Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please do not lock your luggage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2003, 9:58 pm
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ACES II:
Bruce, name me one airline that gets the majority of their revenue from business travellers.</font>
Continental Airlines.

------------------
Thank you for choosing Continental Airlines, a proud member of the SkyTeam Alliance.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RUOK_316:
Actually you can put a weapon in your hardsided suitcase </font>
Better look again, cowboy. And this time, ask the airlines.

http://www.delta.com/travel/trav_ser...ndex.jsp#Shoot

Shooting Equipment
One item of shooting equipment is accepted as part of a customer's free checked baggage allowance. For each item listed, one item of shooting equipment is defined as one or a combination of the following:

Rifles
One rifle case containing:

two or fewer rifles (with or without scopes)
one shooting mat
one small pistol tool kit
noise suppressers
11 lbs. of ammunition
Cases containing more than two rifles will be assessed an excess baggage charge.

Shotguns
two shotguns
two shotgun cases
11 lbs. Of ammunition
Cases containing more than two shotguns will be assessed an excess baggage charge.

Pistols
One pistol case containing:
two pistols
pistol telescopes
noise suppressers
a small pistol tool case
11 lbs. Of ammunition
Cases containing more than two pistols will be assessed an excess baggage charge.

You may purchase a hard-sided case (12" x 52" x 4 1/2") with suitcase type lock (capable of holding two rifles with scopes) for $75 plus local tax at most Delta Airport Ticket Counters.

When checking a firearm, you must:
declare to the Delta representative that they are checking a firearm (If a Security Checkpoint is prior to the Delta ticket counter, you must declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel.)
present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration
lock the firearm(s) in a hard-sided, crush-proof container and retain the key or combination
maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit
ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes
Note: Firearms transported to the United Kingdom as checked baggage require a permit from the United Kingdom. The passenger must contact the United Kingdom for more information regarding this permit.

Ammunition in excess of 11 lbs. per passenger or that contains incendiary projectiles is prohibited.

Old Feb 25, 2003, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Richard,

Concerning money-making aspects of the airline industry, I had a long-time friend who is a long-time UAL employee tell me once that the biggest source of revenue for UA was their mail contracts. In fact, he told me that they didn't care so much about the passenger load on a particular flight as long as the cargo hold was full of mail. Also, he said that UA, years ago, bid on all of PanAm's South America routes so they could get the mail contracts.

He told me this several years ago. Is this still correct?
Old Feb 25, 2003, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have heard this before but I do not know if it is true. I don't think cargo and mail can be the answer to the airline's problems though.

Speaking of cargo and mail, ironically, these are not screened although baggage is. Screening them would really be too cumbersome, the airlines have argued.

And doing away with mail and cargo flying with pax would be financially disasterous for the airlines, which is why the airlines have successfully fought the screening of mail and cargo.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 11:28 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Just Passing Thru:
Better look again, cowboy. And this time, ask the airlines.

http://www.delta.com/travel/trav_ser...ndex.jsp#Shoot

Shooting Equipment
One item of shooting equipment is accepted as part of a customer's free checked baggage allowance. For each item listed, one item of shooting equipment is defined as one or a combination of the following:

Rifles
One rifle case containing:

two or fewer rifles (with or without scopes)
one shooting mat
one small pistol tool kit
noise suppressers
11 lbs. of ammunition
Cases containing more than two rifles will be assessed an excess baggage charge.

Shotguns
two shotguns
two shotgun cases
11 lbs. Of ammunition
Cases containing more than two shotguns will be assessed an excess baggage charge.

Pistols
One pistol case containing:
two pistols
pistol telescopes
noise suppressers
a small pistol tool case
11 lbs. Of ammunition
Cases containing more than two pistols will be assessed an excess baggage charge.

You may purchase a hard-sided case (12" x 52" x 4 1/2") with suitcase type lock (capable of holding two rifles with scopes) for $75 plus local tax at most Delta Airport Ticket Counters.

When checking a firearm, you must:
declare to the Delta representative that they are checking a firearm (If a Security Checkpoint is prior to the Delta ticket counter, you must declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel.)
present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration
lock the firearm(s) in a hard-sided, crush-proof container and retain the key or combination
maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit
ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes
Note: Firearms transported to the United Kingdom as checked baggage require a permit from the United Kingdom. The passenger must contact the United Kingdom for more information regarding this permit.

Ammunition in excess of 11 lbs. per passenger or that contains incendiary projectiles is prohibited.

</font>
Hard sided suitcases are acceptable as weapons containers as long as they can be locked. We have several weapons(shotguns,Bushmasters,handguns) per week go through in suitcases that are declared.

Old Feb 25, 2003, 11:30 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by richard:
I have heard this before but I do not know if it is true. I don't think cargo and mail can be the answer to the airline's problems though.

Speaking of cargo and mail, ironically, these are not screened although baggage is. Screening them would really be too cumbersome, the airlines have argued.

And doing away with mail and cargo flying with pax would be financially disasterous for the airlines, which is why the airlines have successfully fought the screening of mail and cargo.
</font>
Cargo is scheduled to be screened in the near future.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 7:15 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Wow, good thing the terrorists aren't on some kind of schedule...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tsadude:
Cargo is scheduled to be screened in the near future.</font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Feb 26, 2003, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tsadude:
Hard sided suitcases are acceptable as weapons containers as long as they can be locked. We have several weapons(shotguns,Bushmasters,handguns) per week go through in suitcases that are declared.
</font>
Actually, most major airlines have more stringent requirements on the packaging, storage and declaration of checked-baggage firearms than RUOK claimed. Just because the TSA approves of a certain level of security does not mean that the airlines can't tighten up even more than that. And most do tighten up more.

That's the point I was trying to make.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 11:36 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
Wow, good thing the terrorists aren't on some kind of schedule...

</font>
I'm sure that you will be violated in some way when this takes affect.

[This message has been edited by tsadude (edited 02-26-2003).]
Old Feb 26, 2003, 12:45 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Oddly enough, I won't - unless your brilliant agency suddenly feels the need to start opening everyone's mail too.

I'm sure that you will be violated in some way when this takes affect.
</font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Feb 26, 2003, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course they'll open mail. Anything in a package will be subject to inspection. I am just making this up -- I have no knowledge on the subject but I assume it will happen.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I bet they won't. While the personal "right to privacy" may not be in the Constitution, the U.S. mail does come with a statutory expectation of privacy. The TSA may refuse to allow certain pieces of mail to be loaded onto airplanes, but I doubt very much that they will OPEN mail.

Bruce
Old Feb 26, 2003, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
I bet they won't. While the personal "right to privacy" may not be in the Constitution, the U.S. mail does come with a statutory expectation of privacy. The TSA may refuse to allow certain pieces of mail to be loaded onto airplanes, but I doubt very much that they will OPEN mail.

Bruce
</font>
I think that this would be a good use of canines.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree. I want dogs reading my mail.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 9:04 pm

The TSA is not asking to open mail yet but probably will do so now, but Customs is asking to search mail that may contain contraban. A dispute exist between the USPS and Customs over the constitutionality of the proposal. After 9-11, only letter mail could go on planes and the revenue to the passenger carriers has gone down. I remember seeing a report that the USPS spent $1.9 billion on air transporation last year of which I think close to $1B went to Fedex. A large portion of that used to go to the passenger carriers and was a guaranteed income stream.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.