Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

What to expect from Customs when bringing back a $5,000 watch?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to expect from Customs when bringing back a $5,000 watch?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by 1P
I will never be in the postion of affording a $5000 watch, but couldn't your traveling companion simply wear the watch? I understand the ethical need to pay duty on alcohol, tobacco and other products, but this is something you wear. It's not a consumable product. Should duty be payable on what is simply an accessory? Just askin'
Why is there an ethical need to pay duty on alcohol tobacco
and other products but no ethical need for something that is worn?

Should duty not be paid on a $50,000 diamond necklace or $30,000 handbag?

Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:28 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
I have always had good experiences (this is with Canadian customs) declaring everything when I am over the duty allowances. They always let go a few items and charge HST (Canada harmonized sales tax) on the lowest amounts, can't remember last time I had to pay a duty.

I also go by instantly (no NEXUS) whenever I do not declare anything, must say threat level=0 or something in my file. I like to think the two are related.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Low Roller
Firstly, the OP came here for advice on what the requirements are, not on how to cheat the system. Secondly, if you plan to break the law (which the OP didn't ask about and I'd advise against), you should at least be smart enough not to have the box (or receipts) with you when you cross the border. Saving a few dollars in duty is not worth the risk of them finding that empty box on a random bag search and figuring out that you lied about it.

It's not an ethical duty, it's a legal duty - with consequences for non-compliance. Plus, I don't really understand why you make an ethical distinction between paying duty on some products and not others.
And why are we seeing this kind of advice addressed to an OP who made it clear he is going to declare everything?

Here:

https://quillandpad.com/2019/05/17/y...oid-the-worst/

They speak very strongly against wearing the watch into the country but not declaring it and they say that customs people know what watches come from where. They also give some information about customs rates, which might be useful to the OP, but that question appears to have been answered above. The imprecations against trying to cheat may be of general interest to the OP but no more than that.
Landing Gear likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Before buying a watch overseas, someone who travels a lot should be aware that items acquired abroad must be declared *each time* they enter the USA. This would be a big nuisance if one plans to take the watch on trips.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:33 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
And why are we seeing this kind of advice addressed to an OP who made it clear he is going to declare everything?
^

Let me just add in my role as a moderator that promoting illegal activity is against the FlyerTalk Rules.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
kimberlyrose and Often1 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Before buying a watch overseas, someone who travels a lot should be aware that items acquired abroad must be declared *each time* they enter the USA. This would be a big nuisance if one plans to take the watch on trips.
Not necessarily. We use carnets for temporary exports, I am willing to bet there is something similar for this situation.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Items acquired abroad which are subsequently taken out of the U.S. on a trip can be registered with CBP before departing the U S., as long as the items have a serial number. (Expensive watches should.)

Details, and a link to the registration form, here:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ring%20jewelry
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by guv1976
Items acquired abroad which are subsequently taken out of the U.S. on a trip can be registered with CBP before departing the U S., as long as the items have a serial number. (Expensive watches should.)

Details, and a link to the registration form, here:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ring%20jewelry
Yes, but my point is that this is a nuisance.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:47 am

Wait, really? So, for example, if I purchase a scarf in France and bring it home to the US (declaring it and paying no duty since it's not an $800+ scarf), and I pack the scarf on another international trip and then return to the US, I have to declare it on my form? I always thought it was just those items that have been acquired on that particular trip.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:57 am

I've purchased 2 watches overseas over the years (~$3000 and ~$4000). Each time I got an X on my GE printout after answering the questions, and was taken to the secondary screening waiting room. The CBP officer had a little harmonized tariff cheat sheet, and quickly assessed duty of less than $100 for each watch if I remember correctly. There was a little cashier booth near the exit of the customs area (JFK T4) where I paid with a credit card.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:02 am

I do not think this is correct. One must declare every item that did not leave with them.

I wear a ring purchased in Italy over a decade ago and it was properly declared. I have not declared it since as it was on my finger when I left — same with the wool coat from Italy or the Barbour jacket from the UK.
Landing Gear likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ard9719
As an accessory, why not just put it on? Put the box in your checked luggage and leave it at that
This is incredibly poor advice and hopefully will be ignored, not only by OP but by others.

Presuming that we are talking about the US, plain and simple, the watch must be declared. The duty payable is dependent on both the country from which the watch is imported and the country is manufactured. This can all be calculated in advance. Alternatively, one can use one's personal allowance and then pay 3% on the balance. That amounts to roughly $125.

It is sometimes the case that when properly declared and the receipts made readily available on request, some or all of the duty may be waived.

Not declaring the item, if caught, could mean:
1. Forfeiture of the item to the US government.
2 Duty of 300% of the standard amount, e.g. $375.
3. A penalty of up to $11,000.
Also, potentially a misdemeanor crime, but rarely enforced,
Finally, pulling such a stunt typically winds one on a watch list making future entries a hassle for a period of time.

Even if one happens to be the type of who weights these things, which OP is not as he made it clear that he wishes to obey the law, this is a silly place to violate the law.

As to future entries with the item, registering it with CBP is a one-time affair. I have the form with my other documents for several items and have never been asked for any of them. But, other than the one-time minor hassle, if I were asked, it would be a 30-second issue to locate and produce my forms.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by andrewesque
Wait, really? So, for example, if I purchase a scarf in France and bring it home to the US (declaring it and paying no duty since it's not an $800+ scarf), and I pack the scarf on another international trip and then return to the US, I have to declare it on my form? I always thought it was just those items that have been acquired on that particular trip.
My understanding is the same as yours — one declares items that did not leave with them. I have bought and declared numerous clothing and jewelry items and do not declare them in subsequent trips as these are items that left the US with me and are returning with me.

One can register high value items with serial numbers to avoid an issue with return.
Boraxo and Landing Gear like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:34 am

A cautionary tale regarding UK customs, which may or may not be relevant to the US:

A former work colleague bought an expensive camera in the US, at a price somewhat below the UK price for the same model. He brought it into the UK and had no problems carrying it through customs without declaring it. On his next trip to the US he took the camera with him, confident that having used it at home he would have no future problem at customs. However, on returning to the UK he was stopped and questioned about the camera. The officer deduced from the serial number that the camera had been bought in the US, and that since my friend had no evidence that he had paid UK duty on it, treated it as a smuggled item and confiscated it. My friend was eventually able to buy it back, for less than the UK retail price but considerably more than the duty he should have paid in the first place.

If you are going to take an expensive item bought overseas out of the country again, then get a receipt that identifies the item and carry it abroad with you.
Loren Pechtel and jerseytom like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Yes, but my point is that this is a nuisance.
Why? Wouldn't a single registration cover all future departures from the U.S.? Or are you saying that a separate registration has to be completed before every departure?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.