Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

What to expect from Customs when bringing back a $5,000 watch?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)

[Apologies if this is the wrong forum. If so, mods, please move.]

Travel companion wants to buy a Cartier watch while in Europe. All will be in order. Everything will be declared.

Based upon your recent experience, how likely is Customs to charge duty on this watch? If they do, what is the rate?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:12 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Duty is 3%

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
[Apologies if this is the wrong forum. If so, mods, please move.]

Travel companion wants to buy a Cartier watch while in Europe. All will be in order. Everything will be declared.

Based upon your recent experience, how likely is Customs to charge duty on this watch? If they do, what is the rate?
Is your question whether Customs will figure out but it’s a very expensive watch? I would assume they would. I certainly wouldn’t try to get out of paying duty on it.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by squeakr

Is your question whether Customs will figure out but it’s a very expensive watch? I would assume they would. I certainly wouldn’t try to get out of paying duty on it.
No, not at all. I am quite willing to pay whatever duty is assessed.

When I got backed from France in April, I was $800 over my exemption and they asked me for nothing. My questions come down to things:

1. Is there any possibility that Customs would let you "skate" on a $5,000 watch?

2. If not, how much will the duty be?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
No, not at all. I am quite willing to pay whatever duty is assessed.

When I got backed from France in April, I was $800 over my exemption and they asked me for nothing. My questions come down to things:

1. Is there any possibility that Customs would let you "skate" on a $5,000 watch?

2. If not, how much will the duty be?
So, I think the officers have pretty broad discretion.
(anecdotal data point)
Three years ago, I bought my wife $4500 worth of diamond jewelry in Amsterdam for her birthday and declared at full value. The conversation went like
Officer: That's pretty expensive jewelry.
Me: Wife's birthday
He looks at her passport and says Oh, I see. Special one. Welcome home, and happy birthday.

I don't know what the rate would have been, but I had brought my checkbook because I read somewhere that not all POE's will take CC for duty.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA
I was informally told by a customs agent that they use their discretion up to $1000 over.

When I have returned with over that amount my receipts have been examined — but what I brought in was not subject to duties so it was an administrative process with nothing payable.

Duties are complicated because of classification —for watches it has to do with precious metals, movement etc.

There are online duty calculators —but now sure how accurate they are.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 4:46 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I will never be in the postion of affording a $5000 watch, but couldn't your traveling companion simply wear the watch? I understand the ethical need to pay duty on alcohol, tobacco and other products, but this is something you wear. It's not a consumable product. Should duty be payable on what is simply an accessory? Just askin'
Old Aug 10, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: BA
As an accessory, why not just put it on? Put the box in your checked luggage and leave it at that
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by ard9719
As an accessory, why not just put it on? Put the box in your checked luggage and leave it at that
Firstly, the OP came here for advice on what the requirements are, not on how to cheat the system. Secondly, if you plan to break the law (which the OP didn't ask about and I'd advise against), you should at least be smart enough not to have the box (or receipts) with you when you cross the border. Saving a few dollars in duty is not worth the risk of them finding that empty box on a random bag search and figuring out that you lied about it.

Originally Posted by 1P
I will never be in the postion of affording a $5000 watch, but couldn't your traveling companion simply wear the watch? I understand the ethical need to pay duty on alcohol, tobacco and other products, but this is something you wear. It's not a consumable product. Should duty be payable on what is simply an accessory? Just askin'
It's not an ethical duty, it's a legal duty - with consequences for non-compliance. Plus, I don't really understand why you make an ethical distinction between paying duty on some products and not others.

Last edited by Low Roller; Aug 10, 2019 at 5:56 am
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:49 am

From within Europe you shouldn't need to pay duty anyway - From the GOV website

You do not pay duty or tax on goods you bring in from the European Union(EU) as long as you:
  • transport them yourself
  • will use them yourself or give them away as a gift
  • have paid duty and tax in the country where you bought them
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Are those the rules for within Europe (you don't say which government website)? If so, I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about bringing the watch from Europe to the US, so US customs rules would apply.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:23 am

Tax refund

Don't forget you will be able to claim the 20% VAT back as you leave Europe if you buy from a reputable source
Yoshi212 and rickg523 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Low Roller
Are those the rules for within Europe (you don't say which government website)? If so, I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about bringing the watch from Europe to the US, so US customs rules would apply.
My apologies - i thought it was going to AMS not out!
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Paying the duty

I have brought back and paid the duty on a $5000 watch. After all of the calculations done by the Custom’s officer, the final cost was about 1/2% extra.
I felt that given the discount I received at the time of the sale payment of what would be a very low sales tax was still a really good deal.
The total duty was around $30.

Am I really going to try and cheat the system for that amount of money?
estnet, Boraxo, TWA884 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: Delta, United
I have imported a fair number things into the US. The harmonized tariff schedule is on line: https://hts.usitc.gov. Do a search under wrist watch and you should get to the heading for 9101. From there you will need to figure out the correct sub-heading and Stat. Suffix. But my initial read would that one could expect to pay 3.1% of the value. If they know exactly which watch they will be buying one can call the customs office and ask for a specific reading. They are quite helpful. I do this to verify duty and then print the appropriate pages for the goods. This helps whether the item is being shipped or hand carried into the US. because the customs office has the duty right there in front of them. This is especially helpful when there is no duty.

Of course given they are bringing the item in themselves, I would declare it, but then let the Customs office decide if they want to collect the duty. I.e. have the duty paper work ready to verify the correct duty is being applied (i.e. Customs may charge less or nothing). Also when declaring the item make sure one writes down the value - not the price paid as that would include the VAT. Finally make sure when leaving the country there is time to find and wait in line to have the VAT paper work stamped at the airport.
Landing Gear and TommiiBoii like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Apart from any duty which might be owed, the OP should be aware that, if he resides in a state with a sales tax, he might owe a compensating use tax in an amount equal to the sales tax. U.S. Customs will make customs declarations available to state tax authorities:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...imported-goods

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.