Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using PIV card to clear TSA checkpoint

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Using PIV card to clear TSA checkpoint

Anyone here have any experience using a PIV card to clear a TSA checkpoint at an airport? It's on their list of acceptable ID but just wondering if practical experience is different given that few are probably ever used at a checkpoint.

I guess theoretically the TSOs should be familiar with them given that they're all issued one as their work ID, but you never know and they look slightly different agency to agency.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:59 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Here is an FTer's experience which was reported in the Acceptable Identification for Domestic Travel [Consolidated Thread]:

Originally Posted by chrisl137
I usually use a PIV-II card and it confuses them about 10% of the time, even though it's the same badge they have, just a different agency. I use it because a) it makes a noise when it falls on the floor, so I'm more likely to notice it, and b) I often need to have it to work at my destination, so I know that I have it. I've dropped my DL and nearly lost it enough times because it's thin and lightweight that I try to avoid using it at the checkpoints.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've started having one other issue recently - the UV stamp on the surface can wear off and then they don't like it at TSA. Our badge readers (or cards) are very short range and I have to use a badge holder that has no front surface, so the front face of the badge is exposed to more wear. One TSA agent mentioned that they see more worn off coatings from the agency mine is issued through than others, so it may have to do with card vendor, too. The UV coating on mine seems worn after about 2.5 years.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by danib62
Anyone here have any experience using a PIV card to clear a TSA checkpoint at an airport? It's on their list of acceptable ID but just wondering if practical experience is different given that few are probably ever used at a checkpoint.
I used PIV even before TSA placed it on the list.

AFAICT - even there is a standard design, each agency's PIV is different. So it all depends on the TSO.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisl137
I've started having one other issue recently - the UV stamp on the surface can wear off and then they don't like it at TSA. Our badge readers (or cards) are very short range and I have to use a badge holder that has no front surface, so the front face of the badge is exposed to more wear. One TSA agent mentioned that they see more worn off coatings from the agency mine is issued through than others, so it may have to do with card vendor, too. The UV coating on mine seems worn after about 2.5 years.
I can definitely see that being an issue. My current one is only a year old and is already pretty worn down due to the fact that I'm constantly taking it in and out of it's holder in order to log onto my work computer.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can definitely see that being an issue. My current one is only a year old and is already pretty worn down due to the fact that I'm constantly taking it in and out of it's holder in order to log onto my work computer.
My first one was fine, but it was always in a holder and we had fewer RFID readers so it stayed there. This is my second one.

Most of the interagency variation I've seen is the color combinations and agency logo. I thought the basic layout and design was fixed by the rules for the badge.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

So RFID isn't an issue, I have a fancy pants holder
(like this one) (like this one)
they gave me that normally blocks RFID but allows you to unblock it without taking the card out to make tapping easier. The issue is in order to login to my computer I need to take it out and slide it into a chip reader. That seems to add a lot of wear.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold

I guess theoretically the TSOs should be familiar with them given that they're all issued one as their work ID, but you never know and they look slightly different agency to agency.
I've used my PIV card at many many airports, both small and large, across the US, and can't recall a single issue of non-acceptance in the past few years. However I have always been told to remove it from the badge holder, be it an RFID-blocker, or a simple plastic sleeve.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

One issue with using my PIV to clear TSA came up today. At BOS this afternoon they were using the ID scanner machines that find your flight info. Apparently the new machines don’t recognize PIVs yet and the TSO asked me for an alternative ID. I gave him my drivers license since I didn’t feel like pressing my luck.
_kurt likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Apparently the new machines don’t recognize PIVs yet and the TSO asked me for an alternative ID.
One of the problems with recognition is card design variations. Specifically, not all agencies using all fields. So to an ID scanner, PIVs are not really standardized, unlike other forms of IDs.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:37 am
Original Poster

True not all agencies use all fields but what fields you can use and the layout is standardized so it should be able to pull your name and expiration date regardless of what other fields are or aren’t present.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True not all agencies use all fields but what fields you can use and the layout is standardized so it should be able to pull your name and expiration date regardless of what other fields are or aren’t present.
AFAICT - ID scanner is not as smart as you think. So even with standardized layout, use or non-use of a field can be seen as totally different.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Encountered the scanners at BOS terminal A this weekend. Gave the TSO my PIV card. He tried to use it but the machine wouldn't recognize it. Ended up using my drivers license.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.