FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   PDF version of blue 6059B Customs Declaration - Any Practical Experience? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1984782-pdf-version-blue-6059b-customs-declaration-any-practical-experience.html)

Geordie405 Aug 27, 2019 5:21 pm

PDF version of blue 6059B Customs Declaration - Any Practical Experience?

Has anyone had any practical experience of using the online PDF version of the blue 6059B Customs Declaration form when entering the US?

I appreciate that the blue forms are in the process of being phased out and that you don't need them if you're using GE or APC but, in my case, I will probably still need to submit one when I arrive back into the US next week, flying into Las Vegas. Although I have GE my fiancée doesn't, and although we could both use the APC kiosks they are at the far end of the immigration hall. There's rarely anyone ahead of us (or, if so, only one or two people) in the US Citizens line so it makes no sense to use a machine when you can see a CBP officer without having to wait.

Given that most airlines no longer hand out the forms I would prefer to fill in the electronic PDF version and print that out. The CBP website says it can be presented as the customs declaration but I was curious if anyone has any practical experience (good or bad) of using it?

Thanks!

freeagent Aug 27, 2019 6:29 pm

According to CBP its possible:

Form 6059B Customs Declaration in English and Fillable. This form can be now be filled out prior to or during your travel and be filled out by typing (instead of hand written) and then printed and taken with you as your official Customs Declaration.
https://www.cbp.gov/document/forms/f...glish-fillable

Geordie405 Aug 28, 2019 9:40 am

Originally Posted by freeagent (Post 31463887)

Thanks. Yes, I am aware of what CBP says but I was wondering if anyone had any real world experience of CBP's reaction when presented with the form? Was it a case of "Thanks! Welcome to America" or was it a case of "What the <redacted> is this? Go to the back of the line and fill in a "proper" form!"

drewguy Aug 28, 2019 2:44 pm

If airlines don't hand out the form, that's typically because one isn't necessary at that port of entry.

But I have no experience with the pdf version.

Geordie405 Sep 9, 2019 3:21 pm

So I thought I would follow up on my own post with what happened on arrival at Las Vegas yesterday evening. I had spoken with CBP prior to departure from IAH (Houston) and the officer I spoke with said that for most airports the form was no longer required and everything was processed electronically.

However, for Las Vegas that is a port of entry where the declaration is still required to be completed (either electronically via GE or APC or via the paper form). Insufficient forms were loaded on the plane and passengers were informed that if they needed one then they should fill it in when they got to the immigration hall.

I had completed and printed the electronic PDF copy ahead of time and only needed to complete the value field and sign the form. There was absolutely no issue at all with the PDF copy. The CBP officer didn't question it and I was processed and on my way in moments. Equally the second officer in the baggage reclaim hall didn't query it either.

So, based on a sample size of one, it wasn't a problem. Hope that helps someone else with a similar question.

SDQBound Sep 11, 2019 3:20 pm

I tried using it at ATL before they discontinued their use. I was given a blank one and a pen to fill it out manually.