What's the Current TSA Policy on Powder?

Old Sep 29, 19, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What's the Current TSA Policy on Powder?

We are flying next month and I will be carrying on 30+ small jars each containing a bit over an ounce of powder. (Medical supplies, going without for a few days isn't an issue, if they didn't show up at all it would mean aborting the trip so I don't want to check them.) They are completely unlabeled--I have repacked it into daily amounts as it behaves badly in a humid climate. Nothing prescription involved.
Old Oct 2, 19, 11:08 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I would recommend taking a larger, labeled container, and then repacking at your destination, because so many small containers of unlabeled powder might be suspicious. If you have already repacked them, then perhaps keep the original container to show as evidence that they are medical. It's hard to predict what will happen, but if you have some sort of evidence of what the powder is, I think you should be fine.
KenTarmac likes this.
Old Oct 3, 19, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
What kind of powder are we talking about? Medical supplie without label?

FWIW - if domestic, mail it. Otherwise, skip it.
Old Oct 3, 19, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess you could call TSA and try to find out how this will be handled. Call or email TSA Cares and see what they can offer. TSA Cares
Old Oct 4, 19, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42 View Post
I would recommend taking a larger, labeled container, and then repacking at your destination, because so many small containers of unlabeled powder might be suspicious. If you have already repacked them, then perhaps keep the original container to show as evidence that they are medical. It's hard to predict what will happen, but if you have some sort of evidence of what the powder is, I think you should be fine.
I am planning on taking one of the empty cans.

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
What kind of powder are we talking about? Medical supplie without label?

FWIW - if domestic, mail it. Otherwise, skip it.
International, and skipping it is not an option.
Old Oct 4, 19, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
No offense, OP, you are really asking for trouble.

Not with TSA, still with the country you will be arriving.
Old Oct 8, 19, 12:30 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PALT
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
We are flying next month and I will be carrying on 30+ small jars each containing a bit over an ounce of powder. (Medical supplies, going without for a few days isn't an issue, if they didn't show up at all it would mean aborting the trip so I don't want to check them.) They are completely unlabeled--I have repacked it into daily amounts as it behaves badly in a humid climate. Nothing prescription involved.
I highly suggest just UPS'ing the jars with powder over. White powder in jars tend to raise questions.
Old Yesterday, 2:01 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
TSA Powder post

There are some specific rules pertaining to the sizes, and if it is a larger container (read that to be 8 oz or larger), then it will most likely undergo additional screening. If the item alarms, it becomes a completely different situation. TSA recommends that you pack it in the checked baggage (if that is an option). So, maybe a combination of effort will give you a good result? Take a couple of smaller containers (4-5 oz) with you in your carry on, and put the larger one in checked baggage? It will all depend on your level of comfort with checking the item.

Search this Thread