Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Expired US passports can be used to travel to the US through June 30, 2022 [updated]

Expired US passports can be used to travel to the US through June 30, 2022 [updated]

Old May 27, 2021, 1:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Due to the pandemic, the US has revised course to allow US citizens to fly back to the US from abroad on expired US passports that meet certain requirements.

Originally Posted by State.gov
U.S. citizens currently overseas whose passports expired on or after January 1, 2020, may be able to use their expired U.S. passport for direct return travel to the United States until December 31, 2021. Certain criteria apply, and we encourage U.S. citizens to confirm their eligibility for traveling on an expired passport at COVID-19 Traveler Information prior to finalizing travel arrangements.
Full-duration passports -- 10 year validity for adult passports or 5 year validity for children passports -- which expired/expire in 2020 or 2021 can -- by State policy -- be used to fly back to the US for the remainder of this year, assuming you get a cooperative airline/agent to allow it:

https://www.state.gov/return-travel-...u-s-passports/

Update to share the same content after a site page change:

https://www.state.gov/return-travel-...u-s-passports/

NYT on this: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/25/t...passports.html

Last edited by GUWonder; May 27, 2021 at 4:48 pm
Old Jun 25, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
You can always enter the U.S. with an expired passport, or no passport if you are a U.S. citizen. If you are a citizen you cannot be denied entry. BUT, getting an airline to agree to fly you (because they are subject to fines if you're denied entry) is another problem. Also, be prepared to spend more time at your entry point to verify your citizenship, especially if you're trying to enter with no passport.
SPN Lifer and DanishFlyer like this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rubesl
You can always enter the U.S. with an expired passport, or no passport if you are a U.S. citizen. If you are a citizen you cannot be denied entry. BUT, getting an airline to agree to fly you (because they are subject to fines if you're denied entry) is another problem. Also, be prepared to spend more time at your entry point to verify your citizenship, especially if you're trying to enter with no passport.
Also should be noted, if you transfer in a 3rd country you may not be able to use this option.

By rule, if you were to get to US, be found inadmissible, you'd be returned to the country you just flew in from, not where you originated. Thus why some countries require you to be admissible to their country to transit.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 5:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

The new policy is If the above-noted type of US passport expired on or after January 1, 2020, the expired US passport can be used to return directly to the United States until the end of March 2022.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 11:08 am

My US-citizen husbands passport just expired and he hasnt been able to get a new one were booked to fly from LHR to LAX next week. This exception totally applies to him, but is it likely Virgin will deny him boarding? I called them and they were clueless.

Originally Posted by rubesl
Old Mar 18, 2022, 12:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by RJC9999
My US-citizen husband’s passport just expired and he hasn’t been able to get a new one — we’re booked to fly from LHR to LAX next week. This exception totally applies to him, but is it likely Virgin will deny him boarding? I called them and they were clueless.
This exception is in effect through March 31, 2021.

Extension of Temporary Measure Allowing Return Travel to the United States on Expired U.S. Passport
U.S. citizens currently abroad whose passports expired on or after January 1, 2020, may be able to use their expired U.S. passport for return travel to the United States until March 31, 2022. Certain criteria apply, and we encourage U.S. citizens to confirm their eligibility for traveling on an expired passport at https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...formation.html prior to finalizing travel arrangements.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 12:32 pm

Yep, I’m 100% sure he *should* be allowed to fly, but I’m just worried about the airline staff refusing to let him because they’re misinformed (like the Virgin rep I spoke with this morning). I’m wondering if there’s anything we can do to avoid that happening?

It’s the quote I was originally replying to that’s writing us! (“getting an airline to agree to fly you (because they are subject to fines if you're denied entry) is another problem”)

Originally Posted by TWA884
This exception is in effect through March 31, 2021.

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 18, 2022 at 1:52 pm Reason: Fix BB Code
Old Mar 18, 2022, 1:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by RJC9999
Yep, Im 100% sure he *should* be allowed to fly, but Im just worried about the airline staff refusing to let him because theyre misinformed (like the Virgin rep I spoke with this morning). Im wondering if theres anything we can do to avoid that happening?

Its the quote I was originally replying to thats writing us! (getting an airline to agree to fly you (because they are subject to fines if you're denied entry) is another problem)
The agents should be able to verify this through Timatic.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 1:24 pm

Thank you! Id asked the Virgin rep that specifically and she said she wasnt trained on that so I gave up.

Originally Posted by TWA884
The agents should be able to verify this through
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

June 30, 2022.

Travel with Expired U.S. Passport ends June 30, 2022

“After June 30, 2022, you will not be able to use your expired U.S. passport to return to the United States.”

Finalized decision to not extend it was put forward publicly earlier Thursday.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by GUWonder
June 30, 2022.

Travel with Expired U.S. Passport ends June 30, 2022

After June 30, 2022, you will not be able to use your expired U.S. passport to return to the United States.

Finalized decision to not extend it was put forward publicly earlier Thursday.

just to be clear: this means that
a) a common carrier may no longer accept an expired passport as evidence of admissibility and therefore may not allow a pax with an expired passport to board, but
b) a US citizen who arrives at a US Port of Entry with an expired US passport will still be allowed entry (pending verification of identity/citizenship even if that verification may take a long time), correct?
seawolf and GUWonder like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Section 107
just to be clear: this means that
a) a common carrier may no longer accept an expired passport as evidence of admissibility and therefore may not allow a pax with an expired passport to board, but
b) a US citizen who arrives at a US Port of Entry with an expired US passport will still be allowed entry (pending verification of identity/citizenship even if that verification may take a long time), correct?
correct.
GUWonder likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.