Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost passport on flight home!!

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Lost passport on flight home!!

Colleague is on a US bound Delta Flight that is landing in 90 minutes, and for the life of him, he cannot locate his passport. He thinks he may have dropped it on the jet-way on the way to the plane.

Will US customs let him in? He is a US Citizen, and the only ID he has is a driver's license - he also has global entry (useless without his passport).

Thoughts?
Old May 4, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Lost Passport

If your friend is a US citizen, then he will be admitted into the US without a passport. He will just have to endurie some pointed questions and extra procedures. Not fun. Next time, he should buy a neck pouch (such as on Amazon) and always keep it on his body.
miklcct likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by Bowgie
If your friend is a US citizen, then he will be admitted into the US without a passport. He will just have to endurie some pointed questions and extra procedures. Not fun. Next time, he should buy a neck pouch (such as on Amazon) and always keep it on his body.
are you speaking from experience?
Old May 4, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
He will be admitted no matter what. But we can hope he has the chance to look hard when he lands and can move around. I have had this same fear before but always found it. A Delta maintenance worker once told me they sometimes find passports and money and whatever else wedged in odd places during both line and off-line maintenance.
trooper likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 4:29 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Travel Safety/Security Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old May 4, 2019, 4:38 pm

He will be admitted. He should go to the global entry kiosk and ask an agent for assistance. Might be a good idea to go into his delta profile and get his passport number and write it down. Hopefully he is landing at a user friendly airport.
Old May 4, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Can he download the mobile passport app while en route and use that? I have GE so don’t use the mobile passport, but my understanding is that you can get it quickly.
Old May 4, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA
I believe that with Global Entry, he can tap on the "cant read passport" button and manually enter his passport and flight details, scan his fingerprints, and receive a slip. He still will have some explaining to do for the officer at GE, but the slip might ease the process.
Old May 4, 2019, 7:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by YadiMolina
I believe that with Global Entry, he can tap on the "cant read passport" button and manually enter his passport and flight details, scan his fingerprints, and receive a slip. He still will have some explaining to do for the officer at GE, but the slip might ease the process.
Wouldn't you lose GE for trying to use it without a passport...?
Old May 4, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Can he download the mobile passport app while en route and use that? I have GE so don’t use the mobile passport, but my understanding is that you can get it quickly.
The mobile passport app is not a substitute for the physical passport.
GUWonder likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by pewpew
Wouldn't you lose GE for trying to use it without a passport...?
Considering people have lost GE for bringing in an apple, I would certainly never try to use a kiosk without the passport.
Old May 4, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by fumje
The mobile passport app is not a substitute for the physical passport.
Yes, I realize that. However, do passengers always show both if they have the mobile passport or do they usually show only the mobile?
Old May 4, 2019, 8:58 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Yes, I realize that. However, do passengers always show both if they have the mobile passport or do they usually show only the mobile?
They have alwayz asked to see my passport when I show them my app.

Also, if you don't already have the app set up on your phone, you won't be able to set it up without the passport. You hafto actually scan the bar codes into the app with the phone's camera, kind of the same way you make check deposit into your bank account.
Old May 4, 2019, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Colleague is on a US bound Delta Flight that is landing in 90 minutes, and for the life of him, he cannot locate his passport. He thinks he may have dropped it on the jet-way on the way to the plane.

Will US customs let him in? He is a US Citizen, and the only ID he has is a driver's license - he also has global entry (useless without his passport).

Thoughts?
This isn’t all that unusual in that it happens and there are procedures to allow such people in. Recognized US citizens are legally entitled to be admitted to the US on arrival to a US port of entry, with or without a passport. But for that purpose, he will be asked for identifying information (and identity-confirming type of info) and then they will try to use that (and whatever other ID he may be able to present to them or that they can find out about) so they can use it to verify his US identity and US citizenship and admit him into the US thereafter. Do you know his situation by now?
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: Priority Club Pl, Marriot Gold, Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, TSA Pre✓
Suggestions to avoid losing a passport and what to have if it is lost:
-- buy Craghoppers pants and shorts - these have 5 zippered pockets. I keep my and my wife's passport in the front left pocket and my wallet in the right pocket and my international call capable smartphone in the leg pocket. A pouch around the neck is good alternative but because I am overweight, I find a pouch uncomfortable.
-- Carry color copies of the identification of the passport and any needed visa pages. We have laminated one of the copies for each of us.
-- File additional copies of the passport on an online site - Dropbox, Google Drive, Evernote, etc. (We also store insurance, medical, financial, and other documents in Evernote and FileThis.)

We travel six months a year and we are both close to 70 so it is important that we have a system to help us not lose things and to keep needed information available.
DeepUnderground and freQ like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.