FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Traveling with liquids while on a soft food diet (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1994511-traveling-liquids-while-soft-food-diet.html)

Buster Nov 7, 19 3:35 pm

Traveling with liquids while on a soft food diet

Hi everyone...this is a bit of a weird one, but I'm traveling next weekend and I need to find a way to travel with food I can eat. I'm currently on a soft food diet due to a fractured jaw. It won't be a problem at my destination, but both my outbound and return flights are during meal times, so I'd like to be able to bring some applesauce, baby food, etc. that I can eat on the plane for my meals. I'm concerned about relying on buying stuff at the airport, but I don't think I can bring those items generally.

Can I bring them with a doctor's note? Is there any way around the liquid restriction if there's medical necessity?

Thanks!

Often1 Nov 7, 19 4:38 pm

TSA covers this on its website. The key is that what you are carrying is "medically necessary." That is established by the letter. Make certain that it is a letter on your doc's stationery and that it uses the words, "medically necessary" and describes specifically what is meant, e.g. apple sauce, baby food, and whatever.

Do not sweat this. Many, many people are on a soft food diet for all manner of reasons.

"Inform the TSA officer that you have medically necessary liquids and/or medications and separate them from other belongings before screening begins. Also declare accessories associated with your liquid medication such as freezer packs, IV bags, pumps and syringes. Labeling these items can help facilitate the screening process.

3-1-1 Liquids Rule Exemption

TSA allows larger amounts of medically necessary liquids, gels, and aerosols in reasonable quantities for your trip, but you must declare them to TSA officers at the checkpoint for inspection.

Remove them from your carry-on bag to be screened separately from the rest of your belongings. You are not required to place your liquid medication in a plastic zip-top bag. If a liquid, gel, or aerosol declared as medically necessary alarms, then it may require additional screening and may not be allowed."

nancypants Nov 7, 19 4:45 pm

You can also consider packing something like protein shakes in powder form as a back up in case you get someone over zealous

Loren Pechtel Nov 7, 19 10:06 pm

Doctor's note. I've traveled with purely liquid food before multiple times. It's never been a problem with TSA (I bring some of it unmixed also, the labels look more like what you would get from a pharmacy than from a grocery store) although once it got a full grope. (While it would be technically possible to have mixed my stuff on the airplane the result tasted a lot worse than if I mixed it the way I had learned was best.)

Buster Nov 8, 19 7:57 am

Thanks everyone! It didn't occur to me to get a doctor's note (this is sadly all new to me), but I'll go do that. I feel better that hopefully this isn't going to be a big deal!

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31712950)
You can also consider packing something like protein shakes in powder form as a back up in case you get someone over zealous

This is a great idea, thank you. I definitely should be able to get some milk at the airport...

WillCAD Nov 10, 19 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Buster (Post 31714872)
Thanks everyone! It didn't occur to me to get a doctor's note (this is sadly all new to me), but I'll go do that. I feel better that hopefully this isn't going to be a big deal!

This is a great idea, thank you. I definitely should be able to get some milk at the airport...

Although this shouldn't be a problem, sometimes is a problem anyway. Liquids, gels, and aerosols are restricted, but powdered items also tend to attract increased TSO scrutiny.

Be aware of the possibility that a TSO may exercise their discretion to either disallow your items despite the doctor's note, or they may send the items for enhanced screening of some kind (perhaps even going so far as to insist on opening the sealed containers), or that they may insist that all of your possessions undergo extensive hand inspection and individual ETD swabs, and/or that they may insist that you yourself be sent for extensive screening (i.e. a full pat-down).

No matter what, this situation is slightly out of the ordinary, which tends to throw checkpoint TSOs into a state of confusion and uncertainty, and may cause you additional hassles and/or delays. I would recommend adding at least another 30 minutes to your schedule to deal with any potential issues. If nothing happens and you sail on through the c/p without delay, you'll have that much more time to put yourself back together, find the milk you need to mix your shakes, and relax before boarding. If something does happen to delay you, the extra time will ensure that you make your boarding call without having to do an OJ run through the terminal.