have to remove my laptop there? Or that their scanning machines are so much better that they don't require it?

If there is a real reason, I am open to listening to and evaluating it. Otherwise, I will continue to consider it an unnecessary pain the @$$.
Old Feb 9, 2003, 1:32 am
sdl

RE: Laptops out of bags

I suspect the SSI 'reason' is the same as for cell phones:

They open them up to see if they 'power up' and are a real functioning computer and not a dummy with parts inside masquerading as legit but really bomb parts.
This is time consuming to do if you must remove them from their bag first.

Mind, any good tech could manage a laptop that can do both, thus the swab check on lots of laptops and their bags....

S
Old Feb 9, 2003, 6:20 am

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 02-09-2003).]
Old Feb 9, 2003, 6:07 pm

Research Paper: "Intricate Screening Technologies for Airport Security"

"The impact of intricate screening on civil rights and liberties must be considered in the context of airport security. Successful deterrence of terrorism is should be based on an informed public which feels part of the security process and believes in its fairness. If the public is alienated because their civil rights are not respected, then they will be less inclined to be vigilant for the security community."

I, for one, am feeling pretty god@#$% alienated.

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.