CBP overstay email

Old Jan 20, 20, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
CBP overstay email

I was in NY for a day at the beginning of November. This morning's emails included one from US CBP telling me I had ten days left before I would have to make sure I was out of the US (it's not a scam email).

Any ideas how to deal with this? The email comes from no-reply address, and CBP's Contact Us webpage pull up an invalid URL message. I've tried checking my travel history on the CBP website and precisely zero visits come up - not this one, nor any of the previous visits to the US in the last five years. At the moment my ideas are limited to making an appearance at the US Embassy this morning.
Old Jan 20, 20, 1:56 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Obviously this has nothing to do with BA so will get moved shortly, but I am interested to hear peoples thoughts. How did you leave the US? I regularly check my I94 status online just to make sure it's all up to date, so to hear that you have zero history all of a sudden is a bit intriguing!
Old Jan 20, 20, 2:09 am
Original Poster

I left on a BA flight from JFK T7 with perhaps the longest and slowest queue to get through so-called fast track security I've ever encountered!

It turns out that you can't simply walk into the US Embassy in London, and today is MLK day in any event so it's closed...
Old Jan 20, 20, 2:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I can't see how anyone can enter the USA without an entry appearing here:
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search

Are you certain you are using the right passport details? [Note the CBP do occasionally have IT glitches, it's not just BA that does this].

Whereas, leaving the USA it could get problematic, since it relies on airlines submitting your departure record and sometimes it goes wrong. This is particularly the case if you have some USA-Canada -Caribbean-Mexico transfers - it's not always obvious to the airlines that you are entering or leaving the USA. As an indication of how rare that is, of my last 100 visits to the USA, they have only missed 2 departures (and my travel is way more complicated than most travellers). Now the CBP know this, so while there was a mechanism for sending in I94 departure records for manual correction, if your pattern of travel looks kosher then you will be OK. So for the 2 missed departures I was returning within the 180 days I get (as a visa holder) from the previous arrival.

Because of the lack of computerisation on the Mexican border and some Canada border points, it is well known that people can leave the USA legally without being stamped out. So they now just say the next time you show up, just bring departure information / documentation with you.
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/faq

I wouldn't just turn up at the Embassy, you're unlikely to get past the information kiosk. What you should do is use this form, choose the last option and offer to go to the Consulate in person.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-...-contact-form/

It may be that if you have screwed things up really badly you are better off with a visa anyway, since they normally last 10 years.
Greg66 and shefgab like this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 2:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

This suggestion is on the extreme side but would flying to the US this weekend be an option? Stamp in and stamp out before the ten days are up?
GUWonder, Greg66 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I can't see how anyone can enter the USA without an entry appearing here:
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search

Are you certain you are using the right passport details? [Note the CBP do occasionally have IT glitches, it's not just BA that does this].

Whereas, leaving the USA it could get problematic, since it relies on airlines submitting your departure record and sometimes it goes wrong. This is particularly the case if you have some USA-Canada -Caribbean-Mexico transfers - it's not always obvious to the airlines that you are entering or leaving the USA. As an indication of how rare that is, of my last 100 visits to the USA, they have only missed 2 departures (and my travel is way more complicated than most travellers). Now the CBP know this, so while there was a mechanism for sending in I94 departure records for manual correction, if your pattern of travel looks kosher then you will be OK. So for the 2 missed departures I was returning within the 180 days I get (as a visa holder) from the previous arrival.

Because of the lack of computerisation on the Mexican border and some Canada border points, it is well known that people can leave the USA legally without being stamped out. So they now just say the next time you show up, just bring departure information / documentation with you.
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/faq

I wouldn't just turn up at the Embassy, you're unlikely to get past the information kiosk. What you should do is use this form, choose the last option and offer to go to the Consulate in person.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-...-contact-form/

It may be that if you have screwed things up really badly you are better off with a visa anyway, since they normally last 10 years.
Thatís the page that produces the ďno records foundĒ nil return. I can pull up my most recent I94 using the same input details, which correctly shows me entering on 2 Nov.

interesting you mention the Caribbean as this trip was Lon to NY, stay overnight, NY to GCM for three days, then reverse. I have entry and what looks like an exit stamp for the first NY visit but only an entry stamp for the second one. Having googled a bit Iíve seen references to a white I94 card being given to travellers. I donít recall getting one of this for either visit (not conclusive) but in any event thereís no little white card stashed with my passport.

iíll try the link you suggest and try to make contact. Thanks.
Old Jan 20, 20, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
This suggestion is on the extreme side but would flying to the US this weekend be an option? Stamp in and stamp out before the ten days are up?
I have considered that! Itís parked under the last resort tab for now. Iíve contacted CBP as cws has suggested and offered to attend the Embassy in London. Iíll see how that plays out first.
Old Jan 20, 20, 3:07 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Greg66 View Post
Any ideas how to deal with this?
My guess is the embassy wouldn't be able to help in this scenario and refer you to USCBP. I imagine flying to the US would cause a reset (and discover the error), but I would try a few other potential solutions first.

I would go to the I-94 website and see if there are options to correct/update a departure record. In cases such as traveling via land outside of the US, you'd need to do this manually, at least historically.

If there aren't apparent options on the website, call USCBP on Tuesday afternoon - today is a federal holiday - and ask how to correct the issue. Their number is +1 (202) 325-8000. A phone call is faster and probably a lot cheaper than a flight to the US.
Old Jan 20, 20, 3:22 am

I've never known about this I-94 website prior to today and, upon checking, there's no records of my current passport on it. However, if I search by my old passport number (where there's a US B1/B2 visa valid until 2022) I see everything. Perhaps the OP has a similar situation?
Old Jan 20, 20, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Centurion, HH Diam
Their records are terrible. The system says my wife has an overstay in 1997 (she doesn't), but once we did a FOIA request and saw the records, they were a MESS. Several travels TO the US, where she wasn't recorded leaving, and a couple FROM the US where she wasn't registered entering. The later records are better, but the ones from the mid 00s are a shambles (even from "reputable" airports, such as LAX, SEA etc).

Anyway - one thing to note: Once you have an overstay recorded it's near impossible to get lifted. Once border guy tried, but even he couldn't get through the mess - it's basically impossible. And almost every time you enter you will get pulled into secondary processing (even when you have a proper Visa), which is just annoying beyond words. If it gets registered, you also risk not being able to use for example Global Entry.

Point just being: Make sure you don't get into an overstay. I'd be on a plane tomorrow if it was me.
Old Jan 20, 20, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Greg66 View Post
Thatís the page that produces the ďno records foundĒ nil return. I can pull up my most recent I94 using the same input details, which correctly shows me entering on 2 Nov.
Try using your previous passport number/s.

My entries and departures are still being tracked through a passport number that I last used 3 years ago.

Since then, with the new passport, I have successfully applied for a new US visa, been granted Global Entry and entered the US multiple times, but the new/current passport number throws up the same error that you got.
Old Jan 20, 20, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC
I never knew about this website either until reading this post. I've just done a quick check, whilst arrival & departures seem to be correct, Location, shows as unavailable in a few instances, what would cause this?
Old Jan 20, 20, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
That's an interesting site I never knew existed! Data look very dodgy though! I put in the details for one passport & it showed the right dates for my last entry except I entered on the other passport! I then checked out with the other passport & same set of dates are shown. On reflection I suppose that's probably not dodgy but does show they are able to link that I have the 2 passports!
Old Jan 20, 20, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by Thrifty Scotsman View Post
I never knew about this website either until reading this post. I've just done a quick check, whilst arrival & departures seem to be correct, Location, shows as unavailable in a few instances, what would cause this?
The fact that that information wasn't recorded/captured correctly at the time.
Old Jan 20, 20, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I’d contact BA in the first instance and ask for confirmation your exit data was processed properly.

Secondly on the next time you visit the US take proof with you in documents you can leave with CBP. A print of your boarding pass, a print of the Avios for that flight in your BAEC account, a card transacti9n slip outside the USA, a boarding pass of another flight outside the USA.

You will find that it may take a few minutes more to be processed but nothing too onerous.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: