Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Traveling with carry on inline skates; pre-alert person handling the queue?

Old Aug 15, 19, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

metal inline skate frames that hold the wheels are usually okay but some skaters report a rare issue at the airport. One poster wrote about this tactic for pre-notifying one of the security screeners managing the queue:
Repeatedly ask the people working the queue if its ok, don't assume other peoples lack of a problem means you will be fine.

This way, if someone has a problem with it, they'll ask a colleague before you get to the bit where they turn you away, and likely find out it's fine. Whereas if someone has a problem with it at the point you have your bag xrayed, your pretty much ....ed, they will back each other up regardless of policy.

Also, make sure you have time to do something about it if they do turn you away.

TRUST ME, I have missed a flight because of quad skates in my hand luggage, and yes, I also know lots of people who have had no problems doing exactly the same thing.
Do you guys believe this would indeed give them time to do a rule check and verify that it's okay (it normally is). Or do you think this will just cause problems that may not have been there otherwise?
Old Aug 15, 19, 4:17 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to TS/S where I hope it makes more sense.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Aug 16, 19, 10:24 am

Programs: Status? What's status?
Per TSA skates are allowed in carry-on bags, but of course something large and metal might trigger additional screening. In my experience, if you're carrying something that is likely to cause them to pull your bag for additional screening you can save some time and possibly the extra screening by just pulling it out and running it through the x-ray separately. I occasionally need to travel with large packets of printed materials which on the x-ray appear as basically a blackhole of nothing which will almost always trigger additional screening. Iíve gotten in the habit of pulling out the printed materials and running them through separately, and every time the screeners working the x-ray recognize what Iím doing and have never had to do additional screenings of my bags or the printed materials.

Last edited by lmsalman; Aug 16, 19 at 10:26 am Reason: additional info
Old Aug 19, 19, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by lmsalman View Post
. I occasionally need to travel with large packets of printed materials which on the x-ray appear as basically a blackhole of nothing which will almost always trigger additional screening. Iíve gotten in the habit of pulling out the printed materials and running them through separately, and every time the screeners working the x-ray recognize what Iím doing and have never had to do additional screenings of my bags or the printed materials.
This is a great idea. Can you pull the skates out, place them in a separate bin for screening? This way they're out and visible.
When I travel with riding gear everything goes into a bin separately, just in case, including the gloves.

Search this Thread