Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Prescribed Medications

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They've never looked at pills we carry. For a while I was using a liquid medicine in individual dose ampules, in time I discovered the x-ray can't see them and I quit unpacking them.
Old May 28, 2016, 5:55 pm

Traveling with Prescribed Medications

I will be flying for the first time since I started taking some prescription meds. I have four pill bottles. Do I need to do anything special in packing them in my carry-on besides using the original bottles? I had thought about putting the bottles in a separate ziplock bag like the 3-1-1 stuff and marking it as medication, but if that is not necessary, I won't.
Old May 28, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by wormhole
I will be flying for the first time since I started taking some prescription meds. I have four pill bottles. Do I need to do anything special in packing them in my carry-on besides using the original bottles? I had thought about putting the bottles in a separate ziplock bag like the 3-1-1 stuff and marking it as medication, but if that is not necessary, I won't.
I just carry mine in an internal zipped pocket in my carry on. I do keep my meds in their original bottles. I have never been questioned about or shown any of my meds in the ten plus years I've been flying with them on domestic and International flights.
Old May 28, 2016, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47
I just carry mine in an internal zipped pocket in my carry on. I do keep my meds in their original bottles. I have never been questioned about or shown any of my meds in the ten plus years I've been flying with them on domestic and International flights.
Thanks. I will pack them the way I originally planned. Won't do anything special outside of original bottles.
Old May 28, 2016, 8:24 pm

For US domestic flights, you can pretty much do anything.
Definitely no need to take them out of your bag.

I've never, ever been asked about medication anywhere in the world, nor have I ever had a patient experience any problems.

For travel outside the United States:
It's hard to get a straight answer, but the FDA says that a 90-day supply of medication in its original packaging is fine. The label on the bottle or box of pills constitutes a prescription: your name, the prescriber's name, the drug, the quantity, etc.

There have been horror stories of passengers who put their pills in daily "pill boxes," thereby making them hard to identify. Just use the original bottle.

The same applies for most other countries.
You only have to exercise caution with certain non-US destinations, particularly the UAE and Australia. These countries require you to declare all medications, and even require the prescriber to write a letter documenting that you have a legitimate reason for taking them.

I recommend that those going overseas avoid traveling with pseudoephedrine and products that contain it. It is over the counter in many places, but it is heavily controlled. If you can live without it; don't take it with you.
Old May 28, 2016, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For domestic travel, pills are simply a non-issue.

Overseas, you do need to pay attention to local laws which may control drugs which are not controlled in the US or limit quantities for those that are.

Do bear in mind that drugs which are easily obtained in the US may be close to priceless in parts of the world. Treat them like other valuables.
Old May 28, 2016, 10:04 pm

Programs: Delta, United
When traveling internationally also check to make sure your Rx is legal in any and all countries one is transiting through or stopping in.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mats
For US domestic flights, you can pretty much do anything.
Definitely no need to take them out of your bag.

I've never, ever been asked about medication anywhere in the world, nor have I ever had a patient experience any problems.
Second this. The only headache I've ever run into is with the volume of stuff. At times my diet gets reduced to stuff that has to be mail-ordered. Customs has never glanced at it, TSA waved one of their magic strips over a prepared bottle (but didn't give me grief over liquids as I had the medical looking box right there.) The airlines, though, have put up a fuss over an extra suitcase of medical stuff. For the next flight I have a letter from the doc, I'll see what happens.
Old May 29, 2016, 5:28 am

I don't think you will be having any problems carrying your prescription pills. Anyway, that is your meds so I doubt if they question you for bring them on plane. I always bring mine and they never question me. In a day, I need to take 7 pills so imagine how many I usually carry whenever I go on like 1-2 weeks abroad.
Old May 29, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Domestically, as long as they're pills, you're fine. If they're liquids, you need to declare them to TSA and they need to be screened. Prescription liquids aren't subject to the 3 oz rule.
Old May 29, 2016, 10:09 am

Thanks all. This is a domestic flight and no prsecription liquids.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:44 am

I don't even bother keeping them in their original bottles, takes up too much space. I just use one of those small travel pill cases. It has never attracted any attention. YMMV.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
My nitro pills, in their original, clearly-labelled prescription bottles, were confiscated. The outer bottle didn't alarm during a swab, but the TSO said the substance nitro is banned in all forms, any quantity.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by chollie
My nitro pills, in their original, clearly-labelled prescription bottles, were confiscated. The outer bottle didn't alarm during a swab, but the TSO said the substance nitro is banned in all forms, any quantity.
I just returned home yesterday without any problems with my pills. Although they are for a heart issue, no nitro was involved (I don't need it).
Old Jun 3, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: GE
Originally Posted by chollie
Interestingly, TSA seems to have responded almost directly to your original post:

Nitroglycerin tablets and spray (used to treat episodes of angina in people who have coronary artery disease) are permitted and have never been prohibited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.