Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizen, EU Passport expired - Can I get on flight during COVID-19 Restrictions?

Dual Citizen, EU Passport expired - Can I get on flight during COVID-19 Restrictions?

Old May 27, 20, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat

Dual Canadian/EU citizen. If I were to find a flight to Europe before the restrictions are lifted, would the fact that my EU passport, on which I would claim my eligibility, has long expired create a problem being let on a plane? I do have a still valid national ID card, and the expired passport that should prove citizenship.

What if my wife and kids (Canadian only) were to accompany me? She did not take my last name, kids' is same as mine.
Old May 28, 20, 12:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Take your proof of marriage and your children’s birth certificates and then it becomes much more clear that you are all a family while attempting to use the family exemption.

Originally Posted by bambinomartino View Post
Dual Canadian/EU citizen. If I were to find a flight to Europe before the restrictions are lifted, would the fact that my EU passport, on which I would claim my eligibility, has long expired create a problem being let on a plane? I do have a still valid national ID card, and the expired passport that should prove citizenship.

What if my wife and kids (Canadian only) were to accompany me? She did not take my last name, kids' is same as mine.
I have seen AC, SAS and UA deny transport in such situations under different circumstances, with those circumstances being as indicated herewith: that the presented, expired EU passports don’t constitute grounds for the airline to accept them for use to transport the persons to the EU under the conditions applicable to the persons while having and using the US or Canadian passports for the flight over to the EU/Schengen area for the trips. But this is very much a situation of what the airline reps feel comfortable doing and that does vary from station to station and airline employee to airline employee.

A few months ago, I even saw SAS begin to refuse to transport US-Scandinavian dual-citizens on US passports from the US to CPH despite being visually flashed the Scandinavian passports for Schengen/CPH admissibility purposes; and this refusal was done because the loaded US passports were expiring in less than 3 months even as the Scandinavian passports were not expired and were for the very same persons. That the names on their Scandinavian passports didn’t swipe over into the airline system at check-in in the same way as they had/would with their US passports then became an issue of whether they could transport people whose names in the Scandinavian passports are somewhat different than the names on the tickets booked using the names per the US passports.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 28, 20 at 1:00 am
Old May 28, 20, 1:41 am

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards

The ID card should (!) be enough as it is proof of citizenship and eligible document to enter the EU. It's a different question if the airline accepts that, but in this case it'd be IVDB.
Old May 28, 20, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
The ID card should (!) be enough as it is proof of citizenship and eligible document to enter the EU. It's a different question if the airline accepts that, but in this case it'd be IVDB.
If the flying is from the US — and a lot of Canadians originate trips from US airports despite living in Canada — or Canada, on what basis are you sure that the North American regulators of relevance will consider this to be IDB of the sort that gives rise to rights arising from IDB compensation requirements set by government in the country of trip origination?

I do wonder whatever happened with EU airlines that were giving some people a hassle to travel with Italian national ID even within the EU.
Old May 28, 20, 4:24 am

Of course I'm not sure - still a good lawyer might make a case. After all, the pax would provide valid travel documents, of which at least one is valid for entry at destination and if the airline still denied him boarding, that's a good start.
Old May 28, 20, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others

I suspect you will be denied boarding by the airline on the basis of an abundance of caution. I would not be buying a ticket on this basis, but maybe I'm being too cautious. What does your EU-country embassy say?
Old May 28, 20, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm in a somewhat similar situation. My wife and daughter are dual citizens of both Canada and an EU member state, I am only Canadian. My wife has a passport from the EU country that has her maiden name and is within its period of validity (but is technically no longer valid as she has a new name); we all have the same surname. We consulted with the embassy on this topic and their advice was to issue her an emergency passport valid for 3 months under her married name. Then, once over in EU, she will finally get around to having a permanent EU passport issued under her married name.
Old May 28, 20, 4:26 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
If you are flying directly to that EU country where your passport is issued, I feel your chances of getting on the plane are much higher as it's not like the country of citizenship can deny you entry to your own country! Other EU countries may be more of an issue, unless you have a valid ID card together with your expired passport.

(I was thinking of myself being a UK citizen with no ID card as the UK does not issue such things!)
Old May 28, 20, 11:44 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
EU citizens cannot in general travel freely within the EU at the moment, so if you were planning on flying to a country other than your nationality, mostly the answer is no (regardless of passport expiry).

- DanishFlyer (except not flying ATM)
Old May 28, 20, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
OP case is a big no go for me. The airline will deny boarding because OP cannot present a valid EU passport for travel and this passport is mandatory to travel to EU-Schengen at the moment. Having an ID card and a spouse with the right passport will be of no help. OP should try to have his EU passport renewed by the closest consulate in Canada.
Old May 29, 20, 12:12 am

Sorry, but a passport is not mandatory to travel to the EU. A valid EU ID card is just as good - and OP has such.

PS - An expired passport alone might mean some holdup at the border, but probably in the end also accepted for proof of citizenship and eligibility to enter.
Old May 29, 20, 12:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
OP case is a big no go for me. The airline will deny boarding because OP cannot present a valid EU passport for travel and this passport is mandatory to travel to EU-Schengen at the moment. Having an ID card and a spouse with the right passport will be of no help. OP should try to have his EU passport renewed by the closest consulate in Canada.
And even though the consulates are currently closed, they will renew passports by appointment for urgent or imminent travel. Mr. Fink just had his EU passport renewed at the Italian consultate in Vancouver last week. He emailed them the renewal form and a scan of his expired passport and they set up a time the very next day for him to come in. It was processed the same day and we had it within a few days as we chose the express mail option. We also could have picked it up in person the following day. So just go ahead and get it renewed and remove any doubt.
Old May 29, 20, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Sorry, but a passport is not mandatory to travel to the EU. A valid EU ID card is just as good - and OP has such.

PS - An expired passport alone might mean some holdup at the border, but probably in the end also accepted for proof of citizenship and eligibility to enter.
A valid ID card is sufficient to get into your country of citizenship, but will not be enough for the airline to let you board. IT will be a case of 'computer says no' and I don't think you'll win any IDB case. I place the OP's chances at well below 50%.
Old May 29, 20, 1:39 am

A valid ID card is sufficient to get to well over 30 countries. Still a US airline will probably have no clue.
Old May 29, 20, 1:56 am

A valid ID card is sufficient to get to well over 30 countries. Still a US airline will probably have no clue.
Sufficient to be admissible into the ticketed destination country/zone may not be the same thing as sufficient to exit a country and/or travel by common carrier means of sort to get to the ticketed destination country/zone.

The OP’s primary obstacle will be that of having to convince the operating carrier’s employees to permit check-in and boarding.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: