Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Where do I go through Customs/Immigration? [Flying to AMS with a connection in DUB]

Where do I go through Customs/Immigration? [Flying to AMS with a connection in DUB]

Old May 13, 19, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)

We are flying to Amsterdam, Holland but changing flights in Dublin. Do we go through Immigration and Customs in Dublin or in Amsterdam? I can see it both ways. If in Dublin, I assume we will have to recheck bags and go through Security again - a pain.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 13, 19, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, Marriott PLT, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Deleted

Last edited by garykung; May 13, 19 at 10:07 pm Reason: Wrong Direction.
Old May 13, 19, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Gary,
do we check our luggage to AMS or DUB? If AMS, will we have to do the immigration and customs stuff at DUB and then throw them onto the “continuation belt”? I assume that the DUB - AMS flight will then be a normal flight w/o any further checking. This would affect our pickup for a Shuttle service.

thanks for the info.

DD
Old May 13, 19, 7:44 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Ireland is outside the Schengen Zone so you will have to clear immigration and customs at AMS. DUB will solely be a transit point and you should remain airside (unless you are on separate PNRs and/or need to go airside to collect baggage)
Old May 13, 19, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks SOL.

Does anyone one know the range of Customs/Immigration at AMS around Noon (12:45) on a Sunday in May?

Doggy Daddy
Old May 13, 19, 10:19 pm

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
Which airlines are involved and is this a single or separate tickets as the answer may change

if a single ticket your bags should be tagged through to AMS and you’ll clear customs there. You don’t collect them in DUB.

At DUB there is a transit route for well passengers in transit. Details on the DUB website.

You clear immigration at AMS to enter the Schengen Zone.

as to how long this takes depends on what other flights have landed around that time and the number of non EU passport holders on them. EU passport holders are able to use e-gates others present themselves to an Immigration Officer.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; May 13, 19 at 11:12 pm
Old May 14, 19, 4:20 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
Thanks SOL.

Does anyone one know the range of Customs/Immigration at AMS around Noon (12:45) on a Sunday in May?

Doggy Daddy
They don't open a lot of counters as most traffic is EU/ECC. But they are pretty quick at processing and don't usually ask questions so you shouldn't be in line for more than 20 minutes but YMMV.
Old May 15, 19, 2:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
Thanks SOL.

Doggy Daddy
When I enter into Schengen at AMS at around that time of day on a Sunday, I would say passport control is mostly anywhere between a 0-15 minute wait, more usually closer to a sub-5 minute wait than anything else. But Iím also mostly transiting AMS to go to other Schengen destinations.
Old May 15, 19, 6:52 am

I don't remember ever having to wait longer than 10-15 minutes in Amsterdam (as a non-EU passport holder), but I don't remember which days or times of day.

I transited Dublin en route to Amsterdam in 2005, and at that time, I had to go through immigration because there wasn't any airside transit at that time, if I remember correctly. I actually would have needed a visa to enter Ireland, but they let me through with a stamp anyway. I could have absconded in Dublin. I don't remember whether I had to collect my luggage, though; I don't think I did.

Last edited by cafeconleche; May 15, 19 at 6:55 am Reason: adding information
Old May 17, 19, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I’ll post what happened when I get back (in two weeks).

DD
Old May 17, 19, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cafeconleche View Post
I don't remember ever having to wait longer than 10-15 minutes in Amsterdam (as a non-EU passport holder), but I don't remember which days or times of day.

I transited Dublin en route to Amsterdam in 2005, and at that time, I had to go through immigration because there wasn't any airside transit at that time, if I remember correctly. I actually would have needed a visa to enter Ireland, but they let me through with a stamp anyway. I could have absconded in Dublin. I don't remember whether I had to collect my luggage, though; I don't think I did.
AMS arrival passport control on Sunday at around or before noon hasn't been too bad in my experience; but for some reason Sunday seems to have younger and more aggressive passport control personnel working than is typical during the rest of the week on average, but even that doesn't really slow down things much. I would say that I can't remember the last time I waited even 15+ minutes to do arrival passport control at AMS -- as it's that fast. It's exiting Schengen at AMS that seems to have slower and more extreme times in my experience, but even that is pretty smooth compared to say what I've experienced at other Schengen passport control locations.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 17, 19 at 12:36 pm