Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Do you need to take the cash out of your pockets when going through the scanner?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you need to take the cash out of your pockets when going through the scanner?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

I fly once, maybe twice a year. Last year, I had some currency and my boarding pass in my pockets. No problems. This year, I was patted down twice and it wasn't until the Vegas airport that the TSA agent explained that anything showing up will result in a pat down: paper, money, a tissue. I was carrying money, an empty plastic bag, my itinerary, my boarding pass; I saw my scan and my left thigh and right butt lit up the screen. All I heard as we were waiting at the TSA checkpoint was to remove wallets, coins, metal objects...the standard items. Maybe the heightened security is because of some negative reviews about TSA not strictly following guidelines? I dunno. Those people do a valuable and necessary job, but being more informative and consistent would be helpful. Needless to say, the lines moved slowly. Guys, take a fanny pack/murse; if you have someone with a backpack or purse, as him/her to hold it for a few minutes.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:07 pm

When I use the body scanner (I usually opt out unless it's very busy) they have allowed me to hold my ID and cash in my hands after a hand inspection.

Similarly I've had them allow me to put the cash on a table in front of me with my ID during an opt out pat down.

However, I would reccomend pulling cash out post security if at all possible rather than broadcast to everyone in the security line you have cash. The Schwab debit card has zero FT fees and you can discreetly pull cash out on location.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:52 am

I've been used to not having a wallet with me when going through a scanner. Same goes with keys, coins, and phone.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:38 am

I just fill my bags with most of my stuff before getting to the airport, and I dump everything else into a bag or jacket pocket before security, though I sometimes dump it into a bin. I don't have a wad of cash to lose in those cases, but my phone and passport possibly. Stil, I exercise caution, and prefer the bag or jacket pocket route. I keep nothing in my pockets, esp. paper money as there is metal in those.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I have been asked to ensure my pockets are empty before going into the scanner and I put my money ( usually in the wallet) in my carry on or in the tray/jacket

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Body scanners will definitely alarm on any objects in your pockets, including cash, ID, boarding pass, and of course anything substantial like a phone or wallet. They will sometimes alarm on thicker clothing, too, such as cargo pockets, which is why TSA requires you to divest yourself of any outerwear (coats, jackets, sweaters, gloves, hats, etc) before being scanned.

Walk-through metal detectors will only alarm on metal.

Best practice is to empty your pockets and lock the contents, and your outerwear, in your carry-on bag, before you even enter the queue to the checkpoint. Keep out only your ID and boarding pass, which you will need to show the TDC, and as soon as you pass the TDC, lock your ID and BP up in your bag as well.

It often takes me a good five minutes to put myself back together after I transit a c/p (put shoes and belt back on, put stuff back in pockets, put laptop back in carry-on, pull stuff out of carry-on that I need in my seat, etc), so I do whatever I can to make the process of divesting and re-vesting go smoothly and quickly. A little preparation can go a long way toward easing the pain.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Body scanners will definitely alarm on any objects in your pockets, including cash, ID, boarding pass, and of course anything substantial like a phone or wallet. They will sometimes alarm on thicker clothing, too, such as cargo pockets, which is why TSA requires you to divest yourself of any outerwear (coats, jackets, sweaters, gloves, hats, etc) before being scanned.

Walk-through metal detectors will only alarm on metal.

Best practice is to empty your pockets and lock the contents, and your outerwear, in your carry-on bag, before you even enter the queue to the checkpoint. Keep out only your ID and boarding pass, which you will need to show the TDC, and as soon as you pass the TDC, lock your ID and BP up in your bag as well.

It often takes me a good five minutes to put myself back together after I transit a c/p (put shoes and belt back on, put stuff back in pockets, put laptop back in carry-on, pull stuff out of carry-on that I need in my seat, etc), so I do whatever I can to make the process of divesting and re-vesting go smoothly and quickly. A little preparation can go a long way toward easing the pain.
YES! Please prepare BEFOREHAND. It does a world of help.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
It varies widely from airport to airport. Even airports within the same country can have different procedures. Whilst a national regulator can enforce what it decides should be minimum standards and procedure, whilst airport A might just follow those minimum standards there is no reason why the operator of Airport B might not enforce stricter standards than the national requirements.

I think it is best to have a lockable pocket on your cabin baggage and divest all valuables into that whilst cabin baggage is xrayed. Then you don't need to get too worried about the security of your stuff whilst you go through the archway metal detector, body scanner etc. Also, if you get delayed and selected for a full body pat down search you know your valuables are locked up.

At a well run checkpoint there will be signs and staff will also advise you exactly what you must divest into trays and what must be removed from cabin baggage. The checkpoint staff should also ensure you can always maintain a line of sight so you can monitor your cabin baggage. Unfortunately many checkpoints are poorly designed and/or build it constricted areas which makes it hard to allow pax to always see their bags. Also many security staff do not proactively advise pax on what to divest and many screening points lack posters. Some airports do it well. Many do it appallingly.

It is best to get everything out of your pockets IMO as it reduces liklihood of you setting off an alarm or creating an issue the screener needs to resolve. So if you can lock it all in a cabin bag, this is best in my opinion.

I always ask the staff about their policy on what needs to be divested etc. It is amazing at how many airports the staff do not know!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.