Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

CBP at pre-clearance says you can't carry the apple in to the US?

CBP at pre-clearance says you can't carry the apple in to the US?

Old Aug 28, 19, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Unprocessed plant matter tend to be the most controlled of all products because they can carry a wide variety of diseases and pests, which may be quite damaging to local ag (my mother is an entomologist who deals with invasive pests in Calfiornia and it is a constant battle). As a result, you should pretty much assume that any unprocessed fruits or vegetables are going to be prohibited.
Note that Canadian products are actually far less restricted. Certain meat and plants are allowed, including apples during certain months, but the burden is on you to prove it is of Canadian origin. You can't import an apple from say New Zealand via Canada. When you cut it up and likely removed the origin sticker, you made it impossible to prove this. Please note that all of these products must be declared, even if admissible as they are subject to inspection. Note however, that state restrictions can apply and it is illegal to import certain items to, say California, which may be just fine in Arizona.
Every time I go to Nova Scotia, I import some Brother's Pepperoni, which is perfectly fine but I have to declare it. Thankfully, Halifax customs knows exactly what that is and doesn't hassle me, but i always bring my receipts and such.

FWIW, I am white as hell, but get hassled at every border crossing because my US passport was stolen 30 years ago when I was 5.

edit: If you ever want to know ahead of time, here's the manuals on admissibility: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/our...tronic-manuals
84fiero and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart View Post
In your second sentence, I think you meant fresh fruits are almost always NOT allowed?
Oops. Fixed.
Old Aug 28, 19, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The US, along with most countries, has limited the import of certain products for over 100 years. So, this is not only not new, but it is old.

Simply put, the CBP Officer was correct. Others have posted the links to what may properly be imported, but the key is that the Declaration (whether written or electronic) asks about "food" without limitation. Thus, if you have any "food" you must answer "yes". The next inquiry is whether specific food may be imported.

For what it is worth, importing food without declaring it, even if it is OK to import, will almost certainly result in the revocation of GE. It can also result in the imposition of up to a $11,000 fine (not generally that high).
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 4:46 pm

A key here is that with "normal" customs on arrival, you can bring snacks, including fruits, to eat on the plane and discard legally before reaching immigration/customs. There are presumably approved methods for disposing of the trash from inbound planes and the cans in the arrival area to prevent spreading pests. But with pre-clearance, you will enter at a regular domestic gate, with no special trash disposal way to ensure you dumped anything inadmissible anyway. So you inherently can't bring such products on the plane (but can purchase them after pre-clearance if available, with no need to further declare); the customs agent was correct to prohibit the cut-up apples, and as others have said this is nothing new.
Old Sep 2, 19, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sherab Sherab View Post
I bring foods such as spices, flours, snacks like dry fruits and never been asked to throw away or seized at airport arrival by CBP except for those that has labels showing meat or seeds like a packaged noodle. And many Asians and south asians bring these when they return to the US after a visit to their home country.

This is why it baffled me when my my wife was not allowed to carry some cut pieces of apply in a small zip lock bag at pre clearance at YYZ. She replied she is from the States and was in Canada for few days to meet relatives. An apple from Canada is not safe?
Anyway we now know fruit is not allowed, strange yeah but it is good to know.
What's actually going on here: CBP doesn't actually give a hoot about fruit. The actual issue is what might be coming along with that fruit. That's why dried fruit is treated differently than fresh fruit--the dried stuff generally isn't going to be carrying pests. Anything that could be carrying a pest or disease that we don't already have in the US is prohibited. They have huge lists of such materials, whether it's allowed or not, which can be conditional based on where it's from and even some other factors.

Search this Thread