UE Boom speaker in checked bag??

Old Nov 27, 19, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs
Question UE Boom speaker in checked bag??

This may be the wrong forum, but question about this. We usually travel with our UE Boom for a small, but great speaker. But it has a non removable battery. Any experience with putting that in checked baggage (for a trip to France tomorrow)? Obviously not the end of the world but we like it enough that we don't want to have it confiscated.
Old Nov 27, 19, 8:05 pm

I wouldn't chance it. It has a lithium battery which are prohibited from being in checked bags.
Old Nov 27, 19, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic View Post
I wouldn't chance it. It has a lithium battery which are prohibited from being in checked bags.

Thanks. For some wishful thinking kind of logic I was hoping it would be too small or embedded in the device that would matter. No room in carry on for this trip, but clearly the place it needs to be, if at all! Appreciate input.
Old Nov 28, 19, 12:40 am

Lithium batteries (subject to size limits) that are installed in devices are NOT prohibited in checked luggage. The speaker is fine.

TSA source: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...or-less-device

Official (FAA) source: https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/more_info/?hazmat=7

100Wh is a HUGE battery by electronic device standards--a 'normal' laptop battery is less than half that size; even a cordless Dyson vacuum cleaner battery is well within the limits.
nancypants and mstraveler like this.
Old Nov 28, 19, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
Lithium batteries (subject to size limits) that are installed in devices are NOT prohibited in checked luggage. The speaker is fine.

TSA source: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...or-less-device

Official (FAA) source: https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/more_info/?hazmat=7

100Wh is a HUGE battery by electronic device standards--a 'normal' laptop battery is less than half that size; even a cordless Dyson vacuum cleaner battery is well within the limits.
THANK YOU! Really good to know and thanks for the links. That is exactly what I was hoping that something built in would qualify.
Old Dec 2, 19, 3:46 pm

Please, for the safety of everyone on-board, keep anything with lithium batteries inside the cabin where battery malfunctions can be handled in-flight by flight-crew. Cargo hold fires have brought down many aircraft over the years.

Also keep in mind that checked luggage is more likely to be pilfered from than checked items.
mstraveler likes this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 2:20 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA Plat / DL & HH Diamond
As this is a topic that has appeared in the Travel Safety forum of Flyertalk, we'll move it there for proper indexing.
Old Dec 3, 19, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't be scared off. The battery in your device is way below the limits set by FAA and enforced by TSA. I wouldn't put valuables in checked luggage, but only you can determine the risk vs. hassle factor when it comes to your particular speaker.
Old Dec 5, 19, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Don't be scared off. The battery in your device is way below the limits set by FAA and enforced by TSA. I wouldn't put valuables in checked luggage, but only you can determine the risk vs. hassle factor when it comes to your particular speaker.
Thanks Often1. I figured that if the FAA/TSA allowed it it must be safe enough. Now, as to pilfering, that is a different matter. I don't consider this a high value item,<redacted by moderator>.

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 5, 19 at 2:13 pm Reason: Opinion/commentary which belongs in the Policy Debate forum, not practical travel security/safety advice/information

Search this Thread
Search Engine: