Wiki Posts
Search

Wooden "ice axe" cane vs TSA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2021, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Wooden "ice axe" cane vs TSA

I'm thinking of taking this cane with me on a couple of US domestic flights, CLE-LAX and back. It'll have a rubber tip. It won't fit in the bag I'm checking, so it'll have to be a carryon. The axe head is wood, if that's not obvious, and it doesn't have a metal spike. I'll be in a wheelchair and will need a cane for mobility.

My younger sister just scanned a slide of the two of us flourishing our new canes in Zakopane, Poland in 1966. Hers is kid-sized, but mine is a small adult cane -- it looked huge next to the tiny 11-year-old me. I'd like to get an updated shot with us in the same pose. It probably won't be possible to find someone in a bear suit to complete the reproduction.

Can anyone tell me if TSA is likely to give me trouble about it?

Old Feb 15, 2021, 5:10 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Leave it at home or check it as the TSA will not let it through because it looks like an axe, aka a replica.
Loren Pechtel and chollie like this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 5:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Can anyone tell me if TSA is likely to give me trouble about it?
Have you taken a look at this thread?According to the TSA's Disabilities and Medical Conditions webpage:
  • Aids: Walkers, crutches, canes or other mobility aids and devices must undergo X-ray screening. A TSA officer will inspect the item if it cannot fit through the X-ray. Notify the TSA officer if you need to be immediately reunited with the device after it is screened by X-ray.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I just realized I get two checked bags on this JN ticket. I guess I'll check the cane if I decide to bring it.

Thanks
chollie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.