Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please do not lock your luggage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2003, 9:28 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
Given that the TSA is:

A Government Agency and one of the most wasteful agencies to come along in quite some time:

I bet they pay $10 a dozen for the little cable ties.
Old Feb 15, 2003, 11:34 am

In larger airports (well, minneapolis, anyway), the machines in the basement are not, in any way, temporary. A significant amount of money has been invested in installing them and integrating them into the existing baggage handling conveyor system. The agent places your bags on the belt, they go downstairs, through the machine, and then on to the plane. I don't mean to make it seem like a joke, but I just don't see where a practical meeting place would be to resolve an alarm. I'm sure most passengers would find it very inconvenient to have to leave their gate prior to boarding so that they could go open their bag. I have a feeling that some (not most or even all) people find the current method time efficient and hassle-free.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
Yes, I can imagine it if the little old lady had no objections. I certainly wouldn't. It is my understanding that the installation of these machines is temporary and the next step is to integrate them with the baggage handling system. At the very least, when this is done it should be done in a way that will allow passengers to be present for the searches. It is also my understanding that they have managed to do so in London airports. Perhaps the tSA should take a lesson from them.

Yeah, that'll happen. Ha, Ha!</font>

I don't find this situation to be the least bit funny. Perhaps after you have had your belongings mishandled by a TSA baggage screener you may not either. And in my case, it was definitely a screener, not a baggage handler.

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 02-15-2003).]

[This message has been edited by tmspa (edited 02-15-2003).]
Old Feb 18, 2003, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure one of you will correct me if I'm mistaken here...

Isn't there at least one airport where suspect bags are taken to a secure area and the -pax- is made to open them while the security folks remain safely outside of the area?

Our TSA seems to be fairly unconcerned about triggering the very devices they are searching for.

If I worked for the TSA that thought would scare the he11 out of me.

(spelling)

[This message has been edited by birdstrike (edited 02-18-2003).]
Old Feb 18, 2003, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
The TSA people know perfectly well -- from experience, actually -- that the number of bags with real explosives inside is ZERO or so close to zero that it is effectively zero. They aren't the least bit worried and have no reason to be. They are FAR more likely to die in a car accident on the way home from work -- or even to be struck by lightning -- than to be killed by an exploding suitcase. Let's get real.

Bruce
Old Feb 18, 2003, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by birdstrike:
Isn't there at least one airport where suspect bags are taken to a secure area and the -pax- is made to open them while the security folks remain safely outside of the area?</font>
I will go out on a limb here and say, absolutely not. From what I have heard, you aren't even allowed to re-pack your checked baggage after it has been searched even if you are present.

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin
Old Feb 19, 2003, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
I will go out on a limb here and say, absolutely not. From what I have heard, you aren't even allowed to re-pack your checked baggage after it has been searched even if you are present.</font>
Ah, well. Perhaps I was wrong. I was thinking of airports in Germany, or perhaps Israel.

-b
Old Feb 19, 2003, 3:01 pm

Dr. TSA - When you use master keys to unlock bags, after you place a note do you lock them again? Thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 4:34 pm

They are under very little scrutiny from what I have seen. In addition to the theft problems with leaving your bags unlocked, you can add to the list that some TSA baggage screeners have no respect for the property of others. They do not take care to try and repack items so that they will not be damaged nor to the take care to make sure that everything that came out goes back in.

I agree completely with JPT. I have no problem with the screening but we should be allowed to be present to observe the search and to make sure how bags are locked afterwards.

</font>
You would have to arrive much sooner than the time you are told now for this type of search procedure. Are you willing to wait longer?

Old Feb 19, 2003, 6:23 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RUOK_316:
You would have to arrive much sooner than the time you are told now for this type of search procedure. Are you willing to wait longer?

</font>
Yes, I certainly would.

------------------

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 02-19-2003).]
Old Feb 20, 2003, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ACES II:
I just do not think that the 4th amendment is being broken by screening of my or anyone elses bags whether they are present or not. If they were doing so without anyones knowledge, then I would agree with you.</font>
Ah. So the standard is "it's not a violation if you know we're doing it." I see.

So if the DOJ wanted to enter your house, search it, and leave it open when they left, that's be okay? So long as you knew it could happen? Let's go farther -- the DOJ gets to insulate themselves from liability arising from their actions, too. Someone entered your unlocked house after the DOJ left and stole your TV? Too bad.

I really don't think this is what you mean, but your logic argues in favor of this.

BTW, even though "everyone knew" about Japanese-American detainment during WWII, the US government still apologized and paid reparations. Seems to me that "everyone knows" isn't a valid legal leg to stand on.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ACES II:
Everyone knows up front that they are, so it is not "unreasonable" to accept that they are.</font>
Quite irrelevant.

From what I have seen and read, most of the larger airports have the CTX machines in place and those things do everything (sniffing, x-ray, and organic search {C-4, SYMTEX being organic}) without anyone opening the bag.</font>
I watched my checked bag being scanned last week. When I got to my destination, one small zippered compartment had been left open and the items inside were missing.

Obviously, scanning does not preclude a physical search.

I have seen plenty of people watch while their bags are being searched at my local airport and seen the TSA guys lock their bags back for them. I guess things are different at other airports. </font>
And there's nothing wrong with that, because I agree that we want to keep the bad guys guessing. But I do want the security of my possessions guaranteed by the government, if the government's going to require me to leave my goods unsecured.

Also from what I have seen, the TSA guys are always under a lot of scrutiny (cameras and such) so I would wonder when they would have a chance to steal anything since they screen and then turn the bags immediately over to the airline.</font>
I don't believe I've suggested that TSA employees are swiping anything. I'm stating quite clearly that if your bags are unsecured, all sorts of people have their hands on them and have the opportunity to steal your stuff. If the government wants to had-search my bag, then they need to let me be present so I can re-secure it when they are done.

Now I also have to ask, that since the TSA just took over the duties of the previos private screeners, did you rail against them in the same way or have you just reserved that for anything government related? They were checking bags before 1/1/03 manually.</font>
You really need to spend a little more time reading what I'm saying. I'm not railing against the screeners. I'm railing against a clearly unconstitutional requirement.

Much more of a chance of something being stolen then due to a lack of oversight.</font>
Didn't require you to leave your bags unlocked, though, did they?

I watched them go through my bag with a fine tooth comb once. At least the TSA does not always open my bag, they can screen it on the outside and have done so several times. The previous screeners had to open every bag they screened.</font>
Scanning does not preclude a physical search. And even if you only get scanned, your bag is still unlocked. That's the problem.
Old Feb 20, 2003, 11:24 am

"I don't believe I've suggested that TSA employees are swiping anything. I'm stating quite clearly that if your bags are unsecured, all sorts of people have their hands on them and have the opportunity to steal your stuff" There is a bigger problem here than you realize. If what you state is true about all sorts of people stealing, then the problem is with the airline employees. Most of these people have more clearence and access to airplanes than TSA staff. What else could they be doing?
Old Feb 20, 2003, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RUOK_316:
There is a bigger problem here than you realize. If what you state is true about all sorts of people stealing,</font>
I don't think I said that people are stealing -- I think I observed that the government's requirement sets a dangerous precedent that flies in the fact of the Fourth Amendment. And, incidentally, creates the opportunity for theft.

I didn't say that it is happening, but I did indicate that there's greater potential there now.

then the problem is with the airline employees. </font>
They wouldn't have the opportunity if our bags were secured, would they?

Most of these people have more clearence and access to airplanes than TSA staff. What else could they be doing?</font>
No telling. I am certainly in favor of more stringent security requirements on airport and airline employees.
Old Feb 20, 2003, 2:02 pm

"They wouldn't have the opportunity if our bags were secured, would they?" With the exception of hard case luggage, most bags can be entered by pressing an ink pen into the zipper teeth and then running the zipper back over the opened part to close it. It would not matter if a lock was on it or not. Use your second amendment rights and purchase a weapon and put it in your luggage(making sure you declare it)and it will have to be locked at all times.
Old Feb 20, 2003, 4:07 pm

[BUse your second amendment rights and purchase a weapon and put it in your luggage(making sure you declare it)and it will have to be locked at all times.[/B]</font>
RUOK, people should not have to buy a weapon and carry it with them when they travel in order to lock their luggage.

btw, Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Posting tip: Next time you want to quote someone to respond, click on the double quote icon " " in the legend at the top of that post instead of clicking on 'Reply'.

------------------
Old Feb 20, 2003, 5:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flowerchild:
Dr. TSA - When you use master keys to unlock bags, after you place a note do you lock them again? Thanks.</font>
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.