Laptop Question Through XRay Scanning

Old Sep 14, 20, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Laptop Question Through XRay Scanning

So when I fly, I always carry two laptops with me and put it in a big messenger bag with no issue. One of them, i have a case for it... but the other I do not. So when I have to put it on the tray, i put the case and then laptop over it... then my other laptop... i just put it on the tray.

Now with the covid situation... I know I still have to put a laptop in that separate container... but are you allowed to put it in a clear plastic bag or something like that where the computer doesn't touch the container/box that they tell you to put everything in? Or is that not allowed? Because since everyone put everything in those containers as it gets scanned through xray... i guess i can't right?

Obviously when I get back, I will clean everything but I assume you still have to put the laptop by itself? I do know i never had an issue with putting a laptop on top of the case whenever I always have it put in the box. But i know i have to wash everything cleanly when i get back to the US.
Old Sep 15, 20, 7:59 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
This is an interesting question. I thought the rule was that laptops must be in a single layer, i.e. they couldn't be on top of the case or anything else.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I like your solution. There are 2-gal and 3-gal Ziploc bags available that will fit most laptops, so if TSA allows them, I think they'll make a nice solution to the problem. Even after the pandemic they'll be a nice solution to keeping other peoples' germs away from your laptop. And vice-versa.

ETA: I would recommend traveling with some sanitizing wipes anyway, so you can wipe down tables, chairs, airplane seats and trays, and even your own stuff, whenever you deem it necessary. If you can't find any wipes (they're still very hard to find in US stores), you might be able to make your own with paper towels and some sanitizer or alcohol; there are many tutorials online about how to do this.
TWA884 and squeakr like this.
Old Sep 15, 20, 8:55 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
just curious on your plan for keeping the laptop safe: are you planning to carry just one plastic bag to re-use? Or will you carry a supply of plastic bags and discard one each time it comes in contact with a surface that has been potentially exposed to the public? When you are about to use the laptop, are you planning to place some sort of barrier on the intended work surface before placing the laptop on it? Will you be wearing gloves each time you handle the bag(s)/barriers?

You might find it more convenient and eco-friendly just to carry a small package of sanitizing/disinfecting wipes in your laptop bag to clean the laptop after placing it on a surface that has possible exposure.

Also, keep in mind that while infection from contact with a contaminated surface is certainly POSSIBLE, public health authorities have no to little data about such transmission actually occurring and believe that infection through such transmission is considered unlikely. Of course, lack of evidence does not mean it isn't happening...and like with so much more about this pathogen of which the experts really know nothing - being cautious is good, especially for those at increased risk of severe health complications.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 20, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you want to try it and it fails, the worst you face is being told to take the laptop out of the bag before it goes into the machine. But, as others note, don't focus on the checkpoint tray. If you worry that you will be infected because an infected person touches an item, places it in a bin and you then later touch something which was placed in that bin, you really do need to wipe the laptop down every time it is exposed to other people or surfaces.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Sep 15, 20, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Can you post a picture of those gal ziplock bags you talking about? I dont know of any ziplock bags that are big enough that fit a laptop?

My play would be put a bag over each laptop... then once it passes the tray, i would probably throw the bag away? Then put my laptop in the case and the other laptop which doesn't have a case... then put both of them in my messenger bag. Thoughts on that? The thing is i only use my laptop inside... i rarely bring it outside... i use it inside. So it would be like a one time use of the bag to put on tray... then discard it right there after it goes through the scan. Thoughts on that?

I do have a bottle of those lysol wipes that has wipes in them. Are those allowed to be brought in? Its like a cyclinder case if you know what i mean. I also have like walfort wipes but those aren't sanitizing wipes right? By sanitizing wipes you mean specifically lysol wipes?

Also related to this. I also have a men sun hat that i always wear. I have this big plastic bag that i put it in... so once i go put thing through scanner... i put the hat in the plastic clear bag and then put it in the tray... then put the hat back on my head and then put that big plastic bag in my messenger bag.

Now my issue here is... i would want to throw it away after it gets on the bin. Do you think that is extreme or not?

But can someone tell me where are these ziplock or big plastic bags where i could actually fit in a laptop or a man sun hat? Im more concerned about this since well i would be putting the sun hat right back on my head once it goes through the xray. The thing is i dont like to put it in my checked luggage because it would ruin the hat if i squish it itself my checked luggage. Any opinion on this?
Old Sep 15, 20, 9:32 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Amazon Amazon
has Ziploc Big Bags, Large (15" x 15"), X-Large (24" x 20"), XX-Large (24" x 32") and Jumbo (24 x 32.5).
GUWonder and Loren Pechtel like this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 10:19 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by jerry90210 View Post
Can you post a picture of those gal ziplock bags you talking about? I dont know of any ziplock bags that are big enough that fit a laptop?

My play would be put a bag over each laptop... then once it passes the tray, i would probably throw the bag away? Then put my laptop in the case and the other laptop which doesn't have a case... then put both of them in my messenger bag. Thoughts on that? The thing is i only use my laptop inside... i rarely bring it outside... i use it inside. So it would be like a one time use of the bag to put on tray... then discard it right there after it goes through the scan. Thoughts on that?

I do have a bottle of those lysol wipes that has wipes in them. Are those allowed to be brought in? Its like a cyclinder case if you know what i mean. I also have like walfort wipes but those aren't sanitizing wipes right? By sanitizing wipes you mean specifically lysol wipes?

Also related to this. I also have a men sun hat that i always wear. I have this big plastic bag that i put it in... so once i go put thing through scanner... i put the hat in the plastic clear bag and then put it in the tray... then put the hat back on my head and then put that big plastic bag in my messenger bag.

Now my issue here is... i would want to throw it away after it gets on the bin. Do you think that is extreme or not?

But can someone tell me where are these ziplock or big plastic bags where i could actually fit in a laptop or a man sun hat? Im more concerned about this since well i would be putting the sun hat right back on my head once it goes through the xray. The thing is i dont like to put it in my checked luggage because it would ruin the hat if i squish it itself my checked luggage. Any opinion on this?
I use several different sizes of Ziploc bags for organization and storage. For food items, I use a Ziploc only once and discard, but for non-food items, I re-use them until they start to wear out. They're meant to be disposable, but the larger the size, the more expensive, so I try not to be wasteful.

I wouldn't throw the large bag away after each use. A spritz of disinfecting spray when you get to your destination will kill any germs left on the outside of the bag. I'd just carry a smaller bag, say a 1-gal, in your carry-on. Once you're through the c/p, you can remove the large bag from your laptop, pack the large bag inside the smaller bag, and put the whole thing into your carry-on for the flight. When you arrive, you can disinfect the large laptop bag at your leisure and re-use. A simple wipe-down can save you a buck or two, and reduce the amount of plastic that goes into the landfill.

My personal choice, next time I fly, will be to not use a plastic bag for my laptop. I'll put the laptop directly into the gray tub, and when I reach my destination, I'll wipe the laptop down with disinfecting wipes to ensure that it's clean.

I'll also be sure to use sanitizer on my hands after I've gone through the c/p, since my hands will be touching the tubs and the belt directly. I have visited my local airport (BWI) a number of times since th e pandemic began, but not to fly, and they have sanitizer stations scattered around the terminal. I find myself cleaning my hands at almost every station without thinking about it. This, wearing a mask, and social distancing to the extent possible, will keep you safer than trying to keep your laptop 100% sterile through the airport. Cross-contamination is just too easy, so it's better to interdict germs at the place where most of them get into your system - on your own hands.

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Amazon has Ziploc Big Bags, Large (15" x 15"), X-Large (24" x 20"), XX-Large (24" x 32") and Jumbo (24 x 32.5).
I was thinking more of the 3.5gal bags, which are 16"x18", much closer to the size of the average laptop. But they're expensive; the 3-gal 15"x15" size you linked would work just as well and are cheaper.
Amazon Amazon

Jerry90210, I suggest you check out TWA884's link. One of those bags may work perfectly for your hat.
Old Sep 16, 20, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Hi well the things is im not in the us right now so i cant order it from amazon.com but i will try to look to see if they have these bags here.

Also, we are allowed to bring a lysol spray that is in that cyclinder can with us in carry on? What about lysol wipes that is in the cylinder container? I have those... but i thought you could only put those in check in? Also is there a limit to the ounce of a lysol spray bottle if you bring it whether checked bag or carry on? I have a lysol spray bottle but its a very big and tall on.
Old Sep 16, 20, 3:22 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by jerry90210 View Post
Also, we are allowed to bring a lysol spray that is in that cyclinder can with us in carry on? What about lysol wipes that is in the cylinder container? I have those... but i thought you could only put those in check in? Also is there a limit to the ounce of a lysol spray bottle if you bring it whether checked bag or carry on? I have a lysol spray bottle but its a very big and tall on.
We are straying off-topic for this thread.

That being said, according to the TSA Staying Healthy When Traveling webpage:
Planning on traveling with disinfectants to help keep things clean? Here are a few common items that you may have in your bag:
  • Hand sanitizer: This is good to go in your carry-on bag in quantities under 3.4 oz.
    • Note: In concert with guidance from public health officials regarding community health situations, as of April 2020 TSA is allowing one liquid hand sanitizer container, up to 12 ounces per passenger, in carry-on bags until further notice. Passengers can expect that containers larger than the standard allowance of 3.4 oz permitted through a checkpoint will need to be screened separately, which will add time to their checkpoint screening experience.
  • Sanitizing Wipes: Wet wipes, in any quantity, can be carried on. This includes baby wipes!
  • Disinfectant sprays: You are allowed to have sprays in your carry-on bag as long as they do not exceed 3.4 oz. Pack larger sizes in your checked luggage.
Old Sep 17, 20, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're planning this as single-use thing why not use stretch wrap?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: