Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skiplagged for Mexican visa holders?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2021, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Skiplagged for Mexican visa holders?

If a Mexican national uses skiplagged to reach an american destination and then skips the second leg of the flight, will there be an issue with getting into the city they first land in? Unique question and didn't know where to post...
Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I don't even know what this means.
catocony and Misco60 like this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Mark Scacewater
If a Mexican national uses skiplagged to reach an american destination and then skips the second leg of the flight, will there be an issue with getting into the city they first land in? Unique question and didn't know where to post...
You will always go through the immigration process at the first US port of entry. If you're admissible to the country, you can exit the first airport, or travel further as you wish.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 2:24 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
This is likely to start as an airline issue, but could also become an admissibility issue. If I understand your question, you are asking about a so-called "hidden city" itinerary. This is one which prices an itinerary cheaper if it connects in an interim city (A to B, then B to C), than if you were flying nonstop (A to C). Or, you want to fly A to B and you therefore terminate your trip and do not fly on to C, because the connecting ticket you bought to save airfare: A to B and B to C is cheaper than A to B. Typically airlines have rules against skipping one of the connecting points or ending your journey before flying all ticketed segments. Most airlines can charge customers or invalidate the return portion, if an itinerary is not flown as ticketed.

If flying this itinerary crosses International borders, and the arriving country requires possession of a valid airline ticket for onward or return travel which is flown in an "invalid manner" by the traveler, it could raise an issue whether the traveler can be (re)admitted. It all depends on the specifics of the airline's rules, the country's immigration/transit rules, and how they are interpreted by immigration officers and airline personnel, respectively.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 23, 2021 at 2:32 pm
Old Apr 23, 2021, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
... Typically airlines have rules against skipping one of the connecting points or ending your journey before flying all ticketed segments...
No, the OP wants to skip the last segment. Presumably the immigration process will be at a major hub, at which point their entire itinerary will still be valid. Nothing is skipped at that point.

If flying this itinerary crosses International borders, and the arriving country requires possession of a valid airline ticket for onward or return travel which is flown in an "invalid manner" by the traveler, it could raise an issue whether the traveler can be (re)admitted. It all depends on the specifics of the airline's rules, the country's immigration/transit rules, and how they are interpreted by immigration officers and airline personnel, respectively.
The question is specifically about entering USA. Will there be problems for the OP during subsequent crossings of the US border? What's the connection between airline rules and the immigration process?
Old Apr 23, 2021, 3:00 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I think that in many cases, (maybe most cases?), not flying all outbound segments on a ticket may not raise an admissions issue. But I didn't want to gloss over the possibility that that could arise, particularly if USA Immigration wants to ask a lot of questions in a particular case.
MaxVO and Often1 like this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 23, 2021 at 4:30 pm Reason: Correct typo.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As to OP's specific question, nobody here can advise or predict what will happen at CBP on arrival. If you enter at LAX, are ticketed to LAS, but cannot provide evidence of a LAS hotel or address, you may be denied entry and sent back to LAS. Similarly, if it is later determined that you did not proceed as you presumably will advise CBP, your future admissibility may be at stake.

All comes down to your risk tolerance vs, money saved. As a non-USN, you are toying with admissibility.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 4:40 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Disrespecting an airlines rules on flying all purchased segments does not make one inadmissible. And there is no mechanism for the airlines to "complain" to CBP about a pax disrespecting their rule and therefore render the person inadmissible in the future. Potentially an airline could retribute against a pax by reporting him as a threat to aviation security (and thereby be placed one of the no-fly lists) but "failure to fly a segment" is not one of the justifying criteria and justifying any of the criterion is not easy (and really, no airline would ever care enough to try for a variety of reasons).
Old Apr 23, 2021, 4:43 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Often1
As to OP's specific question, nobody here can advise or predict what will happen at CBP on arrival. If you enter at LAX, are ticketed to LAS, but cannot provide evidence of a LAS hotel or address, you may be denied entry and sent back to LAS. Similarly, if it is later determined that you did not proceed as you presumably will advise CBP, your future admissibility may be at stake.

All comes down to your risk tolerance vs, money saved. As a non-USN, you are toying with admissibility.
Wow, I know Vegas is a unique place but I never knew one could be deported to there - please, tell me how!!!
Old Apr 23, 2021, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Section 107
Wow, I know Vegas is a unique place but I never knew one could be deported to there - please, tell me how!!!
It looks like a typo mistake: I think that the OP meant sent back to Mexico.
Old May 1, 2021, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I think that in many cases, (maybe most cases?), not flying all outbound segments on a ticket may not raise an admissions issue. But I didn't want to gloss over the possibility that that could arise, particularly if USA Immigration wants to ask a lot of questions in a particular case.
Why would Immigration care as long as the passenger doesn't overstay their visa? At the time of entry, the return ticket would still be valid. They're only concerned with that, not if they tried to save a buck on the airlines. If the info on their I-94 is accurate, the rest is between the flyer and the airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.