Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Can’t believe this happened to me :( [Luggage Stolen While Checking in to Hotel]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can’t believe this happened to me :( [Luggage Stolen While Checking in to Hotel]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by scottandtracy

I thought this may have been happening as well (unfortunately in hindsite). The manager and front desk personnel stated it was the first theft they have had from their hotel in this manner — they were helpful (comped the room, free food/bottle of wine, and paid for a taxi to take me to the tourist police station and back to report the crime. I hesitate to badmouth the place on line. I still think I’m an optimist and that this was a bad luck event for me, not a recurring scheme on tourists checking in. The police did not mention any similar incidents at the hotel in the past. Just a random day where we missed our flight to Istanbul, decided to stay overnight in Athens. A week ago we stayed at the Grande Hotel Bretagne but wanted a smaller boutique place this time, last minute. Was not the Hilton btw.
i think I could have elevated the discussion to who’s fault it was since the bellman had “taken” our bags but the layout of the check in area was such that we were distracted and the exit door was close — we were directly adjacent to a square with lots of cafes and people. I was the unsuspecting antelope with a bunch of tigers around I’m afraid.

i did discuss better baggage management to the staff so this didn’t happen to others. Lessons learned — Athens indeed is a place to be on guard, at all times. Just ask any local and the stories are sad and sometimes eye opening. I wouldn’t stay at the small places next time — big flashy places for me 😂. Still love Greece though . Milos and Crete already planned for next summer 👍
I may have an unpopular opinion, but if the hotel comped your room I would *NOT* name them here on TA or anywhere.

1. They are doing what they can to make it up to you and taking some responsibility.
2. They obviously aren't in the business of trading free hotel rooms for a cut of whatever is in a random tourist's bag. That's a bad business model.

While they might indeed never tell you that this is a common occurrence at their hotel if it was, I'd be inclined to think that they are instead telling the truth (especially with police corroboration). That also means they are probably going to be on the lookout for the bellman's behavior as well and he'll either stop or not be there much longer since bag theft will now be something management is aware of (giving the lost revenues).

Sorry about your experience and thanks for the heads up. We've been fortunate to dodge theft so far but we absolutely would fall victim to this ourselves.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
I put all my valuables in my computer bag and it is always kept by me, never given to anyone or even put in the boot of a taxi. As far as the suitcase goes it would be inconvenient losing it but if someone is desparate to wash my dirty socks and jocks I think why deprive them of the pleasure.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: Global Mercenary
Sorry this happened to you. But as I was planning a trip to athens with family next winter, I am glad I ran across this forum. I am definitely going to find some other location for our trip. It's a damn shame that a city's reputation can be tarnished so easily here, but I have no other choice but to alter the plans. If something happened to us on the trip, I would forever regret my decision.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vj_rama
Sorry this happened to you. But as I was planning a trip to athens with family next winter, I am glad I ran across this forum. I am definitely going to find some other location for our trip. It's a damn shame that a city's reputation can be tarnished so easily here, but I have no other choice but to alter the plans. If something happened to us on the trip, I would forever regret my decision.
What a shame that you will change your plans over one thread about a stolen suitcase and a few pickpockets. Athens is an amazing vibrant history-rich city that I have stayed in and wandered dozens of times over the last 50 years and have NEVER had a negative experience. Never. What is described here could happen in any city in the world. The lesson learned is vigilance and knowledge.
muji and HMPS like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by vj_rama
Been to Athens multiple times. Just be aware of your surroundings, learn to "read" people / atmosphere. Take safeguards. The simplest is to wind a rubber band around your wallet, difficult to slide out with the friction !

These things can happen anywhere....traveler beware !
muji and altabello like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
This is why I never let them take my luggage when I arrive, anywhere. It stays with me until I get to my room.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by david55
What a shame that you will change your plans over one thread about a stolen suitcase and a few pickpockets. Athens is an amazing vibrant history-rich city that I have stayed in and wandered dozens of times over the last 50 years and have NEVER had a negative experience. Never. What is described here could happen in any city in the world. The lesson learned is vigilance and knowledge.
Agree with you. These things happen all over. We have to be on guard with common sense behaviour. Met a couple in Rio, man lost his wallet on the beach at 10 AM ! Hardly any people around and was victim to "is this dropped ten US yours" ? Funny enough met the same cpl in Barcelona on the pedestrians only avenue . After chatting with him , asked him about his fancy camera. "Oh I lost it yesterday on this street . How ? "we were sitting on the steps here, put it right next to me to get something out of the backpack, next minute turned around and it was gone !" He was just not paying attention to where he was and how to look after his belonging.
So vj_Rama go to Athens, Rio, Rome , Mumbai etc and enjoy life & other cultures. These things happen all over, more some places than other....question of local economy & demographics.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
There are plenty of places that I’ll avoid because of petty crime and hassles like this. Being aware of your surroundings is important, but feeling you have to have your hand on your wallet at every moment just gets old.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by scottandtracy
The manager and front desk personnel stated it was the first theft they have had from their hotel in this manner
"How awful! NOTHING like this has ever happened here BEFORE!"

This is best described by a mildly profane term that in polite company means male bovine excrement.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

There are plenty of places that I’ll avoid because of petty crime and hassles like this. Being aware of your surroundings is important, but feeling you have to have your hand on your wallet at every moment just gets old.
I would agree.... but Athens is not one of these places. There is a difference in being vigilant and aware....and paranoid.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

I would agree.... but Athens is not one of these places. There is a difference in being vigilant and aware....and paranoid.
Yes there are plenty of areas in many countries and cities as is in USA. If you know , have researched a bit you know to avoid it.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I have to say I find the fact that the hotel has a bellman whose primary responsibility is to greet and assist with luggage could even let something like this happen sounds quite suspicious to me. With the ease the OP claims it happened, this certainly was not the first time.......A TA review is definitely in order.....
To me it's suspicious that the hotel staff were so willing to let the accomplice leave before the police arrived. I wonder whether some hotel staff were in on the scheme, even if hotel management was not involved and did make some customer service gestures to the OP.

BTW, I never considered Athens or Greece in general to be especially scary in terms of street crime, but Naples, Rome, Madrid, and Barcelona would be on my list, plus Moscow and of course Rio.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
You really can't lump Athens in with Rio de Janeiro. In my 50 trips or so to Rio, I've seen every type of crime, including muggings under the canopy at the entrance to the JW Marriott. While there is petty crime in Athens, there's petty crime in all major cities. I've seen the bag theft thing many times and I just never understand why people give their bags to some random person 2 seconds after they arrive at a hotel, or leave their stuff unattended. Also, when theft victims claim that whatever was only out of their sight for a few seconds, it's almost always far longer than that.

The basic rules apply everywhere. Keep your stuff in sight, don't leave your bag/backpack/purse sitting around unattended, don't take anything outside that you don't need. Leave the expensive jewelry at home, keep the electronics to a minimum, carry the minimum amount of stuff in your wallet/purse. One credit card, one ATM card, drivers license, health insurance card, a small amount of money. That's it. As always, with basic precautions and maintaining awareness, you'll be okay. There are always easy targets around tourist areas so your job is to not be an easy target. You'll always be a target, since if you're there you're presumed to be rich, but criminals are adept at stack ranking the easiest targets. Basically, if there are four targets and you have your stuff zipped up and are watchful, and the other three have cameras and bulky purses and the women have nice jewelry and the guy is wearing an expensive watch or the kid has a $1,000 phone in his/her hands, the bad guys will hit them before you.
HMPS and :D! like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:10 am

Greece named safest destination in the world

https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/4878...G2ynQpYWPSsEmg
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: Travel
Sorry, this happened to you. I don't think it happened because of careless, even if I'm in your position I'll do the same thing. The main problem whenever we are inside the hotel's premise, we think our property is safe, but these peoples come with perfect plans, and they are experienced in it. Here we can't blame the hotel's staff even because maybe they were diverted by the gang's member. Better do not trust an unknown person and always keep eyes on our property. Athens is one of the best city for holidays, but these peoples are polluting the name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.