Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Clearing US Passport Controls and Customs after Separated from Bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

Have a family member traveling XYZ-SN-BRU-UA-EWR-UA-IAH-UA-ABC on SN/UA. Due to XYZ-BRU being delayed due to IRROPS by SN, was re routed on a later UA flight BRU-UA-ORD-UA-IAH-ABC. However, the BRU-EWR flight and BRU-ORD flights were close in time such that I think their bags are on the original flight and not the newly rerouted flights.

If that is the case, relative will have to clear customs in ORD without bags. Few questions:

1. Where should they file a claim? Do they need to file a claim in ORD that they are missing their bags there are wait til getting to ABC?
2. The IAH-ABC flights are actually both the same flight on both routings, it was just that the BRU-ORD UA flight left later than the BRU-EWR flight such that there was enough time to make the connection in BRU. If relatives bags indeed made the BRU-EWR flight, would the bags clear customs fast enough in EWR without relative so that the bags would go on to IAH and then to ABC?
3. Any special customs clearing in ORD?

Thanks in advance...
Old Dec 26, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Have a family member traveling XYZ-SN-BRU-UA-EWR-UA-IAH-UA-ABC on SN/UA. Due to XYZ-BRU being delayed due to IRROPS by SN, was re routed on a later UA flight BRU-UA-ORD-UA-IAH-ABC. However, the BRU-EWR flight and BRU-ORD flights were close in time such that I think their bags are on the original flight and not the newly rerouted flights.

If that is the case, relative will have to clear customs in ORD without bags. Few questions:

1. Where should they file a claim? Do they need to file a claim in ORD that they are missing their bags there are wait til getting to ABC?
2. The IAH-ABC flights are actually both the same flight on both routings, it was just that the BRU-ORD UA flight left later than the BRU-EWR flight such that there was enough time to make the connection in BRU. If relatives bags indeed made the BRU-EWR flight, would the bags clear customs fast enough in EWR without relative so that the bags would go on to IAH and then to ABC?
3. Any special customs clearing in ORD?

Thanks in advance...
A1: Travelers always make claims for missing baggage that the final destination airport. The airline operating the final segment of a multisegment journey is responsible for checked baggage for all segments. This is a travel industry convention - in edge cases it does not necessarily make logical sense, but it does give certainty to the traveler as to who they must work with - the airline operating the segment that gets them to their destination.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mnbp
A1: Travelers always make claims for missing baggage that the final destination airport. The airline operating the final segment of a multisegment journey is responsible for checked baggage for all segments. This is a travel industry convention - in edge cases it does not necessarily make logical sense, but it does give certainty to the traveler as to who they must work with - the airline operating the segment that gets them to their destination.
Thanks, so what happens between immigration and customs at ORD? Do they just tell customs they have bags but it is not with them?

I presume a good first step is to find a airline desk to find out where the bags are first then tell customs?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: Delta, United
The airline will collect luggage at EWR and see the IRROP, clear the baggage, and send it on it way to ABC. Will probably be late as such will need to file a missing bag claim at ABC.

As for the PAX, ORD customs will not care, just pass through with carry-on. Probably will not be able to check on bags before customs unless they have an app.
TWA884, GUWonder and trooper like this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Traveler should confirm with Gate Agent before the transAtlantic flight if the bags are on that flight. That way you'll know to look to collect your bags at ORD or not.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: EuroBonus
I realise this is in the past now, but: How can you know FOR SURE that your bag did not make it to ORD without talking to an airline rep there to ensure all bags are out?

- DanishFlyer
(who had a bag delay last Christmas that lasted from Saturday through Thursday, because Christmas and many miles of roadtrip)
Old Jan 11, 2020, 9:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I have had airlines clear customs with my irregular baggage circumstances in the US and a collection of other countries. It’s not a reliable way to get around customs control, as US CBP and its foreign equivalents may still scan (and/or even open) the bags while in (or before being in) custody of the airline/handling agent before clearing them. Not always, but sometimes. In some places, this may even lead to the bag owners having to file paperwork and/or pay what money would be due for the imports that are returned to the owner of the bag subject to irregular handling.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by DanishFlyer
I realise this is in the past now, but: How can you know FOR SURE that your bag did not make it to ORD without talking to an airline rep there to ensure all bags are out?

- DanishFlyer
(who had a bag delay last Christmas that lasted from Saturday through Thursday, because Christmas and many miles of roadtrip)
There is no certain method to know that your bag was not loaded until all bags are out. While bags are theoretically scanned onto the aircraft and, presuming that your carrier makes this available on the app, you should be able to see this, the system is imperfect.

Bags which were not scanned do make it and thus, waiting for the last bag is really the only way to be certain unless the carrier affirmatively reaches out to let you know that your bag did not make it.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG -> MVP -> now nothing, DL SM, Global Entry
I just returned from a trip to Cabo Verde; due to the airport at Mindelo/Sao Vicente (VXE) being closed for four days due to dust storms I had to rebook my return into two different segments on different airlines: VXE-LIS-MAD; brief overnight layover in Madrid; MAD-CDG-SLC-SEA the following day. My bag did not make it to Madrid with me and I had to make a claim there. As I was not staying in Madrid long enough for the bag to catch up with me I filed a claim with the baggage handling company in Madrid (not the operating airline; in MAD this is outsourced). The process was relatively smooth; they took my forwarding information, provided me a tracking number, and confirmed via email.

Customs at SLC didn't stop me or really have any reason to - I just walked out with my carry-on. My bag arrived in Seattle two days after I did; surprisingly I was told by Delta baggage services at SEA that I needed to come to the airport to pick it up. TSA at the least had gone through it at JFK - the dreaded TSA note was in the bag - but no way to know if customs had done the same. Regardless, everything was in the bag when I picked it up. I had no items above the duty levels so there was no followup required and I just left the airport with my bag and headed home.

TAP certainly did not inform me via the app that the bag had not made it from LIS-MAD, but as TAP also couldn't be bothered to give us any status updates over our extra four days in Mindelo, I wasn't terribly surprised! As noted above it was a matter of waiting for the last bag to arrive to know mine hadn't made it.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I have had airlines clear customs with my irregular baggage circumstances in the US and a collection of other countries. It’s not a reliable way to get around customs control, as US CBP and its foreign equivalents may still scan (and/or even open) the bags while in (or before being in) custody of the airline/handling agent before clearing them. Not always, but sometimes. In some places, this may even lead to the bag owners having to file paperwork and/or pay what money would be due for the imports that are returned to the owner of the bag subject to irregular handling.
I've been told by airlines that unaccompanied bags into the US are always searched by customs before they are released to the airline. It's happened to me twice and both times the bad has clearly been pawed through.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
I've been told by airlines that unaccompanied bags into the US are always searched by customs before they are released to the airline. It's happened to me twice and both times the bad has clearly been pawed through.
The search can be a scan using machines, a search done by pawing through them by hand, both of those, or something else.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 8:11 pm

Entering the USA with a USA passport - bag doesn’t arrive with me.

I hope this is the right place to ask this - if not can a mod move it? Or suggest where it should go.

How long do I have wait until I can make the call that my bag wasn’t loaded at my international departure point? I have a fairly short layover (AMS-BOS-PIT) and I’d rather not have to go to a hotel overnight. Wasn’t like this when I booked the connection but whatever. I’m putting an AirTag in my bag. If that tells me it’s still in Amsterdam can I fill out a lost bag form immediately and exit customs or am I committed to staying there to the bitter end?

I’ve lost bags before but never in this situation.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by missionpa
I hope this is the right place to ask this - if not can a mod move it? Or suggest where it should go.

How long do I have wait until I can make the call that my bag wasn’t loaded at my international departure point? I have a fairly short layover (AMS-BOS-PIT) and I’d rather not have to go to a hotel overnight. Wasn’t like this when I booked the connection but whatever. I’m putting an AirTag in my bag. If that tells me it’s still in Amsterdam can I fill out a lost bag form immediately and exit customs or am I committed to staying there to the bitter end?

I’ve lost bags before but never in this situation.
Even if it’s not loaded on the plane at origination, you file a missing bag report at your destination.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 8:58 pm

Yes but how long do I have to wait is my question. Do I have to wait until no more bags are coming out, or can I file a missing report immediately? Generally if this was a domestic flight I’d be ok waiting until it was certain it wasn’t coming out. On an international flight where I have to clear customs I’d like to know the procedure since the “lost” bag will have to clear customs without me. And I don’t want to miss my connection.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by missionpa
Yes but how long do I have to wait is my question. Do I have to wait until no more bags are coming out, or can I file a missing report immediately?
You can file it immediately, especially if you have the option to file online.

If you need to file with an agent at a counter, said agent may not be impressed with what your AirTag is saying and may insist that you needlessly wait until the last bag has arrived. Therefore, I recommend not mentioning the AirTag; just say that your bag didn't arrive.
missionpa likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.