Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizen; Which Passport to Use when Traveling between Third Countries?

Old Dec 8, 2020, 11:58 am

Probably not the case for OP, but I guess the only situation where this might get tricky is when one travels between countries that:
- each require a visa/have an entry restriction for the other
- one/both don't allow dual citizenship.
In that case, I suppose you'd be relying on a sympathetic gate agent, and a passport control agent not being bothered whether you have right to entry for your destination
Old Sep 30, 2021, 9:56 pm

Hi, have some unique questions about dual passport.
I have both Indonesian and US passports.

1st passport has visa free travel to Schengen area.
2nd passport is accepted for applying for Turkish eVisa.

I plan to travel to Italy, using US passport - don't think it will be an issue since Italy is part of Schengen.
From Italy, I plan to go to Turkey, and will use my Indonesian passport to apply for their eVisa - can I do this?
From Turkey, I plan to fly to Singapore. The flight that I have in mind are either KLM or AF flights - which means the route will take me either through AMS or CDG. Will my Indonesian passport got stamped while passing through either hub?
In Singapore, I will enter using my Indonesian passport. At Singapore, I will just transit, and fly down to Indonesia.
From Indonesia, I will apply for another Turkish eVisa to go back to Istanbul.
From Istanbul, I will fly to Milan, but to enter Milan, I will use my US passport.

Is the above do-able and/or legal?
Old Oct 3, 2021, 10:53 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by r0m8470
Hi, have some unique questions about dual passport.
I have both Indonesian and US passports.

1st passport has visa free travel to Schengen area.
2nd passport is accepted for applying for Turkish eVisa.

I plan to travel to Italy, using US passport - don't think it will be an issue since Italy is part of Schengen.
Assuming you meet whatever COVID restrictions are currently in place for Italy, probably fine.

From Italy, I plan to go to Turkey, and will use my Indonesian passport to apply for their eVisa - can I do this?
You need to present your Indonesian passport to the airline at check-in but stamp out of the country by presenting your US Passport to the border officials at the airport. It should not be a problem. People do it all the time. Obviously you present your Indonesian passport when you land in Turkey.

From Turkey, I plan to fly to Singapore. The flight that I have in mind are either KLM or AF flights - which means the route will take me either through AMS or CDG. Will my Indonesian passport got stamped while passing through either hub?
I don't know the requirements for Indonesians traveling in transit through Schengen or US passport holders traveling to Singapore. Others can chime in on this. Obviously, you present your Indonesian passport to the border people at the airport when you leave Turkey and when you land in Singapore if that's how you plan to enter. As far as AMS or CDG, you have the option of going Schengen (if you meet the applicable COVID requirements) using your US Passport; the border officials there would not see/need/stamp your Indonesian passport if you do not hand it to them-- and you would have no reason to. If you are just transiting from IST to Indonesia with a short transit time through AMS or CDG, there is unlikely to be a reason that you would need to enter either country.

In Singapore, I will enter using my Indonesian passport. At Singapore, I will just transit, and fly down to Indonesia. From Indonesia, I will apply for another Turkish eVisa to go back to Istanbul. From Istanbul, I will fly to Milan, but to enter Milan, I will use my US passport. Is the above do-able and/or legal?
It all sounds do-able. As far as your Indonesian passport, no one knows exactly how much data sharing goes on. It is legal as far as each country is individually concerned with each entry and each exit, but Indonesia might not be so amused that you hold 2 passports.

Last edited by Ari; Oct 3, 2021 at 10:59 am
Old Jan 31, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I was advised to use one passport for that set of particular countries that you normally travel. They would have your finger prints and facial recognition software etc. That comes up with the passport you have been generally using to enter that country. The last thing they need is complications by showing them another passport.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:42 pm

Dual citizens - how do you decide which passport to use?

Hi duals!

What is the key/logic you use to decide which passport to use when traveling?

I think the answer to this question is clear when traveling between the countries of your own citizenship. The aswer is also obvious when one passport can provide higher benefits (like visa free access) than the other one. But what if you hold 2 very equal passports and going to a third country?

For example. I am USA and Italian/EU passport holder. Say, I decide to fly on a trip to Mexico, Thailand, Cambodia or Dominican Republic. Am I correct to assume it doesn't matter at all which one I use to enter/depart the country? Are there some other considerations I may not be aware of?
Old Apr 14, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
If you leave the US, and you are a USC (United States Citizen) you have to use your US Passport. When entering Mexico or the country is visa free for either passport you can use whatever Passport you want. Thailand, you will need a visa if you use a U.S. Passport.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
You are correct that if the receiving country treats holders of the respective passports entirely equally then it does not matter which one you use. Remember, for countries that do have active immigration exit controls you will need to present the passport that was used to enter the country.

One obscure but very important consideration: what happens if you get into a legal situation? Outside of immigration policy, some countries have negotiated between them agreements on how their nationals will be treated by the respective legal systems. An alien will generally* be treated by the legal system based on the passport used to enter the country. For example, many countries have agreements regarding consular access to their citizens arrested and detained by the other country - typically consular officials are allowed access within a few days of arrest, regular checkup visits, and are able to positively influence the conditions under which the person is being held.

USA and Russia are currently experiencing, um, "headwinds" in their relationship, much to the detriment of Brittney Griner. a famous US professional basketball player who was arrested and detained by Russia. Typically a consular visit is allowed within a week. Russia did not permit a consular visit by US officials for many weeks outside of the norm. In addition, consular officials are frequently able to positively influence the situation (access to legal advice or medical assistance; better food or detention facility conditions) to help the arrested individual.

So, with all other things being equal but for a variance in how a country will treat nationals of one passport over the other, that should be a factor in deciding which one to use. Of course, how a traveler can know if there is a difference is an entirely different matter - but common-sense and conventional wisdom are useful. For example, if someone traveling to Russia holds both Belarus and US passports, one could probably safely assume the Belarus passport will be more helpful than the US passport. YMMV.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 10:46 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BohaCica1k
What is the key/logic you use to decide which passport to use when traveling?

I think the answer to this question is clear when traveling between the countries of your own citizenship. The aswer is also obvious when one passport can provide higher benefits (like visa free access) than the other one. But what if you hold 2 very equal passports and going to a third country?

For example. I am USA and Italian/EU passport holder. Say, I decide to fly on a trip to Mexico, Thailand, Cambodia or Dominican Republic. Am I correct to assume it doesn't matter at all which one I use to enter/depart the country? Are there some other considerations I may not be aware of?
For simplicity's sake, my practice is to use the passport of my current residence except when the other passport has advantages. In my case, as a US citizen/resident with IE citizenship, this means I use the US passport for entering most countries (CA/MX/AE/etc) and the IE passport only when entering the EU (or EEA/CH/UK) or if it provides a better visa option (I think at least AU and BR would apply here).
Old Apr 15, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles (Silver), Hilton Honors (Diamond), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Clear, Nexus
My rule of thumb is generally to avoid having to "switch" passports when crossing a border if possible. Living in the USA, if I can use my US passport, it is a lot easier to travel without having to think about which passport to pull out when someone asks for it. I always keep the Italian one with me just in case. Even if I entered with the US, I'm still an Italian citizen. The country I'm visiting may not let Italian officials access me if I get arrested and I entered on the US passport, but if there's a natural disaster or something, I doubt the host country cares who rescues you. So the more options, the better!

Here are my rules:
Use the US passport for:
-Canada, as Nexus is linked to US passport, and at the land border, a US passport is a "normal" crossing that they typically deal with
-Mexico, again, for simplicity as they're very used to Americans visiting
-the UK, if I'm flying there directly from the US. With Brexit, there is essentially zero difference between entering on a US or EU passport
-New Zealand, no difference between US/EU passport
-Australia, if I want to use the e-gates and don't mind paying $20 AUD for the ETA (eVisitor for Italians is free but you have to queue up for immigration)
-Israel, as I don't want to complicate an already tough immigration/security interrogation by introducing dual citizenship
-Any country that requires a visa or reciprocity fee from Italians but not Americans (examples: Equatorial Guinea, Mongolia)
-Any country that has equal entry requirements for Italians and Americans, just to be able to stick to one passport
-Any country that requires a visa for both Americans and Italians, so I can get the visa in DC and don't have to go to Rome to get it

Use the Italian passport for:
-EU/EEA/CH and Microstates, as no time limit in Schengen and not need to fuss with ETIAS. I'll fly to Europe on the Italian passport unless flying to the UK and taking train to France, in which case it is easier to do "the switch" at the Eurostar terminal.
-Australia, if I want to not pay for an ETA and don't mind queuing for immigration.
-Any country that requires a visa or reciprocity fee for Americans but not Italians (examples: Vietnam, Bolivia, Turkey)
-Any country with a relevant, material difference in entry conditions, for example, some Caribbean islands give 30 days to Americans and 90 days to Italians, but it would only matter for a longer trip
-Any country in which the US is on bad terms with the government, for example, Iran
-Canada, if I'm flying Air Canada and just changing planes heading to Europe - it is easier to just pay for the Canadian ETA and use that than to try checking in for one flight on one passport and connecting flight on the other, if even possible. Return trip is on US passport.
rossteixeira likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by iad2jfk
-Any country in which the US is on bad terms with the government, for example, Iran
Let's assume that you want to travel from the US to Iran and back to the US, probably with a connection in Istanbul and Doha.

You still need to take two passports, both Italian and US, but you would be using an Italian passport all the way to Iran, and on the Iranian exit point, while presenting a US passport to the check-in agent on the way back to the US.

Would it create problems in Iran? What if they find out that you have both an Italian and US passports?
Old Jan 14, 2024, 10:15 am

Is there any case where it makes sense to use my US passport instead of my Italian passport outside of returning to the US? AFAIK, the Italian passport is superior in every hard (visa policies) and soft (pretending Im not American) way.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 10:26 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by rossteixeira
Is there any case where it makes sense to use my US passport instead of my Italian passport outside of returning to the US? AFAIK, the Italian passport is superior in every hard (visa policies) and soft (pretending Im not American) way.
Take a look at iad2jfk's post above.
rossteixeira likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by rossteixeira
yes in Asia an EU passport is much better.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Davvidd
yes in Asia an EU passport is much better.
Just curious, why would an EU passport be better than a US one in Asia? Last time I checked both passport get the same amount of time in countries like Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, etc.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by BohaCica1k
Just curious, why would an EU passport be better than a US one in Asia? Last time I checked both passport get the same amount of time in countries like Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, etc.
Not just the time but countries like Vietnam and others have less fuss too. Just the geopolitics.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.