Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Different Names on Dual Citizen Italian Passport and US Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Different Names on Dual Citizen Italian Passport and US Passport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:46 pm

Like I said, it's pretty well known that Italy can be extremely fussy about names matching.

"One of the requirements of the Italian consulate is that all names, places and dates must match across all records. Some consulates are more particular and require the records match exactly while others aren’t as concerned about minor discrepancies such as dates that are a few days off, first names and even minor misspellings in the last names."

https://www.italiancitizenshipforame...ns-to-records/

"For future posters, Miami will not accept a document with any surname discrepancies, no matter how trivial or obvious or small. All documents but have the same surname and same date of birth, or your application will be rejected." (2008)

https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/emigration/10225
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: various
Assuming you haven't already done so, why don't you make an appointment with the Italian Consulate in Chicago and have them identify your documentation needs for citizenship and where the specific problems are likely to be? It really sounds like the crux of problems with your provenance trail will be your father's identity and his connection to your grandfather, not you changing your legal name every few months like a ping-pong match.

This really isn't a China issue since you'd be foolish at least for the next 8 years to travel to there on anything other than your current passport/visa.
garykung and malmostoso like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:17 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Cross-posting is a violation of FlyerTalk Rules 6.

Since the OP has asked a virtually identical question in the China forum, this thread is closed for moderator's review for a determination of the most appropriate home for this topic.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 26, 2019 at 8:33 am
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:14 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note

Both of the OP's threads have now been relocated to the Practical TSS forum and merged.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Now I know it isn't a China issue. Before I was concerned that something weird would happen and I would end up stranded in China for 2 or 3 months. Am amazed that they don't apparently cross-check dual citizen passports in some sort of substantial way. I have already accumulated 95% of the docs necessary to apply for Italian citizenship and know that the consulate closest to me is in Detroit.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I have Italian citizenship through my husband. Let me tell you, it was not easy and we even lived there for a few years. It is an onerous process and our situation was very straightforward - marriage to an Italian citizen/resident vs second or third generation genealogy, no name change issues. It still took two years and multiple requests for additional documents (apostiles, civic registration documents etc) and translations. Don’t expect it to be easy, trust me.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:49 am
Original Poster

I have no expectation that it will be easy per se because of the name change issues. However, there is an active board here https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/ital...-sanguinis-f5/ and a fair amount of people who had their documents lined up correctly got their dual citizenship approved without that many problems. In fact, as I write this there is someone I know in Cincinnati whose application was approved without much trouble.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
If you already have a Chinese visa, I don't really understand what the thread is even about. If it's a visa in say an expired US passport, just renew your US passport. It's pretty common to have multi-year visas still valid in an old passport. Just hand it over with your new one and you're good to go. If you want to use an Italian passport with the visa in a US one, obviously that won't work, regardless of the names. Why would you want to do that anyways? There's no need to change your name, having different names in different passports is not a problem. Plenty of women who move to a country for marriage keep their home passports in their maiden names and if they get a US one, in their new last name.

For the Italian passport, you should be able to use your English name. I don't think it's male-line descent as a requirement for 2nd or 3rd gen citizenship, so it's expected that if Italian grandpa had a daughter who married someone and then had you, you're name wouldn't be the same as his.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by DaileyB
I already hav a 10 yr. Chinese visa with about 8 years left.
Just use that - if they dont know about other passports then keep it that way. Why make your life complicated, if u can have it simple. I never carry my passport, unless I travel within China (just have a scan on my phone, but not even that sometimes)
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Catacony and Timestamps: In this age of counterterrorism and high airport security, I just assumed that my passports would be cross-checked a nd that different names would cause major problems. Apparently that is not the case, Good news for me and my family. Thanks for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.