Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Prescribed Medications

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2016, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by bbtrvl
Interestingly, TSA seems to have responded almost directly to your original post:
Except.1) they weren't confiscated under medical rules and 2) TSA's website says that the screener has the final say. The screener who found mine said 'no'.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bbtrvl
Interestingly, TSA seems to have responded almost directly to your original post:
A TSA Blog post means nothing at a TSA Checkpoint. TSA's own tool, "When I Fly Can I Bring" does't answer if medical nitro is allowed or not but only responds to larger quantities of LGA's.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jun 28, 2016 at 2:26 pm
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
What about declaring Rx meds to US customs? Is it expected?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Bartolo
What about declaring Rx meds to US customs? Is it expected?
Short answer - no. But read on:

Background information on medications here:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-as-needles-or

So, you should check your medications to be sure they are allowed in the US and make appropriate arrangements if they are not allowed.

Customs specific answers can be found here:

Note that it does not state medications must be declared and it is not expected. But, be sure to have the medications in original labeled containers and copies of the prescriptions from the doctor, especially if bringing narcotics. The quantity needs to be (a) consistent with personal use and (b) appropriate for the anticipated length of stay.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by Section 107
Short answer - no. But read on:

Background information on medications here:

So, you should check your medications to be sure they are allowed in the US and make appropriate arrangements if they are not allowed.

Customs specific answers can be found here:

Note that it does not state medications must be declared and it is not expected. But, be sure to have the medications in original labeled containers and copies of the prescriptions from the doctor, especially if bringing narcotics. The quantity needs to be (a) consistent with personal use and (b) appropriate for the anticipated length of stay.
Thanks!
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:51 am

Can I take pills in my hand luggage

Hi
I am flying to New York tomorrow with BA, then later in the trip will fly to Niagara Falls with Southwest airlines

Can I take my seizure tablets in my hand luggage, I do have a consultant note from 2 years ago saying I will need to go on these pills, is this enough evidence?

I don't want to put them in my suitcase in case it goes missing

any help appreciated
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
I reckon that should be fine, especially if the tablets are labeled and you have a doctor's note.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hurnik
So first time using "GE", but it was through DFW. The GE line was closed and we were directed to regular line. We got flagged (maybe me, not sure but we were in a group of 2) for secondary inspection. C #2 was all I could see on the sheet. Anyway, they x-rayed our two checked bags and 2 carryons. Officer noticed I had pills in my carryon so I had to dig them out and show prescriptions. One of the labels had fallen off (the pharmacy one as they can't cover up the drug information) so I had to dig up my CVS pharmacy app to show the prescription (not a controlled substance, it was Zolft/sertraline). And then sent us on our way. He said I needed to make sure I had the prescription label next time (sorry don't know where it fell off during the trip, it was there when started).

So not sure what C #2 means, or what impact, if any, it'll be on future trips. Unfortunately this probably caused us to miss our flight (not really sure because by the time American got our bags onto the carousel, the flight was already boarding, and we still hadn't cleared TSA and made it to the other concourse).
is this an issue only for prescription medications? What about vitamins and OTC pills like Advil? I often consolidate different vitamins into one bottle, but keep prescriptions separate.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
is this an issue only for prescription medications? What about vitamins and OTC pills like Advil? I often consolidate different vitamins into one bottle, but keep prescriptions separate.
AFAIK, it's only for prescription medication, technically all prescriptions you need to make sure you have the scripts. Of course, a lot of my drugs they come in a package, that's where the script is attached, and then you have to open it to use the actual prescription (creams, etc.) I guess I'll just have to save the CVS receipts with the script from now on. For example, they give my prevalite in a plastic bag with the script on the plastic bag, even though all it contains is a bunch of powder packets. Same with my eye drops (they can't put the label on the actual bottle) and I don't normally save the original packaging, especially for travel.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I’m just trying to decipher how CBP knows that vitamins/supplements are actually vitamins and not prescription. Like others, I have lots that I put into one central container so as not to carry a half dozen vitamin bottles. I can just see some power hungry agents having a fit over that even tho they aren’t prescription medications. I do carry my prescription medications in the original bottles tho.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 5:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I’m just trying to decipher how CBP knows that vitamins/supplements are actually vitamins and not prescription. Like others, I have lots that I put into one central container so as not to carry a half dozen vitamin bottles. I can just see some power hungry agents having a fit over that even tho they aren’t prescription medications. I do carry my prescription medications in the original bottles tho.
I have no idea if the CBP uses the available tools, however, all approved prescription and over the counter pills in the U.S. are required by the Food and Drug Administration to have an identifying imprint. Here are links to commonly used pill identifiers; 1, 2. There are plenty more such tools and even smartphone apps, some with image recognition capabilities.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
I have no idea if the CBP uses the available tools, however, all approved prescription and over the counter pills in the U.S. are required by the Food and Drug Administration to have an identifying imprint. Here are links to commonly used pill identifiers; 1, 2. There are plenty more such tools and even smartphone apps, some with image recognition capabilities.
That's fascinating, I had no idea. So basically any vitamin or supplement wouldn't need to have this and that's how they should know if it's a pill or a vitamin.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 1:42 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
No, not necessarily. Compounding pharmacists but also drug dealers can easily make anything look like something else, such as a vitamin or supplement pill. So, law enforcement (would not normally be CBP for domestic flights) cannot actually know for certain without testing. Which is why they do an investigation and then, based on the tells of the investigation, decide whether to let something pass or be subjected more rigorous testing.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 1:26 pm

The label on a prescription drug in the United States IS a copy of the prescription. It has the same components: drug, strength, sig (directions), quantity, patient, and prescriber. There is no reason to have any additional paperwork as long as this is all legible and intact.

Pill organizers are immensely useful, but the just can't be used for international travel.

As for other countries:
Australia is exceptionally strict. One has to declare everything. But as long as it is declared and legal in Australia, it is fine. But you must declare it.
The UAE, among a few other countries, have strict rules about commonly-prescribed drugs in the US. This is especially true for amphetamines used to treat ADHD. I have provided written letters to patients, and that has been adequate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.