Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Going through TSA checkpoint with retractable banner

Old Sep 3, 2023, 8:30 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle

Sorry if I’ve mis posted this and there is a dedicated forum for TSA issues….

I want to take a retractable banner - one of those that comes with a carrying case as part of my carry on stuff…. Anybody know if TSA has issues with this…? Nothing sharp on these unless they think I could use it as a baseball bat of sorts…

thanks !!
Old Sep 4, 2023, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Sorry if I’ve mis posted this and there is a dedicated forum for TSA issues….

I want to take a retractable banner - one of those that comes with a carrying case as part of my carry on stuff…. Anybody know if TSA has issues with this…? Nothing sharp on these unless they think I could use it as a baseball bat of sorts…

thanks !!
If you mean the retractable banners that some print shops create for marketing/convention events and can be rolled back up for placement into a cardboard canister the size of a baseball bat, the TSA clears those at the passenger screening checkpoints.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Well, almost... Im talking about the retractable banners that are a little more elaborate, they come with a built-in stand/housing that you assemble & dismantle at every trade show and then put inside a carrying bag. The model I have it a little longer than a baseball bat and wider.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If you mean the retractable banners that some print shops create for marketing/convention events and can be rolled back up for placement into a cardboard canister the size of a baseball bat, the TSA clears those at the passenger screening checkpoints.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 9:56 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Well, almost... Im talking about the retractable banners that are a little more elaborate, they come with a built-in stand/housing that you assemble & dismantle at every trade show and then put inside a carrying bag. The model I have it a little longer than a baseball bat and wider.

Thanks.
Is it similar to a tripod?

Those are permissible.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Not exactly, but similar because it has a housing with two "feet" that retract and act as a base, then there is a rod that you assemble and holds the banner upright pretty much like the sail on a boat... its all packed neatly into a fabric carrying case... these are pretty standard and many sales folks carry these around. I will hope for the best and see what happens when I hit the road on Thursday....

I will report back.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 5:41 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I'm curious as to what this looks like. Could you provide a link to an image?

From your description, it doesn't sound like it violates any prohibitions - no sharp edges or points, not heavy enough to use as a bludgeon, and not shaped like a weapon.

However, it's unusual, and the unusual can sometimes trip up a TSO into prohibiting something they've never seen before. So it is possible it may be disallowed. I'd recommend that you have a backup plan in place to check it, and arrive early enough to do so.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Gaucho100K and Loren Pechtel like this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Yes, Im doing pretty much what you are saying here. I will be checking a large suitcase that I can, if push comes to shove - use that to place it inside and resolve the issue... although Im pretty confident that it will be OK. I will just budget more time for TSA in case they want me to take the thing apart and inspect every single piece.

Here is a link where you can see the type of banner and housing that Im talking about... I think that nowadays all banners are made inside these housings because its the best way to keep them from getting soiled and damaged.

Stand Up Banners | Custom Printed Retractable Exhibition Stands (displays2go.com)

Will report back tomorrow, very early flight out of MIA.

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I'm curious as to what this looks like. Could you provide a link to an image?

From your description, it doesn't sound like it violates any prohibitions - no sharp edges or points, not heavy enough to use as a bludgeon, and not shaped like a weapon.

However, it's unusual, and the unusual can sometimes trip up a TSO into prohibiting something they've never seen before. So it is possible it may be disallowed. I'd recommend that you have a backup plan in place to check it, and arrive early enough to do so.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

TSA didnt even blink with my banner.... it was more the unfriendly and unreasonable AA gate agents that gave me issues with my banner. Worked out in the end, but had to argue with the gate people until a supervisor came over and resolved the issue in my favour.

Thanks to all.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 10:26 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
TSA didnt even blink with my banner.... it was more the unfriendly and unreasonable AA gate agents that gave me issues with my banner. Worked out in the end, but had to argue with the gate people until a supervisor came over and resolved the issue in my favour.

Thanks to all.
Glad to hear it.

I didn't come back to look at this thread until just now - two days later - but I recognize those banners. As soon as I saw them I thought, "Yeah, TSA isn't gonna care about that."

It didn't even occur to me that AA might give you a problem with it.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 8:32 am
Original Poster

I was surprised that the AA agent at MIA tried to give me a hard time with it.... I mean, yes I understand that technically I was breaking the 2 carry on policy but its not that my 3rd item was a rollerboard or a large bulky item, these things fit perfectly in the crew closed and also in all overhead bins... but in the end I think this all comes down to interpretation and goodwill of each agent involved. I lucked out because there was a supervisor near that decided to overrule the agent.

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Glad to hear it.

I didn't come back to look at this thread until just now - two days later - but I recognize those banners. As soon as I saw them I thought, "Yeah, TSA isn't gonna care about that."

It didn't even occur to me that AA might give you a problem with it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.