Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA searched my bag with credit card and laptop inside. Should I be concerned?

TSA searched my bag with credit card and laptop inside. Should I be concerned?

Old Jun 23, 22, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
It's not a good idea from a standpoint of theft and damage, but it's only the batteries that are prohibited.

And I could picture problems like the idiot at security back in the 90s who thought my camera was fake because she couldn't see anything through it. Well, duh, a SLR without a lens attached isn't going to produce an image!
How would they know there is a battery in the camera?

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar View Post
Yes. Basically the airlines will not take responsibility for most everything in checked luggage unless the item or whole bag is missing. And if missing many exclusions.
I remember leaving a cellphone in my checked suitcase recently. Yet, I don't remember TSA opening my bag. The thing that I think led to my bag being inspected was the laptop as I rarely bring a laptop with me these days. My cellphone has a battery inside...
Old Jun 23, 22, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sau54 View Post

I remember leaving a cellphone in my checked suitcase recently. Yet, I don't remember TSA opening my bag. The thing that I think led to my bag being inspected was the laptop as I rarely bring a laptop with me these days. My cellphone has a battery inside...
I do know the one day I inadvertently checked a power bank in PVG they caught it. (It was supposed to have been in my laptop bag but got left in my daypack instead.)
Old Jun 24, 22, 9:27 am
Original Poster

I do know the one day I inadvertently checked a power bank in PVG they caught it. (It was supposed to have been in my laptop bag but got left in my daypack instead.)
So what happened to your checked power bank? Surely they caught it at checked-in or else you wouldn't have known about it?

PVG seemed really strict with power banks. I don't remember of ever being asked to pull out my power bank at any airport until I went to Mainland China. It was at the security screening that they detected it and forced me to take it out to be scanned again. Nothing major, but slowed me down and minimize my time at the lounge.
Old Jun 24, 22, 11:45 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
As a point of information, we have a thread discussing flying with lithium batteries:
Old Jun 25, 22, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

The density and composition of some components in a laptop obstruct visibility for the baggage scanners more than happens with cell phones in the same bag.

I travel with computers, cell phones and other electronics in checked luggage regularly enough. Even when batteries are removed, with the computers at least, the TSA tends to open the checked luggage way more often than when there is no computer in them. If these electronics in my checked luggage get damaged In the course of being checked-in luggage, the airlines are generally liable for the damage up to the financial limit applicable under the relevant Montreal Convention since my flight trips — even those on domestic-only tickets — with such checked-in electronics are generally covered by the relevant Montreal Convention applicable to airline liability.
sau54 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
The density and composition of some components in a laptop obstruct visibility for the baggage scanners more than happens with cell phones in the same bag.

I travel with computers, cell phones and other electronics in checked luggage regularly enough. Even when batteries are removed, with the computers at least, the TSA tends to open the checked luggage way more often than when there is no computer in them. If these electronics in my checked luggage get damaged In the course of being checked-in luggage, the airlines are generally liable for the damage up to the financial limit applicable under the relevant Montreal Convention since my flight trips — even those on domestic-only tickets — with such checked-in electronics are generally covered by the relevant Montreal Convention applicable to airline liability.
I'm going to leave my laptop at home unless I absolutely have to travel with them. I think I read TSA is now testing the new CT scanners. Hopefully, this means I won't have to remove laptops, power banks, or any items from my bag going forward.

Most laptops have integrated batteries these days. I'm not sure how you can easily remove them unless you remove the bottom panel and physically remove it.
Old Jun 26, 22, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So what happened to your checked power bank? Surely they caught it at checked-in or else you wouldn't have known about it?
China calls you to the luggage office if they have a problem with your bag. Admittedly, not speaking the language can be a problem with this but my wife is a native speaker, she's been aware of when there was an issue.
Old Jun 27, 22, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

China calls you to the luggage office if they have a problem with your bag. Admittedly, not speaking the language can be a problem with this but my wife is a native speaker, she's been aware of when there was an issue.
I guess the lesson here is not to check a power bank then.
Old Jun 28, 22, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess the lesson here is not to check a power bank then.
Yeah, I knew not to, it was a mistake. Over the years we've also been called about a couple of things that confused the x-ray people.

Search this Thread