Wiki Posts
Search

Powder in Carry-on Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Powder in Carry-on Luggage

Since last week Air India and Singapore Airlines have been saying that powder like substances over 350ml will no longer be permitted in the cabin. No mention of this on tsa.gov or any other airline's websites as far as I can see today.

From AI: Carriage of Powder like substances in Hand (Carry-on) Baggage on all US bound flights

Carriage of any Powder or Powder like substances, in Hand or Carry-on baggage:

1. 12oz (350ml) or larger is prohibited, except for the powders listed below:
Medically prescribed powder like substances, baby formula, and human remains 12oz (350ml) or larger may be transported in hand baggage in cabin of the aircraft.
Such powders if carried in any sealed containers will be inspected for signs of alteration or tampering to the packaging (for example, breaks, cracks, or holes in the wrapping, protective cover, or seal) and if carried in containers that are unsealed or having signs of alteration or tampering will be inspected to ensure that the contents are consistent with the container / packaging.
Duty-free powder containers inside of a properly sealed Secure Tamper Evident Bag (STEB) may be allowed through the checkpoint and transported in the cabin of an aircraft.

2. Powder like substance of any quantity may be placed in checked baggage and transported in the baggage hold area of the aircraft.

From SQ: Additional security measures for non-stop US-bound flights

The Transport Security Administration (TSA) may require customers travelling on non-stop flights to the United States to undergo enhanced security measures. Such checks may include the inspection of powder-like substances where powder-like substances that are 12oz (350ml) or larger will not be allowed for carriage in the cabin. Customers are advised to place such items in their checked baggage. Medically-prescribed powder-like substances, baby formula, human remains and duty-free powder containers inside a properly sealed Secure Tamper Evident Bag (STEB) may be brought into the cabin.

Customers are advised to proceed to the boarding gates early to allow sufficient time for the enhanced security measures.

Last edited by Steve_ZA; Jun 18, 2018 at 3:19 am Reason: fixed formatting
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I saw a reference to the following news item in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum:
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

And here is an article from USA Today:
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:29 am
Original Poster

There seems to be a gap between "scrutiny" (USA Today) and "prohibited" or "restricted" from the other sources.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:25 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Also in Australia:

TravelSECURE

From 30 June 2018, people travelling internationally will notice some changes to how they are screened in Australia. Passengers will be required to present all powders in their carry-on baggage separately for screening.

There will be quantity restrictions on some types of powders but most common powders remain unrestricted. Check the powder, liquid, aerosol and gel restrictions before you travel.
Fair dinkum unbelievable!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Just to clear things up from the same source:

Powders

1. There is no limit on organic powders, such as food and powdered baby formula.
  2. There are quantity restrictions on the amount of inorganic powder that can be carried, such as salt, talcum powder and sand.
  3. Inorganic powders must be in containers of 350 millilitres (volume), 350 grams (weight) or less.
  4. The total volume of inorganic powders must not exceed 350 millilitres, 350 grams per person.
  5. Passengers cannot tip powders out to fall under the 350ml threshold as the restriction is calculated on total container volume.
There are no restrictions on the number of containers of inorganic powders per person, provided the total volume of all the containers of inorganic powder is 350 millilitres or less.

At the screening point all powders in your carry-on baggage must be separately presented for screening. Unlike liquids, they do not need to be put in a re-sealable plastic bag.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:12 am

Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

When posting in this thread, please keep in mind that per the sticky thread that per the sticky thread this forum is informational.

Please limit your contributions here to questions, practical advice, data points and information.

Opinions, commentary and rants belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate, where this topic is already under discussion.

Post(s) have been moved. Future non-informational posts will be summarily deleted without further notice.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:31 am

In The New York Times:
T.S.A. Expands International Carry-On Limits to Powder [Permalink]

<snip>

The limit on powders to 350 milliliters, or roughly 12 ounces, the size of a can of soda, has been enforced since last summer on domestic flights when the agency began enhanced security screening procedures, including requiring fliers to place all personal electronics larger than a cellphone in a separate bin for screening. Beginning June 30, it will ask international screeners to adopt the limits on powders for fliers coming into the United States.

<snip>

Rather than being banned, powders in amounts greater than 350 milliliters will be subject to extra scrutiny. If screeners can’t be sure they are safe, travelers will be told to discard or check them. Those carrying acceptable amounts of powders may keep them in their carry-ons, though T.S.A. screeners may ask fliers, on secondary inspection, to place them in a separate bin for screening if they obstruct X-ray machines from getting clear images.

<snip>
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
"If screeners can't be sure they are safe..."

Is that another way of saying 'screener discretion', or does training include a series of steps to identify and clear the powder?

A few years ago, I posed on this forum about some powder I wanted to take on the plane. It was dried mud from a hot spring - does lovely stuff to your skin. A TSO who posted frequently on the forum at the time said it likely wouldn't present a problem. Out of an abundance of caution, I only took part of the powdered mud.

It was confiscated, I posted about it, and to this day, I don't really know why. The screener just kept saying it was a prohibited 'organic', IIRC, but that was based on me telling him what the substance was, not on any tests he performed to determine that it was an 'organic', prohibited or otherwise.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:41 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
More info on Australia's implementation of this: https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...ed2a712d175076

Australia is using the premise that the screener has the final say ("screener discretion") and if they cannot identify the substance, it will be confiscated and discarded. Unlike the US however, Australia only limits the total quantity of inorganic powders (talcum powder, that sort of thing) and permits an unlimited amount of organic powders (baby powder, whey protein, salt) - though they are still required to be screened separately. ABF also calculates the volume of powder on the size of the container, so if you have a 500ml container it will be confiscated even if it only contains 300ml worth of powder.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:24 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by kyanar
More info on Australia's implementation of this: https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...ed2a712d175076

Australia is using the premise that the screener has the final say ("screener discretion") and if they cannot identify the substance, it will be confiscated and discarded. Unlike the US however, Australia only limits the total quantity of inorganic powders (talcum powder, that sort of thing) and permits an unlimited amount of organic powders (baby powder, whey protein, salt) - though they are still required to be screened separately. ABF also calculates the volume of powder on the size of the container, so if you have a 500ml container it will be confiscated even if it only contains 300ml worth of powder.
Baby Powder is talc and it is inorganic - I think you meant baby formula. Salt is also inorganic and it is not a powder; it is crystalline - so is sand. But the article got it right, sort of. Cosmetics are generally inorganic.

I know it is way too much to expect that these agencies understand basic chemistry.
altabello likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
"If screeners can't be sure they are safe..."

Is that another way of saying 'screener discretion', or does training include a series of steps to identify and clear the powder?
So what's the solution for non-prescription medical stuff?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
So what's the solution for non-prescription medical stuff?
I guess we have to wait until we're at the checkpoint to find out.

I often travel with multiple 'powder-like substances' in individual containers and packets. I am wondering if a screener going to take the time to calculate the total amount of my packets and containers to ensure that the total is less than 350 ml. It sounds easy to say 'about the size of a soda can', but I don't mix all my powder-like substances together.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
I guess we have to wait until we're at the checkpoint to find out.

I often travel with multiple 'powder-like substances' in individual containers and packets. I am wondering if a screener going to take the time to calculate the total amount of my packets and containers to ensure that the total is less than 350 ml. It sounds easy to say 'about the size of a soda can', but I don't mix all my powder-like substances together.
Yeah. I'm looking at carrying a bunch of little plastic bottles of powder, total over 350ml. The stuff is not well behaved in a humid climate, being able to open only today's would be an advantage--but that means it's not in the original labeled container which is obviously of a medical nature.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:48 am
Original Poster

The TSA has updated their guidance on power-like substances (my bolding):
Powder-like substances greater than 12 oz. / 350 mL must be placed in a separate bin for X-ray screening. They may require additional screening and containers may need to be opened. For your convenience, we encourage you to place non-essential powders greater than 12 oz. in checked bags.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...energy-powders

International carriers are still saying that containers of powder-like substances over 350ml are prohibited.

Additional example, Qatar Airways: https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...-to-the-U-S-A-
Powder-like substances are described as being like: flour, spices, ground coffee, sugar, powdered milk and cosmetics. Passengers departing for the U.S. are required to place powder-like substances of 12 ounces (approximately 350 millilitres) or larger, in their checked in baggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.