CBP overstay email

Old Jan 20, 20, 3:55 am

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, *A Silver, Accor Diamond
Similar for me, I never knew this website option existed.
Having checked it, I can find all of my entries and exits...but all using my Irish passport which I never actually use as I have Global Entry in my UK passport and that just works out faster.
I've seen my CBP data record when I updated my old UK passport to my new UK passport to maintain the GE access and there are now three passports in my record: one valid UK passport, one valid Irish passport and one expired UK passport.
I have also been through (several times) an airport that I've never visited or never even knew existed - the Southern California Logistics Airport - but there are no missed exits after an entry so I'll let sleeping dogs lie!
And there are several departures on the correct date where the airport code is unavailable as Thrifty Scotsman notes above.
I think I agree with the majority opinion, it's a bit of a mess as a system.
Old Jan 20, 20, 4:39 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn View Post

Secondly on the next time you visit the US take proof with you in documents you can leave with CBP. A print of your boarding pass, a print of the Avios for that flight in your BAEC account, a card transacti9n slip outside the USA, a boarding pass of another flight outside the USA.

You will find that it may take a few minutes more to be processed but nothing too onerous.
Had to do this for the OH last year. No problem on two separate entries (GE kiosk) but we have kept the document set for subsequent visits just in case.
Old Jan 20, 20, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
interesting link indeed ... once I'd interpreted their airport/border codes! i too have a few 'unavailable' entries. Both ways on an ex-DUB to PHX in 2017, and a departure later that year also terminating in DUB after a trip from OGG. But other ex-DUB trips have shown as [eg] arriving and departing at CLT! It seems the DUB pre-clearance confuses the system!
Old Jan 20, 20, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Peon, TK M&S Nobody
CBP have a presence in Dublin, of course - but whether they can help is a different question. Guessing no, but if discussions with authorities suggest needing to see CBP in person then might be worth suggesting...
Old Jan 20, 20, 4:58 am

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Delta/United Gold
Originally Posted by Greg66 View Post
I left on a BA flight from JFK T7 with perhaps the longest and slowest queue to get through so-called fast track security I've ever encountered!
There is no such thing as fast track at T7.
Old Jan 20, 20, 4:58 am

Programs: RFC
This subject comes up fairly regularly over on the Safety & Travel sub-board. It's very common and can be reasonably easily fixed. If the search function here worked better (or even just worked somewhat usefully) I'd pull up the specific page, but there is a thread there somewhere that included an email address for sending in documentation and getting the record updated.

Failing that, as others have suggested, simply take proof of departure with you next time you visit the US and *if* the point is raised at entry (never ask about it - only answer if *they* ask) simply tell them their "records are mistaken and here's the proof I was elsewhere etc".
redpalmetto and Often1 like this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 5:14 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond ( Thank Amex) Hyatt Discov
worked with old uk passport number not with new passport number although JFK departures showed as unavailable
Old Jan 20, 20, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
There is no such thing as fast track at T7.
OK, well whatever the lane is called that you use from the Club check in desks. It used to go up a ramped corridor on your left, but now you go past that, and turn right into a corridor made of partitioning, IIRC.

ETA: looks like I will have to dig out my old passport this evening. I suspect though it will show no exit from the US on 3 Nov, and that there is no manual entry for corrective data; if so, it is going to confirm what I've been told by CBP and I will need a different option to sort this out.

Thanks to all so far. If I can work out how to sort this out, I will post the "solution" in due course.
Old Jan 20, 20, 5:56 am

Programs: Yes
When I-94 was a white card long time ago, Continental once forgot to remove it from me. I mailed it back to an address and the records was corrected.

Be ready to have your boarding pass/ticket ready to submit to CBP, that should enable them to correct the record.
Old Jan 20, 20, 5:59 am

Programs: BA - Blue
I looked up my travel history using the link, and nothing showed up, worryingly. But if I click on the 'get most recent i-94' tab, one can proceed to get the whole history...which is complete except for the odd 'unavailable' as others have noted.

tb
Old Jan 20, 20, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Originally Posted by SKRan View Post
When I-94 was a white card long time ago, Continental once forgot to remove it from me. I mailed it back to an address and the records was corrected.

Be ready to have your boarding pass/ticket ready to submit to CBP, that should enable them to correct the record.
I wonder how probative a boarding pass is on its own though. For example, I can have one on my phone or printed at home, having checked in online. But neither actually means that I boarded the plane. The BP would have to be cross checked against an airline’s passenger manifest.
Old Jan 20, 20, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Greg66 View Post
I was in NY for a day at the beginning of November. This morning's emails included one from US CBP telling me I had ten days left before I would have to make sure I was out of the US (it's not a scam email).

Any ideas how to deal with this? The email comes from no-reply address, and CBP's Contact Us webpage pull up an invalid URL message. I've tried checking my travel history on the CBP website and precisely zero visits come up - not this one, nor any of the previous visits to the US in the last five years. At the moment my ideas are limited to making an appearance at the US Embassy this morning.
Pretty common... just send it back to the embassy with some proof of your departure and a cover letter... Even a passport page showing next arrival stamp helps..... However, do not expect them to reply or hear back....

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I can't see how anyone can enter the USA without an entry appearing here:
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search

Are you certain you are using the right passport details? [Note the CBP do occasionally have IT glitches, it's not just BA that does this].

Whereas, leaving the USA it could get problematic, since it relies on airlines submitting your departure record and sometimes it goes wrong. This is particularly the case if you have some USA-Canada -Caribbean-Mexico transfers - it's not always obvious to the airlines that you are entering or leaving the USA. As an indication of how rare that is, of my last 100 visits to the USA, they have only missed 2 departures (and my travel is way more complicated than most travellers). Now the CBP know this, so while there was a mechanism for sending in I94 departure records for manual correction, if your pattern of travel looks kosher then you will be OK. So for the 2 missed departures I was returning within the 180 days I get (as a visa holder) from the previous arrival.

Because of the lack of computerisation on the Mexican border and some Canada border points, it is well known that people can leave the USA legally without being stamped out. So they now just say the next time you show up, just bring departure information / documentation with you.
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/faq

I wouldn't just turn up at the Embassy, you're unlikely to get past the information kiosk. What you should do is use this form, choose the last option and offer to go to the Consulate in person.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-...-contact-form/

It may be that if you have screwed things up really badly you are better off with a visa anyway, since they normally last 10 years.
That I-94 system isn't very reliable.... had many trips that were not recorded.
Old Jan 20, 20, 11:05 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
If you exit the US by a land border (eg to Canada) how is anything recorded? There is nothing at the border, just drive out of the US to Canadian immigration.
Old Jan 20, 20, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by global happy traveller View Post
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I can't see how anyone can enter the USA without an entry appearing here:
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search
That I-94 system isn't very reliable.... had many trips that were not recorded.
I haven't checked that site for some time, and I've been carrying documentation to prove two departures from the US that (earlier) weren't recorded on the website. Now, funnily enough, the website history's finally been updated so that I have more departures than arrivals. (Arrivals using green I-94Ws, long after they'd been abolished for air arrivals, seem to fox the system.)
Old Jan 20, 20, 11:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Jagboi View Post
If you exit the US by a land border (eg to Canada) how is anything recorded? There is nothing at the border, just drive out of the US to Canadian immigration.
Indeed, there is no check there. You can legitimately walk over the border at several points, notably Niagara Falls. You can still hand in the paper slips if you have them before departure, and you can download them online too. Canada, however, should stamp your passport at the main crossing points and that's OK for this purpose. There used to be a mini industry where people could mail in their departure slips but now they have given up on that reconciliation and just ask passengers to prove departure if the next visit is out of sync. If you make a new entry to the USA within the time of the previous time allowed then the system just clears it down automatically, so that should not need proof.

===

Special tip: Anyone Global Entry and not USA/Canadian is advised to get their passport stamped on initial arrival into the USA, otherwise if you subsequently come back into the USA from Canada the whole thing looks a mess. So for example you visit NYC or Buffalo, you go over the bridge at Niagara Falls, have some Tim Hortons, come back to Buffalo / NYC. When you arrive back in the USA the port agents there cannot see your initial GE entrance to the USA (different system, GE and ESTA isn't for land borders) but they can see your Canada stamp. So ask for a stamp when you get to the USA first time around and explain you are leaving by a land border. When you come back into the USA the previous and still valid stamp removes any issues.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: