Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Quarantine Question - US Citizen Traveling to the US for Under 14 Days

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quarantine Question - US Citizen Traveling to the US for Under 14 Days

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:28 am

I called US CBP at Dublin airport and was told the 2 weeks is not a hard rule and that I would be allowed to return to Dublin from US even given my trip duration is only 5 days.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Dublin CBP

Originally Posted by roamingexpat
I called US CBP at Dublin airport ......
Would it be possible for you to share the Dublin phone number for CBP, please? Although I'm flying from LHR to LAX, it might be a means of obtaining clear info on the exceptions to the US ban for UK passport holders, ones married to US citizens. It's all so vague, and the airline (in my case BA) don't have a procedure to circumvent the automatic cancellations of ESTAs. Thank you.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Full Score
Would it be possible for you to share the Dublin phone number for CBP, please? Although I'm flying from LHR to LAX, it might be a means of obtaining clear info on the exceptions to the US ban for UK passport holders, ones married to US citizens. It's all so vague, and the airline (in my case BA) don't have a procedure to circumvent the automatic cancellations of ESTAs. Thank you.
It is pretty clear:

(a) Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply toi) any lawful permanent resident of the United States;

(ii) any alien who is the spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident;
https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...l-coronavirus/

Your ESTA will probably be cancelled and reinstated at the airport once you provide evidence that you are married to and reuniting with a US citizen.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
It is pretty clear...Your ESTA will probably be cancelled and reinstated at the airport....
Thank you for the Proclamation wording. The key word in your response is "probably". Since CBP do not know I am married to a US citizen, and, based on numerous anecdotes here on FT, my ESTA will be cancelled automatically before I go to the airport. Then follows the hassle and trauma of persuading someone behind a check-in desk that I'm exempt, even with our marriage certificate in hand. BA have no method whatsoever of avoiding this scenario as far as I can tell. Numerous phone calls, going higher and higher in the food chain, have produced no advance solutions.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Thank you for the Proclamation wording. The key word in your response is "probably". Since CBP do not know I am married to a US citizen, and, based on numerous anecdotes here on FT, my ESTA will be cancelled automatically before I go to the airport. Then follows the hassle and trauma of persuading someone behind a check-in desk that I'm exempt, even with our marriage certificate in hand. BA have no method whatsoever of avoiding this scenario as far as I can tell. Numerous phone calls, going higher and higher in the food chain, have produced no advance solutions.
I believe BA will be fine and you clearance to travel will be the person with the laptop trolley that puts the sticker on your passport. They will be aware of the exemption. It is unfortunate that you can't avoid this hassle by editing your ESTA information, but I don't believe this was ever conceived.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Would it be possible for you to share the Dublin phone number for CBP, please?
How difficult is that?

https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/...s/preclearance

Although I'm flying from LHR to LAX, it might be a means of obtaining clear info on the exceptions to the US ban for UK passport holders, ones married to US citizens. It's all so vague, and the airline (in my case BA) don't have a procedure to circumvent the automatic cancellations of ESTAs. Thank you.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Your ESTA will probably be cancelled and reinstated at the airport once you provide evidence that you are married to and reuniting with a US citizen.
I don't believe it is that simple. I would agree that if Full Score is indeed flying out of DUB. But if Full Score is flying out of LHR, then I don't believe the ESTA is reinstate-able.

The difference of DUB and LHR is DUB is a U.S. preclearance port of entry, stationed by actual CBP personnel. Because ESTA is issued by CBP, the one revoking it can of course reinstate it. But LHR is not stationed by any CBP personnel. I doubt an airport personnel has the authority to make decisions on behalf of CBP.

Full Score can ask the U.S. Embassy London to issue an emergency visa to circumvent the ban. But I don't believe showing up at LHR before the flight can get the ESTA reinstated.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:02 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Originally Posted by garykung
Full Score can ask the U.S. Embassy London to issue an emergency visa to circumvent the ban.
It would appear that Full Score has already started the process of applying for a visa. Please refer to the thread that they have started in the Coronavirus and travel forum:Please continue the discussion of potential ESTA issues and the possible need for a B2 Visa there. Future posts on this topic will be relocated to that forum.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/security co-moderator
Old Jun 19, 2020, 4:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by roamingexpat
I'm a US citizen residing in Ireland and I must make a quick trip back to Chicago to handle a family affair. I land July 11 and must return to Ireland July 15 making my total time in the US less than 2 weeks. I'm aware of self quarantine requirements upon my return to Ireland. My question concerns my return ORD > DUB leg.

I read this line on the CDC website: "All international travelers should stay home for 14 days after their arrival into the United States." The keyword there is "should". Does anyone have any firsthand experience on whether this is actually enforced?

Thank you.
Yes: not enforced in IL, MN and WI after arriving into ORD from the Schengen area virus hotspot of Sweden.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 19, 2020 at 5:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.